Chapala.com Webboard

Document needed to bring dog into Mexico at airport?

Can anyone share a picture of documentation they used to uneventfully bring their dog from the US  into Mexico in Guadalajara?  My vet here in the States , though he has  the special certification required here to certify a dog to travel out of the country  , has no idea —- other than the USDA form he gave me last year which was refused as invalid because it had a section that required notarization by USDA .(cost of visit US $160 !)  I had to call in a vet from Guad to do a health check and certification  

(which was fairly painless but meant about 1.5 hrs. longer in his crate after an already long long trip )

I’d flown into Guad with this dog 4 times previously with absolutely no problem. Unfortunately I don’t recall what kind of documentation the US vet provided those times. 

The form the Guad airport is most familiar with is the APHIS-7001 and must be completed by an accredited vet. (Not all are accredited either by APHIS or USDA.) The form comes with detailed instructions on how to complete it (all electronic, except stamp, seal and signature), not to use any abbreviations of any kind (including state or month.) Your vet must certify the pet as well to travel, provide original printout of valid rabies certificate, internal and external parasites/deworming good for six months. The date of the letter may differ from the date required by your airline, so check both and schedule your appointment to cover both.   

The SAGARPA agent will print out and give you an OISA Certificado de Importación for your records. You will also need to get a return health screening document from a Mexican vet for your return, with essentially the same info but with updated details, if your anti-parasitics expire during your stay.

The process is not hard, it's just very specific (and not cheap) and requires precision each and every time. Following are the link to the APHIS site that clearly documents what needs to be done as well as a detailed, but well-explained, post from another website on what, when, and how to comply.

Bringing Your Dogs and Cats to Mexico October 17, 2017

Since this question comes up on this Facebook page approximately every 2 weeks I thought I would put together some guidance for bringing your dog or cat to Mexico. Just briefly about me I am an accredited veterinarian in the State of Texas, but I hope to retire to Mexico in the not so distant future so this topic is “near and dear to my heart” since I plan to bring my two cats with me.

First, most of this information can be found at the following USDA website:

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/by-country/pettravel-mexico

For those that are not aware The US and Mexico have agreements on the movement of many things across the border including pets. I theory these requirements should be honored by Mexico when you arrive with your beloved critters.

Q: What is an Accredited Veterinarian?

A: An accredited veterinarian is one that has completed training through the USDA National Veterinary Accreditation Program. It is state based and allows these veterinarians to complete, sign, and date health certificates for international travel. Depending on the location of travel these health certificates are then countersigned and embossed/ stamped by the Animal Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS).

In the case of travel with dogs or cats to Mexico you will typically need an Accredited Veterinarian to fill out the Health Certificate, but won’t necessarily need the countersigning and embossing by APHIS (see below for more detail).

The following is an overview from the USDA website.

The Health Certificate must...

Be type written, or completed using a word processor or computer. o Documents with handwritten information will be rejected.

Not contain abbreviations. Example:
o Dates: "January" is accepted while "Jan" is not.
o States: Must be the entire word and not the two-letter abbreviation. o Ages: "Months" or "Years" is accepted while "mos" or "yrs" is not.

Mexico will reject VS Form 7001 health certificates if they are not signed and sealed by a Veterinary Services veterinarian.

Choices

You have some choice when it comes to the appropriate documentation to supply for bringing your dogs or cats into Mexico:

• Option A: The APHIS form 7001 health certificate (HC) or

• Option B: A health certificate (HC) issued and signed by an accredited veterinarian on their letterhead certificate

that includes the accreditation number of the signing veterinarian.

Option A: APHIS form 7001 health certificate (HC)

Option B: A health certificate issued and signed by an accredited veterinarian

• Issued and signed by a USDA accredited veterinarian within 10 days prior to export.

• Must be signed and endorsed by a USDA Veterinary Services veterinarian.

Issued and signed by an accredited veterinarian on their letterhead certificate that includes the accreditation number of the signing veterinarian.

[Type here]

• Mexico will reject VS Form 7001 health certificates if they are not signed by an accredited veterinarian and endorsed by a Veterinary Services veterinarian.

• USDA will charge a fee for this option.

• The certificate must be issued within 10 days of export.

• This certificate does not need to be endorsed by USDA.

The certification statements (below) need to be included on or with the 7001. The three statements should be in English and Spanish.

The HC must contain the following information: The statements should be in English and Spanish.

1. Animal/s has been vaccinated against rabies. Indicate the date of vaccination and the date through which the vaccination is valid./Que el o los animales han sido inmunizados contra la rabia, indicando la fecha de aplicación de la vacuna y la vigencia de la misma; quedan exentos de este requisito los animales menores de tres meses de edad.

2. Animals were inspected and found clinically healthy prior to export. Que en la inspección previa a la exportación, los animales se encontraron clínicamente sanos.

3. The animals were treated against ectoparasite and endoparasite in a period not longer than 6 months. Los animales fueron tratados contra ectoparásitos y endoparásitos en un periodo que no exceda seis meses de haberse aplicado.

The HC must contain the name and address of the importer and exporter. When the exporter and importer is the owner, the home address and the destination address of the owner of the pet must be given.
The following certification statements must be included on the HC:

1. Animal/s has been vaccinated against rabies. Indicate the vaccination and expiration dates of the rabies vaccine. Animals younger than three months are exempted from this requirement. Que el o los animales han sido inmunizados contra la rabia, indicando la fecha de aplicación de la vacuna y la vigencia de la misma; quedan exentos de este requisito los animals menores de tres meses de edad.

2. Animals were inspected and found clinically healthy prior to export. Que en la inspección previa a la exportación, los animales se encontraron clínicamente sanos.

3. The animals were treated against ectoparasite and endoparasite in a period not longer than 6 months. Los animales fueron tratados contra ectoparásitos y endoparásitos en un periodo que no exceda seis meses de haberse aplicado.

Form 7001: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/iregs/animals/downloads/mx_aphis_7001.pdf Health Certificate Template for use by an Accredited Veterinarian. Attached to the end of this document.

**Don’t forget that this needs to go on their letterhead**

Which one to use?
So here I will interject a bit of my own opinion

Q: Which form to use?
A: I would lean towards Option B: A health certificate issued and signed by an accredited veterinarian. Q: Why?
A: With the short turnaround time of 10 days prior to export with Option A you would need to:

1) Have an accredited veterinarian fill out the form
2) Have the form sent to the closest Veterinary Services Endorsement Office

[Type here]

3) The Veterinary Services Endorsement Office needs to sign and endorse
4) The form is mailed back to you in a pre-addressed and stamped envelope that you send with the form
5) You have to pay for all the shipping and with only 10 days you will probably have to overnight the form to and from to get it back is a reasonable time
6) You have to pay for the endorsement

Below are some of the other requirements listed on the USDA website OTHER REQUIREMENTS / OTROS REQUISITOS

Personnel from the Office of Animal Health, Aquaculture, and Fishery will inspect the animals and documents. Pets with external parasites will be treated by a private veterinarian chosen by the pet owner who will pay for the cost of the treatment. At inspection, animal cages must be clean. After inspection, the attending official will disinfect animal cages without cost. El Oficial de Sanidad Agropecuaria, Acuícola y Pesquera (OSSAP) realizará la inspección física y verificará que no existan evidencias de parásitos externos, en caso contrario un Médico Veterinario Zootecnista particular elegido por el propietario aplicará el tratamiento indicado, con cargo al importador. Además el 3resente realizará una desinfección mediante 3resenter a las transportadoras del o los 3resent (sin costo), mismas que deberán presentarse limpias.

To comply with dispositions established in Article 24, 32 and 89 of the Federal Law of Animal Health, the importer must present the health certificate at the port of entry. The health certificate must meet the requirements of this Zoosanitary Requirement Sheet (HRZ) and must contain the identification of the pets and destination of the shipment. Para cumplir con las disposiciones establecidas en los artículos 24, 32 y 89 de la Ley Federal de Sanidad Animal: El trámite de importación deberá ser realizado en el primer punto de ingreso al país, cumplir con lo señalado en la presente Hoja de Requisitos Zoosanitarios y hacer mención en el certificado de salud y documentos sanitarios, los datos de identificación de la 3resen y destino del embarque.

Compliance with the sanitary requirements indicated in this document does not exempt the importer of presenting documents required by other authorities. El cumplimiento de los 3resenter3 zoosanitarios aquí señalados, no exime al importador de 3resenter trámites y/o documentos requeridos por otras autoridades.

Information from Mexico

The following information is what is provided on the el Servicio Nacional de Sanidad, Inocuidad Calidad Agroalimentaria (SENASICA) website (National Service of Health, Safety and Agrifood Quality)

Here is a link to their website: https://www.gob.mx/senasica/acciones-y-programas/si-viajas-con-tu-perro-o-gato-56614

In Mexico only dogs and cats are considered pets! Upon entering Mexico ...

You must contact the official SAGARPA-SENASICA personnel to make a Certificate of import of your pet, for this purpose, the officer will perform a physical and documentary inspection, to verify compliance with the following requirements:

1. Submit a Certificate of Good Health with a maximum validity of 15 days of having been issued in original and simple copy with the following elements:

Si viajas con tu perro o gato
¡En México solo se consideran mascotas a perros y gatos! Al ingresar a México ...

Deberás contactar al personal oficial de la SAGARPA- SENASICA para que realice un Certificado de importación de tu mascota, para tal efecto, el oficial realizará una inspección física y documental, para verificar el cumplimiento de los siguientes requisitos:

[Type here]

• Issued by an official veterinarian of the competent authority or if it is a particular one, on letterhead, with the number of the professional certificate printed or a photocopy of the same (or its equivalent).

• Name and address of exporter (in country of origin or provenance) and importer (destination address in Mexico).

• Date of application of the rabies vaccine and its validity (animals under 3 months of age are exempt).

• That at the pre-trip inspection, the animal or animals were clinically healthy.

• That the animal or animals have been dewormed internally and externally within the previous six months and are free of ectoparasites.

If you do not comply with the above, you must contact a Veterinarian (of your choice and for your account in Mexico), who will issue the health certificate and apply the corresponding treatment.

2. Your pet must enter a carrier or container, clean, without bed, without implements or accessories (toys, treats, prizes or other objects, made with ingredients of ruminant origin), otherwise they will be removed for destruction. The carrier or container will receive a preventive treatment by means of sprinkling by the official personnel of SAGARPA-SENASICA; you can enter with your necklace, strap, etc.

3. You can enter the ration of the day of balanced food in bulk. We remind you that in Mexico we have this type of food that has the Registration and Authorization of SAGARPA-SENASICA.

4. If you send your pet documented as a cargo, check the requirements on the airline of your choice and consider the need to use the services of a customs agent for release to Customs.

1. Presentar un Certificado de Buena Salud con vigencia máxima de 15 días de haber sido expedido en original y copia simple con los siguientes elementos:

• Expedido por un médico veterinario oficial de la autoridad competente o si es particular, en papel membretado, con el número de cédula profesional impresa o fotocopia de la misma (o su equivalente).

• Nombre y dirección del exportador (en país de origen o procedencia) y del importador (dirección de destino en México).

• Fecha de aplicación de la vacuna contra la rabia y vigencia de la misma (quedan exentos los animales menores de 3 meses de edad).

• Que en la inspección previa a su viaje, el o los animales se encontraron clínicamente sanos.

• Que el o los animales han sido desparasitados interna y externamente, dentro de los seis meses previos y se encuentran libres de ectoparásitos.

Si no cumples con lo anterior, deberás contactar un Médico Veterinario (de tu elección y por tu cuenta en México), quién expedirá el certificado de salud y aplicará el tratamiento correspondiente.

2. Tu mascota deberá ingresar en una transportadora o contenedor, limpio, sin cama, sin implementos o accesorios (juguetes, golosinas, premios u otros objetos, elaborados con ingredientes de origen rumiante), de lo contrario, serán retirados para su destrucción. La transportadora o contenedor recibirá un tratamiento preventivo mediante aspersión por parte del personal oficial de la SAGARPA-SENASICA; podrá ingresar con su collar, correa, etc.

3. Podrás ingresar la ración del día de alimento balanceado a granel. Te recordamos que en México se dispone de este tipo de alimentos que cuentan con el Registro y Autorización de la SAGARPA-SENASICA.

4. Si envías a tu mascota documentada como carga, verifica los requisitos en la aerolínea de tu elección y considera la necesidad de utilizar los servicios de un agente aduanal para su liberación ante la Aduana.

So the astute reader will notice that the US site states that the HC must be filled out in 10 days and the Mexican site

states that it is 15 days. In my professional opinion I would err on the side of caution and go with the 10 day limit.

[Type here]

Parasites
Q:
What about indicating the medication brand, product name, batch number and date administered for internal and

external parasites?

A: Ok, this is a bit of a tricky one. While I can’t find any specific requirement detailing this on either site there are several anecdotal reports of this being required especially if you fly in with your dog(s) cats(s). While the USDA states that the template (that I’ve copied below) should not be changed I would recommend that you have the veterinarian supply and additional statement on a separate piece of letter head reasserting:

The animals were treated against ectoparasite and endoparasite in a period not longer than 6 months. / Los animales fueron tratados contra ectoparásitos y endoparásitos en un periodo que no exceda seis meses de haberse aplicado. Then listing the medication brand, product name, batch number and date administered. (I’ve created a template below for this purpose, just note that this is not an official document of any government etc. so use at your own risk).

If you decide to go the Option A route, on the form is a section called “OTHER VACCINATIONS, TREATMENT, AND/OR TESTS AND RESULTS” I have spoken with the Veterinary Services Endorsement Office in Texas and they recommended placing the parasite treatment information in this section.

Flying vs. Driving

If you plan to fly in with your pets I would strongly recommend that you contact your individual airline to find out what their paperwork requirements are, they could be different from what I have listed here. Also to the best of my knowledge when you fly and reach Mexico your pets will be inspected by someone from the Oficinas de Inspección de Sanidad Agropecuarias (OISA). You will need to supply them with the correct paperwork to receive your import certificate.

If you drive in it is your responsibility to stop at the nearest OISA office location to have your pets inspected and receive your import certificate. I know a lot of people don’t complete this step when driving in, I just wanted to be clear that as far as I know you are supposed to do this.

Here is a link to the OISA locations:

https://www.gob.mx/cms/uploads/attachment/file/182074/Directorio_20170110.pdf

Here is a link to a blog post by NOMAD-ISH with similar information on brining pets into Mexico.

https://nomad-ish.com/furry-family-members-bringing-pets-into-mexico/

I hope this helps and removes some of the worry about bringing your dogs and cats from the US to Mexico. Safe Travels
Dr. Calvin Patten Jr.

[Type here]

HEALTH CERTIFICATE TO EXPORT DOGS AND CATS FROM THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA TO MEXICO

Name and Address of Consignor/Nombre y Dirección de Consignador:
Name and Address of Consignee/Nombre y Dirección del Destinatario:
Identification of the animals to be exported / Identificación de los animales a ser exportados.

Identification/ Identificación

Breed / Raza

Sex / Sexo

Age / Edad

1. Animal/s has been vaccinated against rabies. Indicate the vaccination and expiration dates of the rabies vaccine. Animals younger than three months are exempted from this
requirement. / Que el o los animales han sido inmunizados contra la rabia, indicando la fecha de aplicación de la vacuna y la vigencia de la misma; quedan exentos de este requisito los animales menores de tres meses de edad.

Rabies Identification/Rabia Identificación

RabiesName/Rabia & Manufacturer/Marca/Serial Number/Serial Numero

Date Given/Fecha

Date Expires/Fecha Expiraccion

1. Animals were inspected and found clinically healthy prior to export / Que en la inspección previa a la exportación, los animales se encontraron clínicamente sanos.

2. The animals were treated against ectoparasite and endoparasite in a period not longer than 6 months. / Los animales fueron tratados contra ectoparásitos y endoparásitos en un periodo que no exceda seis meses de haberse aplicado.

Veterinarian Signature/ Date/Fecha Veterinario Firma

Accreditation number/Número de Acreditación

[Type here]

The animals were treated against ectoparasite and endoparasite in a period not longer than 6 months.

Los animales fueron tratados contra ectoparásitos y endoparásitos en un periodo que no exceda seis meses de haberse aplicado.

medication brand/marca medication

product name/nombre del producto

lot number/número de lote

date given/fecha dada

Veterinarian Signature/ Date/Fecha Veterinario Firma

Accreditation number/Número de Acreditación

image.png

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is not exactly on topic, but related.  We adopted both our dogs in Mexico, 2012.  We drive to Canada each spring and return to Mexico by car each autumn.  Two borders each trip; four borders a year.  About 30 border crossings in total.   Only one border person has asked us even one question about our dogs   in that whole time.  No border person has ever asked to see any paperwork for the dogs.   Usually they don't even acknowledge their presence in the car.  

We are diligent about bringing proof of up-to-date shots with us on each trip, (just a letter or slip from the vet---usually a Mexican vet as their shots are due when we are in Mexico)but have never had to show them.    It's interesting to me to read about how different the procedures are when travelling by plane as opposed to car.