Chapala.com Webboard

Experiences with buying used cars in Mexico

GringoTJ

I found a car i wanted in Mexico City, i live several thousand miles away so i plan to hire a local mechanic in the area to check the vehicle out for me and verify that it hasnt been in an accident, i would also ensure that the title is legal and not fake or forged

The car is at a Nissan dealer but its not a Nissan, its a 2018 with around 30,000 km

I am used to pay for everything with a credit card for consumer protection as well as all the points i would get from a $20k purchase but mainly its for the protection

The dealer said they will only accept a bank transfer and nothing else, my thoughts are:
I have the vehicle checked out and the mechanic says its in great condition with no issues, but people make mistakes and the car could arrive in working order, but after driving it for a wk i notice a major issue or a hidden accident damage, with a bank transfer the car would pretty much be as is with no protections

How have others experiences gone with buying used cars?

• Sad 3

"I am used to pay for everything with a credit card for consumer protection as well as all the points i would get from a $20k purchase but mainly its for the protection."

You won't be doing that here in Mexico, along with many other things you are accustomed to. Now is a good time to decide if you're ready to leave a lot of old baggage behind, because if you're tied to these ideas of doing things you'll not be happy here IMO. 

There are a couple of honest dealers here who can get you whatever you want, new or used, and they check that everything is in order. They accept cash or bank transfer only. You will find that consumer protections here are limited, so if this is an issue make certain the dealership you buy from is 1) close by and 2) has a warranty in writing (how's your Spanish?).   

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, chapalence said:

There are a couple of honest dealers here who can get you whatever you want, new or used, and they check that everything is in order. They accept cash or bank transfer only. You will find that consumer protections here are limited, so if this is an issue make certain the dealership you buy from is 1) close by and 2) has a warranty in writing (how's your Spanish?).   

Bought a new car via S&S using a US credit card.  Spencer was able to negotiate a 2% fee.  My cc gave us a great exchange rate and has no international fees.  Racked up a lot of airline miles, too.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GringoTJ said:

found a car i wanted in Mexico City, i live several thousand miles away

What is your plan to actually get the car?    If you're going there anyway....as opposed to having it delivered.....why not just give a deposit and then go and check it out personally and drive it for a day or two?

Be aware of the hassle of getting it registered in Jalisco.  It is not easy, as in the USA, and will cost time and money.  Buying a car in Jalisco, with Jalisco plates, would be easier, for sure.  We bought from Guadalajara Nissan & Mercedes dealerships, and it was smooth as silk, both times, including free delivery, registered in our name.

17 hours ago, GringoTJ said:

The dealer said they will only accept a bank transfer and nothing else, my thoughts are:
I have the vehicle checked out and the mechanic says its in great condition with no issues, but people make mistakes and the car could arrive in working order, but after driving it for a wk i notice a major issue or a hidden accident damage, with a bank transfer the car would pretty much be as is with no protections

Exactly, they give you no protection. You get what it is and they really don't care if you buy it or not. It is just up to you.

4 hours ago, Go Solar said:

What is your plan to actually get the car?    If you're going there anyway....as opposed to having it delivered.....why not just give a deposit and then go and check it out personally and drive it for a day or two?

I would arrange an auto transport company to deliver it to me in Tijuana, driving long distances isnt a great option for me, if i do check it out personally i wouldnt really know which things to look for, so a private mechanic would be best

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, PJPJ said:

Seems a little strange to me... buying a car sight unseen and so far away... It must be one hell of a deal to make it worthwhile.. 

Yes, on the surface it would seem to be a recipe for trouble. BUT, if one knows what they are doing it can be OK.  I've done maybe 15 sight unseen over the last 5-10 years, including one 2 weeks ago, and haven't yet been sorry. Just gotta do your homework. 

• Thanks 1

You may want to read about buying a car in Mexico here: http://www.soniadiaz.mx/vehicles.html