Chapala.com Webboard

Accident at Pancho’s Deli

7 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Her brakes repeatedly failed?  Looks more like she repeatedly failed to apply the brakes properly until the last moment before the fruit stand.  In any event, it sure does indicate some very slow reflexes to a problem that she could have reacted to a whole lot quicker.  Coming from a dead stop parked to where it wound up through the glass would be understandable if she was moving down the Carretera and lost control and wound up where she did.

And who would have "planted" skid marks later?.....Pancho?.....Bomberos?.....the lady herself?   Talk about conspiracy theories.

Goes to her state of mind immediately following the accident. I'm not here to judge her. I imagine it will all come out. But this Board, well-known for plying bullshit as a trade for some people, has a policy against rumour and personal attacks. I knew if I wrote anything I would be taken to task by at least a couple of morons, and I'm okay with it, because truly they meaning nothing to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

Sometimes, such strange things happen because of a very bad habit,  You may have seen evidence of it when following a car with occasional brake lights but no slowing or stopping. It happens when the left foot is used for the brake pedal, and the right foot for the accelerator; a very improper and dangerous habit.  In a panic, confusion results and both feet may be pressed at the same time. Brake failure, or full throttle?

Drive with your right foot only, unless you have manual transmission and a clutch.

• Like 8

It is amazing to me that so many "holier than thou" people are on this board. So many perfect people who never, ever have made a mistake. It is called an "accident" for a reason.

ac·ci·dent

noun
  1. an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.
    "he had an accident at the factory"
    synonyms: mishap, misfortune, misadventure, mischance, unfortunate incident, injury, disaster, tragedy, catastrophe, contretemps, calamity, blow, trouble, problem, difficulty;
    technicalcasualty
    "he was involved in an accident at work"
  2. an event that happens by chance or that is without apparent or deliberate cause.
    "the pregnancy was an accident"
    synonyms: chance, mere chance, coincidence, twist of fate, freak, hazard;

, I doubt she did it on purpose.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, luvsdawgs said:

It is amazing to me that so many "holier than thou" people are on this board. So many perfect people who never, ever have made a mistake. It is called an "accident" for a reason.

ac·ci·dent

noun
  1. an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.
    "he had an accident at the factory"
    synonyms: mishap, misfortune, misadventure, mischance, unfortunate incident, injury, disaster, tragedy, catastrophe, contretemps, calamity, blow, trouble, problem, difficulty;
    technicalcasualty
    "he was involved in an accident at work"
  2. an event that happens by chance or that is without apparent or deliberate cause.
    "the pregnancy was an accident"
    synonyms: chance, mere chance, coincidence, twist of fate, freak, hazard;

, I doubt she did it on purpose.

No one is saying she did it on purpose.  She admitted that she was confused.  As we get older, our reflexes usually slow down.  Her reaction time could also be impaired due to medications she may be taking. The driver should have to take a complete driving test just to make sure that she is capable, so that she doesn't hurt herself or others.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Sometimes, such strange things happen because of a very bad habit,  You may have seen evidence of it when following a car with occasional brake lights but no slowing or stopping. It happens when the left foot is used for the brake pedal, and the right foot for the accelerator; a very improper and dangerous habit.  In a panic, confusion results and both feet may be pressed at the same time. Brake failure, or full throttle?

Drive with your right foot only, unless you have manual transmission and a clutch.

My father had this problem and after 2 accidents we had to stop him from driving.  When you get older you can get confused easily.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ferret said:

Certainly everyone has jumped on the driver with speculation and innuendo. I hope the true facts will come out in the future.

In the meantime, THIS is also within the realm of possibility...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudden_unintended_acceleration

Actually, that exact thing happened to me years ago, Ferret. I was backing up in an alley behind my friend's house, and suddenly I hit a post, which was in a blind spot. Didn't hit it hard, cause I was barely moving, so I put it into drive (was an automatic) and without even stepping on the gas, the car shot forward and plowed right through a chainlink fence. The brakes weren't working either. It was so freaky and scary.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, suegarn said:

No one is saying she did it on purpose.  She admitted that she was confused.  As we get older, our reflexes usually slow down.  Her reaction time could also be impaired due to medications she may be taking. The driver should have to take a complete driving test just to make sure that she is capable, so that she doesn't hurt herself or others.  

Exactly, saying she had an "accident" and not be held accountable or that´s somehow acceptable doesn´t cut it with me.  Aging should not be an excuse for poor driving ability for senior or any other citizens.  Most of these driving through store fronts in this area over the last few years has been older drivers who should not be driving. It´s like. "Oh I only drove through one or two and it was an "accident".

Give me a break......there comes a time when people just don´t have the physical reflexes or become mentally "confused", AND SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

SHE did not say she was confused. YOU all said she was confused. You are putting words in this woman's mouth, and presuming absolute horseshit about her. Leave the damn woman alone. Or I'll be there to snark and chortle the next time you have an accident.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Ferret said:

Certainly everyone has jumped on the driver with speculation and innuendo. I hope the true facts will come out in the future.

In the meantime, THIS is also within the realm of possibility...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudden_unintended_acceleration

What more facts?  you have seen the photos of where the vehicle wound up, the knocked down steel pipe in concrete, the shattered to a million pieces plate glass store front. 

I suppose we will get a confession from the Caterpillar operator who shoved her through the obstacles.:(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, bmh said:

No one was hurt and anyone can get confused, that is part of human nature when we age, so give the person a break and put cement barrieres in front of vulnerable spots.. Jail is of no use in those cases.

Is this the only time the word "confused" is used in this thread? 

I don´t know if she was confused or not, but I do know there is a difference on gear identification between R and D, and not being able to handle that minor aspect of driving would have to be poor eyesight, confusion, or possibly a medical condition, all or any of which, should preclude one from driving.

• Thanks 2

It's a hard thing to face, but many of us realize it: there comes a time in old age that some of us are no longer good drivers, we're a danger to ourselves and others. Some very responsible people give up driving cars. Others, even after being the cause of bad accidents because of their age-related loss of skills, keep right on driving.

We don't know what caused this woman to have this accident. I wish we  would stop speculating about her. But whatever happened that made this driver lose control could happen again to some other driver in our community. Actually something like it is bound to happen again. Has happened, will happen again.

I think about the local businesses that create parking directly in front of their stores or restaurants, where passing customers are potentially at risk from an accident like the one we're talking about. Worse yet, I never pull in to park in front of Super Lake without being distressed to see the Mexican women sitting on the steps with their small children on their laps or letting them run around near the cars coming or leaving every day. To me, there's a horrible accident waiting to happen. Some people have brought it up to management at Super Lake, I've heard. But nothing changes. At the very least, as Slainte39 mentioned, barriers are needed.

Lexy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Speculation and innuendo about her age and condition will only stop on an individual by individual decision and not something mandated as a group order by another member.  It has always been that way on these forums.

That aside, the facts we do know are indisputable, such as where the vehicle started and where it ended up.  We also know that this is entirely outside the norm for how one should leave a parking area in front of Pancho´s Deli.  We know that there can´t be hardly any good or legitimate reasons for doing same. Most people have given the benefit of the doubt and said it was not deliberate but unintended, which is the softer approach.  Even if you take the softest, kindest, gentler approach, you still have to question the driver´s ability, to be driving. Of the millions of drivers in Jalisco, Mexican and foreigners, how many drive through store fronts for any reason, or no reason?...….not many.

To treat it as a non-event and just another "all in a normal day" of traffic mishaps, and feel sorry for the poor lady, is really putting your head in the sand.  The punishment shouldn´t be greater than the crime but ignoring it or playing it down because I´ll get you when you have accident, escapes my reasoning.

• Thanks 5
  • Sad 1