Chapala.com Webboard

questions, residente permanente, seguros popular, cars

telcoman

Hopefully sonia will respond. I have spent 10 years in Mexico so far about 6 months at a time in an RV. Medical insurance is becoming prohibitive, so

1) I am thinking of getting residente permanente and getting seguros. The question I have is, can I put my wife under me if she is only in Mexico on a tourist visa? We intend to bring our motorhome in under her name. I can still drive it apparently. One fly in the ointment may be that we are common in law (for 20 years) . In Canada that is legaly married, but Mexico?

2) I know i can buy a car locally,  but what are the regs on importing? I have a 2008 honda Fit worth about $4k. I am wondering if I could also leave it registered in Canada as well and swap plates at the border.  Not too expensive just to retain liability on it in Canada. Other option is to buy a mexican car, find a place to store it in San Carlos in the free zone, and swap vehicles on entry. I imagine best option is to buy a mexican car if I can find an older one cheap that is more or less reliable. I could find one in Canada for about 3K that has high mileage & nationalize it as long as there are no restrictions on how old it is.

I see sonia answered the common in law question in naother post, I can do all of this no problem

To prove a common-law relationship in Mexico, the applicants must present a Statutory Declaration or Affidavit signed before a Canadian Notary Public, stating that as of the date of the visa application the interested parties have cohabited publicly and continuously for a minimum of two years. This declaration must contain certified copies (certified by a Notary Public) of the official photo identification of the interested parties (passport, driver’s license), as well as documents demonstrating their common-law relationship (rental contract or financing to purchase a home signed jointly; joint property; joint bank or credit accounts; income tax return showing the common-law union; life insurance policy listing the common-law partner as beneficiary, etc.). More here: http://www.soniadiaz.mx/citizenship--etc..html

Afraid of that. my temptation is to just rely on what my home province will pay, and get really good evac insurance. I suppse at least I coudl go under seguros which would make it a bit cheaper and I am 6 years older than my wife.

OK here si another question can you sign up while a residente visa is pending. IE you have the special stamp in your passport. I may get permanente and have my wife get temporado which is good for 4 years, We would have to remove our RV at that time..

I am pretty sure that you would have to actually have the residence visa card already issued.

Beyond that: You could keep, and drive, your 'toad' Honda, with Canadian plates, for the four years that your spouse had a Residente Temporal visa.  Then, toward the end of the 4 years, it would be wise for her to exit, and re-enter as a tourist, in order to keep both the RV and car eligible to be in Mexico, if they are in her name; as they would have to be.  While she was RT, she could apply to SP, but would have to coast for a short time while a tourist, then re-apply for RT on the next visit north.  It is the only way I see to meet most of your needs....sort of.

Other than that, you would have to give up both vehicles, become residents in a more proper way, and live under a roof & drive a car purchased in Mexico.

• Like 1

Only a TR or PR with a fully issued visa may obtain SP. And in many states SP is only available to citizens. SP is available to visa holders in Cuernavaca, Puerto Vallarta and one of the SP offices in Riviera Nayarit. Other may answer regarding at lakeside. In it not available to non-citizens in the states of Queretaro nor Guanajuato at all.  

RVGringo answered re cars.

Thanks sonia. 3 years ago you answered the question about whether you could leave car in mexico under a 180 permit while you flew home temporarily. I am assuming you still can.  As long as it leaves before the 180 days. That is what you pay the $400 for  I have done this on a couple of occasions with no problem. One year i drove it to canada and back within the 180 days. Last year I flew to colombia (mex city) over christmas. The guy at the airport saw I had drivien in and sent me to the aduana. He just stamped the tourist card without asking to see the TIP.

There is one possible reason not to do it:  If you were to wreck your car, or if it were stolen, burned, or otherwise lost, you would not be able to return it to the Mexican border to have the sticker removed and receipted by Banjercito.  As such, you would be prevented from ever bringing in another car.  However, your spouse could, if you have one.  No, an accident report would not solve the problem. Your deposit is lost and the restriction remains.

That is why I always suggest that you have the sticker removed and receipted by Banjercito when crossing the border.  Get a fresh one on your return & start the 180 day clock again.

The car won't be leaving mexico, storing it in my brothe rin laws garage while flying out. I did actually drive my truck back home one christmas and reenter on the same TIP & tourist card. I always cancel the TIP on leaving mexico even with a 10 year. I have seen the scenario you describe more than once.

I am now hearing you can actually can have a foreign plated RV in mexico under a 10 year TIP with residente permanente status.   if true I do need to confirm this but that is what is looks like on the SATsite and I know a couple that are doing that. I need to have my Mexican partner call SAT and confirm or debunk that.

Under regs for cars, they distinctly state you cannot have  a foreign plated car when you have permanente. In the section on Casa Rodantes there is no mention of it. Its  a new one  on me. and Sonia too, if true. I suspect you cannot get a 10 year if you already have permanente, but I am thinking if you already have it, they dont care. Probably can't renew it.

If you can read Spanish check it out. Its there in English as well, but I dont trust anything but the spanish version. A mistranslation on truck weights on the banjercito site has caused all sorts of issues with that issue.

http://omawww.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/vehiculos/importacion_temporal/Paginas/automoviles.aspx

http://omawww.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/vehiculos/importacion_temporal/Paginas/casas_rodantes.aspx

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/14/2019 at 9:17 PM, Sonia said:

Only a TR or PR with a fully issued visa may obtain SP. And in many states SP is only available to citizens. SP is available to visa holders in Cuernavaca, Puerto Vallarta and one of the SP offices in Riviera Nayarit. Other may answer regarding at lakeside. In it not available to non-citizens in the states of Queretaro nor Guanajuato at all.  

RVGringo answered re cars.

Google Translation:
MIGRATION LAW New Law published in the Official Gazette of the Federation on May 25, 2011 CURRENT TEXT Last reform published 04-21-2016 On the margin a seal with the National Shield, which says: United Mexican States.- Presidency of the Republic. FELIPE DE JESÚS CALDERÓN HINOJOSA, President of the United Mexican States, its inhabitants know: That the Honorable Congress of the Union, has served to address the following: "SECOND TITLE RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS OF MIGRANTS SINGLE CHAPTER RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS Article 6. The Mexican State shall guarantee the exercise of the rights and freedoms of foreigners recognized in the Constitution, in international treaties and conventions to which the Mexican State is a party and in the applicable legal provisions, regardless of their immigration status. Page 5 of 49 Article 7. The freedom of every person to enter, remain, transit and leave the national territory shall have the limitations established in the Constitution, international treaties and conventions to which the Mexican State is a party, this Law and other applicable legal provisions. Free transit is a right of every person and it is the duty of any authority to promote and respect it. No person will be required to prove their nationality and immigration status in the national territory, more than by the competent authority in the cases and under the circumstances established in this Law. Article 8. Migrants may access the educational services provided by the public and private sectors, regardless of their immigration status and in accordance with the applicable legal and regulatory provisions. Migrants will have the right to receive any type of medical care, provided by the public and private sectors, regardless of their [legal] immigration status, in accordance with the applicable legal and regulatory provisions. Migrants, regardless of their immigration status, will have the right to receive, free of charge and without restriction, any kind of urgent medical care that is necessary to preserve their life. In the provision of educational and medical services, no administrative act will establish restrictions greater than those generally established for Mexicans. Article 9. Judges or officers of the Civil Registry may not deny migrants, regardless of their immigration status, the authorization of the acts of marital status or the issuance of certificates relating to birth, recognition of children, marriage, divorce and death . Article 10. The Mexican State shall guarantee migrants who intend to enter the country on a regular basis or who reside in national territory with a regular immigration status, as well as those who intend to regularize their immigration status in the country, the right to the preservation of family unit. Article 11. In any case, regardless of their immigration status, migrants will have the right to the procurement and delivery of justice, respecting at all times the right to due process, as well as to submit complaints regarding human rights, in accordance with the provisions contained in the Constitution and other applicable laws. In the procedures applicable to migrant children and adolescents, their age will be taken into account and their best interests will be privileged. Article 12. Migrants, regardless of their immigration status, will have the right to recognition of their legal personality, in accordance with the provisions of the Constitution and international treaties and conventions to which the Mexican State is a party. Article 13. Migrants and their families who are in the territory of the United Mexican States shall have the right to be provided information about:
I. Your rights and obligations, in accordance with current legislation; II. The requirements established by the applicable legislation for..."

All socialized medicine systems in Mexico are available to legal residents   -  if they qualify for IMSS - if not they qualify to join the Seguro Popular - under rights of legal immigrant residents in  the  SEGOB  -  INM 2011 Immigration Law. This includes Residente Permanentes and Residente Temporal residents.  Any state, city or hospital where Seguro Popular is denied to any legal resident is breaking this law and the federal Secretaria de Salud federal law and federal anti-discrimination law. Report them to the Secretaria de Salud administration office in the Seguro Popular hospital you are applying at. You will need the place, date, time and the employees name to report them. Take a copy of the above law with you. Even if the employee was instructed by higher ups the investigation you iniciate will reach those whom have incorporated a policy illegally in their particular sector of the federally administrated by Secretaria de Salud federal employees and federally funded Seguro Popular. IMSS also is administrated and mostly - some fee funded - funded by the federal government Secretaria de Salud and both have to follow federal laws without discrimination. Your 16 percent IVA taxes and any SAT taxes you pay fund it.