Chapala.com Webboard

Missing part of INM form

cedros

I don't fly north very often so I am wondering about the following. When you go to the Guadalajara airport you get a 2 part INM form which you fill out at their office there and get it stamped. Then when you fly into Mexico City I assume you check into immigration there. Do they take the smaller part of the INM form in MC or is it held at Guadalajara? I can't find the larger part of that INM form that you need when you fly back from the North or else you could have problems with your Residente Permanente visa. I am just trying to figure out where the larger part of my INM form went. What would happen if I can't come up with the larger part of that INM form when I fly into Mexico City?

2 hours ago, cedros said:

I don't fly north very often so I am wondering about the following. When you go to the Guadalajara airport you get a 2 part INM form which you fill out at their office there and get it stamped. Then when you fly into Mexico City I assume you check into immigration there. Do they take the smaller part of the INM form in MC or is it held at Guadalajara? I can't find the larger part of that INM form that you need when you fly back from the North or else you could have problems with your Residente Permanente visa. I am just trying to figure out where the larger part of my INM form went. What would happen if I can't come up with the larger part of that INM form when I fly into Mexico City?

I don't think it matters if you take a new FMM form from the airline attendant on the plane and fill out the larger upper half and hand that in at Mexican Immigration when you land in Mexico. They scan your RP card and take the FMM and take your photo and scan your passport so know who you are and when you returned to Mexico in their data system. The smaller lower half you left with the airlines at the boarding gate and when you got it stamped by INM at the airport is entered into their data system. If they stamped your passport out then in that also indinates when you left and when you returned

Thanks Alan. It was such a confusing time for me. I was sick. Me in a wheelchair with my little dog on a leash. I think the wheelchair pusher maybe took me directly to my boarding gate rather than to immigration first. 

My travel agents husband was helping me at the Guadalajara airport and he got an extra INM form for me. I could use that one rather than one they give me on the plane as the number on that form will be in the right series? I hate the thought of them turning me back at the MC airport. Where would I go with my little dog? Eneter as a tourist-then I might lose my Residente Permanente. I would hate to lose my RP as I have a Mexican plated vehicle and other thing sin Mexico.

They did stamp my passport when I was in MC heading north and I have the luggage collection slips showing I traveled from Guadalajara to Vancouver. 

I don't think it matters if the FMM form is in the same series. Them entering all the above data I mentioned into the INM data system is what matters, I suspect. Having the same FMM form number on that form' s barcode when exiting and entering Mexico probably is not important. I wouldn't give it a second thought. Just fill out the new form correctly for being a Residente Permanente. Alan

There's no way an airline allowed you on a plane heading outside of Mexico without your having an INM document to turn into them.  The form would have been collected when you left MC and headed north as I think you are saying you flew from GDL to MC, then to Canada.  It's possible GDL INM could have issued your FMM but even so, it would not have been collected by the airline until you boarded a flight headed for outside of Mexico.  

When you return, after you greet the INM agent, tell him or her, "Soy Residente Permanente" and hand them your RP card FIRST.  Then hand them your passport and your INM form. Write the words, Residente Permanente, on the form you use and answer the questions on the form as follows: 

Box 7, enter Mexico

Box 8, enter RP number (from the back of your RP card)

Box 9, enter OTRO for purpose of trip

It makes sense that INM would take me in but.... If they didn't what would they do send me back to Canada, fine me or force me to enter as a tourist and seize my Residente Permanete card? It would not be good to be stranded in Mexico City with my little dog. I still have a Mexican plated car & stuff in Mexico and a bank account. 

Gumint=government. That had me scratching my head. Yes the possibilities are endless. This must happen to other people so I am curious what happened to them.

It is not as if I was a criminal-just negligent. It would be nice to know in advance what would happen. Have a lawyer with me?

Fill out the one you have. Rip off the lower smaller half. If you want when you pass through Immigration at the airport you could mention you lost the other FMM half and this is another FMM form. If not I feel it won't matter one way or the other. They have all your data they need. Don't worry it is common.

• Like 1

I actually liked the old FM3 and FM2 books that INM had for immigration. THEY got stamped in and out so it was easy to see when you left and obvious that you had returned since you were standing right in front of them. All this new fangled electronic only stuff is going to be a problem one day. I love electronics but I'm also a realist.

2 hours ago, Ferret said:

I told them the truth. " I lost it. Sorry but here's my boarding pass to show when I left Mexico and here I am back again. Can you fix my problem". They scowled a bit but let me back in.

Interesting. I could handle scowling.

56 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

Fill out the one you have. Rip off the lower smaller half. If you want when you pass through Immigration at the airport you could mention you lost the other FMM half and this is another FMM form. If not I feel it won't matter one way or the other. They have all your data they need. Don't worry it is common.

That is a possibility but I would prefer to say I lost it. I think you are right -they have all the data they need but...

Cedros- don't waste another minute stressing over this. You don't have to even mention that you lost the other half of the one you left with. While in theory, one would think the top and bottom half bar codes should match, INM doesn't care about this at all. Not one bit. I have had this confirmed to me by INM agents, as I travelled from Mexico to Canada with my granddaughter, but then she returned from Canada to Mexico with her mom. I had no idea which of the return forms was hers and which was mine. When I flew back to Mexico I explained this to the INM agent and he said it doesn't matter at all, they don't care. You won't jeopardize your residency. The important thing is just to make sure you hand them your permanente card with the form when you re-enter Mexico and make sure you write RP at the top and check the correct box for that on the form. 

I've flown back and forth many times as RP and probably half those times the form I turned in on return wasn't the top half of the one I left on. It's a non-issue.

• Like 1