Chapala.com Webboard

Ilox Cost

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2019 at 9:58 AM, ComputerGuy said:

Hey CG.... you might be able to make sense of this link but I sure can't!  What I want to know from actual users in San Antonio is

(1) if we got their wifi service (therefore internet) can we keep our Telmex land line phone?

(2) how satisfied are you with them now that they've been here a while?

Really only want to improve download speed so we can get proper reception to our android box for TV. Telmex modem on our block is anywhere from 17.9 down to 1.3.........

• Like 1

Telmex worse than useless in the afternoon and evening. Sat. La floresta and parts of ajijic.affected.

Lucky to get 2mbps.

They are over extended giving us 10 to 20 to keep out ilox, peak time cant cope so they are throttling. They are failing miserably, our coto looking at the other options, we have all been told different bs stories.

5 hours ago, Natasha said:

Hey CG.... you might be able to make sense of this link but I sure can't!  What I want to know from actual users in San Antonio is(1) if we got their wifi service (therefore internet) can we keep our Telmex land line phone?(2) how satisfied are you with them now that they've been here a while?Really only want to improve download speed so we can get proper reception to our android box for TV. Telmex modem on our block is anywhere from 17.9 down to 1.3.........

Pretty much what everyone wants, plus those others who do business on the Web.

So far the main complaint from every owner I've met is that the WiFi sucks, and the speed fluctuates. Many people seem to get about 28, a far cry from the promise. However, let me say in defense of that, that I have NO idea what resources they have tried to change that.

Edit: Yes, you can keep your TelMex phone. You might want to, in fact, because the phone provided by iLox is VOIP... which means if the Internet goes off, so does your phone. And as of now, not very many people in San Antonio actually have iLox. In fact, I haven't met anyone who does there.

57 minutes ago, barcelonaman said:

Telmex worse than useless in the afternoon and evening. Sat. La floresta and parts of ajijic.affected. Lucky to get 2mbps.They are over extended giving us 10 to 20 to keep out ilox, peak time cant cope so they are throttling. They are failing miserably, our coto looking at the other options, we have all been told different bs stories.

They don't throttle. They have never throttled. And be thankful for that: once they figure out how much extra they can charge for having stepped rates and speeds, we are all in trouble.

And the "over-extended" excuse is now 15 years old. The vast majority of the problems are caused by poor infrastructure. Otherwise, how do I continue to get 40 day and night, all the time?

And I get 20 day and night and all the time. I'm about three blocks from CG. MY original problem was NOT solved by Telmex. I had somebody climb the pole to access the junction box closest to my house. Corroded wiring was the problem. The guy stripped both ends of the connecting wires and reconnected them. BINGO! No more problems until the modem died, and I solved that by buying a new one on Mercado Libre.

Do not expect Telmex to help... those guys wouldn't climb a pole if their life depended on it. Just way too much trouble but I highly suspect that corroded connections are a problem for many people. As CG said "poor infrastructure".

And, no, the guy who helped me is not doing that any more.

• Like 1

I live in upper Ajijic and pay for Hasta 20 Mega bits/sec down but depending upon the time of day might get as high as14 but more often closer to 4 to 7 Mbps.

Here in Seattle where I get closer to 70 Mbps down by 60 up which is faster than I need, the building is upgrading to 1,000 Mbps (1 Gbps) up and down which is, in my humble opinion, massive overkill.  They are wiring the condo now. I'm afraid to find out the cost of a router is that can handle that kind of speed.

I know neither my laptop nor I can handle that kind of speed :)