Chapala.com Webboard

Ishmat's New Restaurant

FlyFree

Opened today, did well on first day....very clean stainless steel kitchen, comfortable new chairs with four tables inside. New private banos/ common sink in rear. Fried chicken looked good, will have to compare to KFC or Tony’s. Probably a lot of take away clients due to location across from soccer field on lower Revolucion where Wednesday market locates. Kids will like the little “ slider “ burgers !  Ismat’s recipes at Gossips are always very tasty so will expect the same for his chicken & burgers.

A Satisfied Diner at Gossips over the years !

Stopped to pick up mail at SolyLuna and got chicken for carry out.  Good - choice of 5 or 6 sauces. Also ordered mac&cheese and a garden salad.  Also came with four rolls.  So far so good.....but I ordered 8 pieces of chicken so will be eating for several days.

Eight BIG pieces of chicken - no little odd cuts, 1 portion of mac&cheese, good sized garden salad - no room after 2 pieces of chicken. Came with 4 rolls, salad dressing, BBQ sauce and another container of sauce I haven't opened yet. 317 pesos.  But there are smaller packages with choice of type of meat or nuggets.. and probably 4 types of hamburgers plus the small size.  Must have been 5 - 8 choice of sides.

2 hours ago, Ellie said:

Eight BIG pieces of chicken - no little odd cuts, 1 portion of mac&cheese, good sized garden salad - no room after 2 pieces of chicken. Came with 4 rolls, salad dressing, BBQ sauce and another container of sauce I haven't opened yet. 317 pesos.  But there are smaller packages with choice of type of meat or nuggets.. and probably 4 types of hamburgers plus the small size.  Must have been 5 - 8 choice of sides.

Wow, very good prices, bargain!

Soriana fried chicken definitely the best around til now. Too bad they leave their salads totally exposed.

Will be at Ismat's place this afternoon. Now taking bets on which day he is closed. Even if he opened just yesterday.

If someone would, please tell Ismat that Chucho says hello (Chucho is our doggie), that we hope all is well and that we are still stuck in Texas.  We were Thursday Gossip’s regulars but it has been almost four years since we were in town.  Everywhere we went people would ask “where is Chucho?”.  One day at Gossip’s I overheard another diner whisper to her friend, “that’s the most famous dog in Ajijic”.  We got a chuckle from that.

It seems a shame to smack a restaurant so early in the game, but Ismat should know his stuff by now. My guess is he caught a taste for a quick buck selling steamtray food those first couple of months at Pancho's, and thought this would be a good (and needed) idea.

I waited 30 minutes for my order, because they took phone-in orders before they cooked mine. Okay, they'll learn. The manager even said they need a third fryer to keep up. I had no complaints at the time about that. Here's what I didn't like: the worst fried chicken I may have ever had. Overcooked by many minutes, practically black. When chicken skin gets that overdone, it becomes a crusty displeasure. And greasy... way too greasy. A companion said there was no flavour in the chicken, either. Then I found out on my way home with my takeout order that they gave me two thighs and two wings instead of thighs and legs. $119p for four pieces, whatever they are, is twice what Soriana and Walmart charge. Why compare to those stores? Because they use pressure fryers, on timers, which means they cook properly internally without burning on the outside.

But it's more than that. I was perfectly happy to pay the price when I thought it might be good. After all, I went there and ordered, knowing the cost. No, it was the smell of overripe chicken that finally did me in. You know that smell that chicken gets when it's been thawed for too long? Considering the rather large orders and long wait times, I would assume that they were using fresher and fresher birds... but maybe not. And when you over-use deep-fryer oil, it gets burned itself, and takes on the flavour of whatever is in it. So that smell, just a whiff of it, was probably a mix of both overexposed skin and flavoured grease.

On the plus side, a couple of nice small warm buns (oh, burnt on one side from being on the flatop), some delicious "country gravy" as one of the sauce selections (delicious for me means overly salted for many others), and cheery service. I could not finish the chicken, and I love fried chicken. My stomach is still reeling; not from bad chicken, but too much grease and cooking.

(NOTE: I didn't compare it to Tony's fried chicken, which is also costly these days, because that's not southern fried chicken. That is some kind of battered chicken I've never seen anywhere else.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I got 3 chicken tenders, mac n' cheese and a side of gravy to go. $148p. There is a bit of spice in the breading but very good on balance. Mac n' cheese was the real deal. People can nit pic but Walmart and Soriana's chicken sits there until  sold and way too much breading. Ismat's chicken is cooked to order. Big diff.

"Cooked to order" makes no difference if it comes out like burnt toast, Tom. And Soriana's chicken goes fast.

And to me there is a huge difference between "nit-picking" and "disgust". And Tom: what about the smell I mentioned?

chicken2.jpg

I should add, it wasn't just mine... everyone's plate looked the same. I didn't see the takeout stuff, of course.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

"Cooked to order" makes no difference if it comes out like burnt toast, Tom. And Soriana's chicken goes fast.

And to me there is a huge difference between "nit-picking" and "disgust". And Tom: what about the smell I mentioned?

chicken2.jpg

I should add, it wasn't just mine... everyone's plate looked the same. I didn't see the takeout stuff, of course.

Already had my doubts after the doggie posting but this has made up my mind.  I won't be going.  If you don't change your oil timely everything it cooks will be tainted.  Oil must be changed when it becomes burnt or tainted by the things cooked in it.  Some people simply change every week or so and this is wrong.  If the chicken smells it can make you sick so another serious concern.  Thanks CG  

Sounds like he must have decided to save money on oil and bought some from the guy who goes around collecting the old oil from restaurants. If he just opened, how could the oil already be that bad?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, tomgates said:

I got 3 chicken tenders, mac n' cheese and a side of gravy to go. $148p. There is a bit of spice in the breading but very good on balance. Mac n' cheese was the real deal. People can nit pic but Walmart and Soriana's chicken sits there until  sold and way too much breading. Ismat's chicken is cooked to order. Big diff.

Seems to me that the excellent Soriana fried chicken parts are battered not breaded. We enjoy getting it from time to time when too lazy to cook ourselves or a change of pace from our own BBQ'd chicken or my wife's excellent Teriyaki wings.