Chapala.com Webboard

How can we get some Books and a Telescope to Chapala from the US??

My husband and I are moving to Chapala this October. (We are excited, and beyond nervous, but that's not the question to the kind folks here)

• We have some books, that we would very much like to have in Chapala. This is a small set after sorting through a lifetime collection. 
  • My husband has a smallish telescope, that he'd very much like to bring along. This is after sorting through nearly half a dozen.
  • (I want to impress upon folks we have been doing downsizing like world champion style... not really just us wanting to hold on to material things... )

We will be flying in. The luggage fees are already horrendous, without the above. 

What might you advise us?

Any smart ways to get these books and telescope to Chapala, with reasonable cost? Any past experience of yours? 

Thank you all very much!

- Eve C (aka, Miles's Mom)

An extra piece of luggage might still be the cheapest method.

Our experience was that there was nothing about our move that came at a "reasonable cost". It's been an expensive move from day one. Of course, reasonable is relative and we're at the low end of the income spectrum, so take that into consideration.

• Like 2

Agree, either pay for an extra suitcase or give them away. Unless you know someone driving in that will take them, doubt you will find anything cheaper. Moving means choices...

I agree with Chapalance and Pappy. Either bite the economic bullet or give up the books and telescope. There is no cheaper way I know of than paying for extra baggage. If you have a friend or relative with storage space you may leave stuff with them and figure out something later.  Some of us end up regretting things we left behind. Others regret money spent on bringing down things that ended up not being important in their new lives. We make our best guess with what we know at the time. Best of luck.

• Like 2

This  is an option you might explore...

There is a gentleman who lives locally, his name is  Alex Peterson who brings packages sent to him at a Laredo address and brings them to lakeside about once a month.

I have found his fees very reasonable.  this is his e- mail address: rapidpackman  at  gmail.com   .. substitute the 'at'  with a @ ..

That would be the second  leg of getting your books and  telescope  here. .

Check out sending it from your location to Alex at his Laredo, Texas  address  via   GreyHound  bus  - they do ship packages in the US .  They have a very good on-line system to figure out the cost of sending the package(s)  .. you would would need to have a guess for the dimensions of the package... and they will insure each  package ,up to $1,000  USD.. I do not believe  they are 'cheap' , maybe easonable compared to airline luggae - I don't know ..   but it might be an option for you ..

This  way you can figure out if you want to use this method,  air lines luggage   costs , or ?? 

PS .. if you can not get your small telescope sent down, contact me.. I have a small Tasco 20X-60X50mm  zoom telescope that  you can have, that belonged to my husband.

• Like 3

I brought expensive cameras in with a laptop and had no problem on a plane from San Antonio to Guadalajara. You are able to bring two suitcases or boxes of certain dimensions and 50lbs or less on a  bus.  Six months later I brought a desktop computer and two screens and immigration charged me 1500 pesos. So you could bring the books and telescope in by bus and I would not think they would charge for the books but the telescope is iffy.

On 8/15/2019 at 11:55 AM, Miles's Mom said:

The luggage fees are already horrendous, without the above. 

All a matter of perspective.....and what the other options are.     Someone told me they flew down with 20 extra suitcases full of "stuff" years ago.     At $50 each, $1000 US.

No way they could have done that for that price, that securely and that timely, any other way.     And because it was all personal possessions of used things, no duty worries or hassles and was on the same plane as they were.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Go Solar said:

All a matter of perspective.....and what the other options are.     Someone told me they flew down with 20 extra suitcases full of "stuff" years ago.     At $50 each, $1000 US.

No way they could have done that for that price, that securely and that timely, any other way.     And because it was all personal possessions of used things, no duty worries or hassles and was on the same plane as they were.

Try that now...I doubt if most airlines will let you check more than a total of 4 bags and it'll be more than $50 for the 3rd and 4th. The small planes that come into GDL from many US cities have minimal luggage cargo space and we used to routinely be missing a bag or 2 and were told it was held for the next available flight and it would be brought out to us. It always was but you never knew for sure until it showed up.

Edit:  I just for fun checked on United from IAH-GDL. 3rd and additional bags cost $180 and some time periods have "extra baggage embargoes" which means you can't check more than 2 for any price. The good old days are disappearing into the rear view mirror.

1 hour ago, Go Solar said:

We get 3 free bags each (up to 70 lbs.) thanks to airline mileage status .  We have had excellent luck (no lost bags or items missing).  For fragile items, we use large wheeled ice chests with lots of bubble wrap/packing material.     You can use pretty much any sort of container as long as it is under 62 linear inches.  We have also used large lidded heavy duty plastic storage boxes.  Doesn't have to be suitcases per se.  

• Like 2

Someone will probably create an app to help people in the "sharing online economy" max their luggage allowances most cost effectively - what a way to meet new friends and beat the system....!    😉

No fan of the airlines and their niggling practices....but....even at $3 / pound, still the cheapest way to securely ship same day.....

Southwest...First 2 bags fly free. Now you just have to get them flying into GDL. When we returned last year we flew with them from PVR. Each of us had 2 checked suitcases and a carry-on. Talk about starting over...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All - Thank you all very much for your thoughtful comments and suggestions. Yes we are going through the final stages of radical downsizing, from 1000+ books and 6+ Scopes and many other material things to now 90 lbs of books, no scopes, and hope to get to 3 suitcases each... we are trying the best to shed material things, really, not just trying to hang on to things. You all have been through and done that so my admiration to you all. I am contacting Alex Peterson and another, will be comparing airline shipping vis land shipping, and will for sure check out the FB site mentioned as well. Rebirthing is hard, but will be worth it. Thank you all again. Would love to hang out with some of you when we get through to your side.

- Eva

Bringing items WITH you always is easier, faster, less complicated, and, I daresay, cheaper. I moved here from Asia 2x. First time, I had my employer pay the majority of our household shipping costs. Second time, I had 11 suitcases. Yup. 11. Each was numbered, with a corresponding list of the contents. I had more than I expected because while I was in Asia, the luggage rules changed for Economy. At a maximum of 50 lbs, I had more suitcases than I would have at the previous 70lbs.

The Customs fellow at GDL looked at me with huge eyes, checked my inventory, checked my residency card (which had expired while I was away so I came in on a Tourist Visa) and said to me, "I hope you get a green light!!" Nope ! Red !! So, off I went with all my luggage. They pulled 2 at random, saw that the contents matched my list, had a dog sniff everything  and off I went. Easy as pie. Had they wanted to search each suitcase, they would have found the contents matched as did all the others. 

No waiting for my shipment, no shipping to pay, no wondering if Aduana will levy extra fees, and it all arrived home at the same time as I did.

43 minutes ago, Lily H said:

That's better to check specific airline's website. Each has spelled out rules.

I was seeking the weight and dimensions of his telescope and the books. Also, he stated it was too expensive to use a suitcase. I was asking how much he was quoted.

The telescope we had wanted to bring was a StarBlast it's smallish scope wise but still too big and too fragile for the trip. We have since decided to let go of it also. Will try to buy later.

The books have come down to just 4 medium post office boxes about 40 lbs each. We have contacted Alex Peterson, he is the most realistic route. Delta is our flight carrier, our check-ins will be close to 70lbs each, $130 for first check-in, $155 second, ~$200 third, dare not go for the fourth. Wish I had elite status but thats just day dreaming. 

Thanks all for all your help!!  See you soon on the sunny side.

Where are you getting your numbers??  Maybe they are out of date, but Delta baggage rules for US/CAN to MEX are here: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/before-your-trip/checked.html   

Site says US/CAN to MEX with Economy ticket:

$30 USD first bag up to 50lb; $55 second bag up to 50 lb; bag; $150 third bag; $200 bags 4 and up to 10

For first class/business, US/CAN to MEX

2 bags up to 70 lb, free; $150 third bag; $200 bags 4 and up to 10