Chapala.com Webboard

Rolly Brook

RIP Rolly. He would have been 89 next Tuesday.  He selflessly helped countless people with his informative blog on all things Mexican. Who among you who wax poetic about this wonderful guy actually repaid him in a small way by spending some time visiting with him? He told me that hardly anyone did.He welcomed being able to converse with a visitor even though it was an effort to speak with the hole in his throat.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, happyjillin said:

RIP Rolly. He would have been 89 next Tuesday.  He selflessly helped countless people with his informative blog on all things Mexican. Who among you who wax poetic about this wonderful guy actually repaid him in a small way by spending some time visiting with him? He told me that hardly anyone did.He welcomed being able to converse with a visitor even though it was an effort to speak with the hole in his throat.

really, ????  Rolly  passed away in 2015. He was the founder of Mexico Connect forum... So what is your post about?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Islander said:

really, ????  Rolly  passed away in 2015. He was the founder of Mexico Connect forum... So what is your post about?

In respect for him even though he's gone. Are you suggesting that his memory doesn't deserve that? And he did not found  Mexconect, he was a mod and prolific contributor there

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

Do you even know where Rolly lived in Mexico jillin'?

We spent 2 days with him in Lerdo  and he gave us a tour of the area and the other cities as well as lunch at dona's whose family complex he helped build and who was his cooking guru on his blog. Besides more guests he also wanted people to bring him teeshirts from NOB because he couldn't get them in his huge size there. Did you visit him?

Rolly Brook was a kind and generous person who, over the internet, helped a lot of us figure out how to move to Mexico, and he did it with extraordinary grace. When he moved his life here, México gave him a giant, welcoming hug. And he hugged México back. Thank you for all those lessons Rolly and RIP.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

We spent 2 days with him in Lerdo  and he gave us a tour of the area and the other cities as well as lunch at dona's whose family complex he helped build and who was his cooking guru on his blog. Besides more guests he also wanted people to bring him teeshirts from NOB because he couldn't get them in his huge size there. Did you visit him?

No, I didn't visit him. I was already living in Mexico for four years before he moved to Mexico. I was here before any internet forums or blogs as well. I have already posted on TOB my impressions of his passing.

Why, has this even been brought up on either board at this time though. That's what has me curious.

• Like 2

I had forgotten all about this wonderful person. I am glad that he is again a topic of discussion. I wish I had something interesting to offer about Rolly.  All I can say is "Thank you Rolly for all of the great things you did for others.

I greatly enjoyed seeing his website again and all the great pictures. Thank you all for those great posts.

• Like 2

Agree; a lot of folks were just barely "getting online" for the first time, to learn about MX, and there was Rolly's amazing treasure trove of existing and continuing info and experiences.

RIP Rolly, y muchismo gracias.

• Like 1

Back in 2003 and early in 2004 when emigrating to Mexico was a possible option for us, Mexconnect was the prominent forum for information.  We quickly learned that Rolly Brook was a generous and reliable source of information and he "held our hands" on many small but important things new immigrants needed to know.  He was a true gentleman of the highest order: never petty or "smartassed", no matter how ignorant one's question was.  He is missed for very good reasons. 

We need more "Rolly's" on here, IMHO.🖖

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Islander said:

Rolly was a tremendous contributor to Mexconnect, with a vast amount of knowledge and a profound willingness to share it with everyone.   However, Canadian David McLaughlin founded Mexconnect when he and his wife lived in Ajijic, and David is still that website's owner. 

Rolly was a champ.  I was proud to call him my friend.  

• Like 2

Yes it was David McLaughlin who started Mexconnect, which is still up and running. I'm moderator of the Technical Mexico Forum and I still get a little activity, about one post every month or six. I guess what I am saying, go take a look at the forum if you want, but there is basically no activity anymore.

Most any time I see a post there in any topic, I try to answer it, but as I said above, there is basically no activity there, these days, which is sad.

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 8:58 PM, Ferret said:

Snip

Why, has this even been brought up on either board at this time though. That's what has me curious.

There is a tribute to him in Mexico News Daily. Its there for couple of days now.That probably prompted this post. I am also curious why now.... this year and not last or the one before.

Rolly Brook was a real treasure to all ex-pats (and wanna be ex-pats) in Mexico. He died in February on my (important) birthday). I still remember that day.

He deserves to be remembered Happyjilling,  Anytime.

JFYI:  He would have been  89 next year. Not next Tuesday. Born in 1931 according to Mexico Connect.

https://www.mexconnect.com/articles/4226-rolly-brook-1931-2015

Rest in Peace Rolly.

19 hours ago, johanson said:

Yes it was David McLaughlin who started Mexconnect, which is still up and running. I'm moderator of the Technical Mexico Forum and I still get a little activity, about one post every month or six. I guess what I am saying, go take a look at the forum if you want, but there is basically no activity anymore.

Most any time I see a post there in any topic, I try to answer it, but as I said above, there is basically no activity there, these days, which is sad.

I was a moderator on several of Mexconnect's forums for 11 years, and continue to be the moderator on the Cooking forum--right now, a moderator with nothing to moderate.  It is sad--a website that was once pretty much the only source of solid Mexico "So you want to retire to Mexico"  information has come to be very little used.  

Just as you said, Pete, there is little to no activity on any of the forums.  I think we can lay that at the feet of the tremendous amount of information about Mexico, retirement here, and all that is currently available on the Internet, information that was all but impossible to find when some of us were investigating a move to the Chapala vicinity.  Facebook itself has changed our world; there are Chapala-oriented FB groups dedicated to everything from Lakeside activities to Lakeside government.  Other internet sites are burgeoning as well.  

Mexconnect included a very vigorous forum, heavily moderated for a few years. The owner switched the website to paid membership, with all the best intentions, he wanted to be able to contribute at least a token amount to the many excellent article contributors. Well, that didn't go over too well, and by time it switched back to free, many people had left to find other forms of social media.

Well, that's not quite how it happened, but....

Mexconnect was in fact the go-to website before any of the others had anything/much going. BUT, the Forum was just a small part of the offerings on Mexconnect as they, over the years, have had some fabulous writers.   IMO, the main reason the Forum is seeing less traffic these days is the advent of other Forums like this one and Bob's as well as Facebook. Back in the old days San Miguel, with it's Expat population, also did not have a forum but does now. Times change. 

Moderator, Mexconnect