Chapala.com Webboard

Windows 10 UPDATE

Alpha1

59 minutes ago, ezpz said:

Do users of Windows 7 have to make changes?  If so, what?

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/283773-widows-7-update-support-ends-one-year-from-today

Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 7 in 2015, but the OS is still covered by extended support until January 14, 2020. In this phase, Windows 7 no longer receives new features via updates, but Microsoft will still push out security patches on a regular basis. In exactly one year, that will also end.Jan 14, 2019

I'm moving to Chrome since it is so much easier to use and trouble free...

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-windows-is-falling-apart-says-google-and-bill-nye/

I've never downloaded a Windows 10 Update since i got my present laptop, 2 years ago. Hasn't seemed to make an iota of difference aside from my computer not running at the speed of molasses, as it did with the last laptop when I was downloading all of them. Of course I have virus protections on, and all seems to work just fine.

• Like 1

On the other hand... I installed Win10 over Win7 when that became available and on a 7 YO laptop. Recently installed an SSD drive. Now runs like the proverbial spotted a** ape. I always do updates including the latest to Ver 1903 last week. Still got a blazingingly fast but old laptop. To each his own I guess.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RickS said:

On the other hand... I installed Win10 over Win7 when that became available and on a 7 YO laptop. Recently installed an SSD drive. Now runs like the proverbial spotted a** ape. I always do updates including the latest to Ver 1903 last week. Still got a blazinging fast but old laptop. To each his own I guess.

I did the same thing. The old laptop had a bad virus the slowed it to a crawl I couldn't get rid of. After the install it was faster than ever and still is after many years. It was a free install back then.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

I did the same thing. The old laptop had a bad virus the slowed it to a crawl I couldn't get rid of. After the install it was faster than ever and still is after many years. It was a free install back then.

Was your computer faster because of the new SSD drive and/or just the windows 10?  Windows 10 installed itself on my laptop a couple years ago without my permission.  It drove me crazy, before they put in the option to make the interface like Windows 7 which was fine with me.  I have about 20,000 fotos and videos on my laptop, organized MY way, and I don't need some new program invented for children to tell me how to organize my files, thank you very much.  So I have resisted Windows 10 since then.  What to do now?

22 minutes ago, ezpz said:

Was your computer faster because of the new SSD drive and/or just the windows 10?  Windows 10 installed itself on my laptop a couple years ago without my permission.  It drove me crazy, before they put in the option to make the interface like Windows 7 which was fine with me.  I have about 20,000 fotos and videos on my laptop, organized MY way, and I don't need some new program invented for children to tell me how to organize my files, thank you very much.  So I have resisted Windows 10 since then.  What to do now?

Keep resisting ezpz. They are always trying to push us around. But you will need some of the updates.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, ezpz said:

Was your computer faster because of the new SSD drive and/or just the windows 10?

As the name implies (to some), an SSD device (Solid State Drive) is basically electronic memory set up to mimic a physical, mechanical disk drive. As such read and writing data to/from a SSD drive is all done with circuitry and not a physical twirling disk that has to be accessed by a physical 'arm' before info can be gathered and used by a program. As a generalization think in terms of miliseconds... thousandths of a second.... versus maybe 1/2 a second to access the same info. For another not so good analogy think 'dial-up access versus a fiber optics access'. 😊

Hard to answer your other question... An SSD device will make any program/operating system that has to access data MUCH faster. It will NOT act like a faster CPU (brain) but the affects of changing to an SSD can be much more dramatic than either adding a faster CPU and/or more internal memory. Also having someone 'clean up' your installation can also make a dramatic difference.... especially at Startup.

Someone local like CG could do both things for you and your (computer) life would benefit significantly.

And now for some comic relief...

I just recently bought a new computer and wanted an SSD. I thought it stood for Stainless Steel Drive.... DUH!

My brain was scrambled with all the choices internally. I didn't get the SSD... maybe later when the computer slows down and prices for them come down.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

And now for some comic relief...

I just recently bought a new computer and wanted an SSD. I thought it stood for Stainless Steel Drive.... DUH!

My brain was scrambled with all the choices internally. I didn't get the SSD... maybe later when the computer slows down and prices for them come down.

https://therevisionist.org/reviews/ssd-vs-hdd-one-reliable/

It is generally thought that mechanical Hard Disk Drives (HDD), is more reliable in the long run with reads/writes, as a SSD has a maximum number of writes that it can handle. However, SSDs are more reliable with shock damage because they contain no moving parts.Dec 16, 2016

2 hours ago, ezpz said:

Was your computer faster because of the new SSD drive and/or just the windows 10?

I only installed Windows 10 over Windows 7 and it got rid of the virus it had for months but was faster than I remember it being on the internet than before it got sick. I didn't add a SSD drive. It wasn't that old and has a large hard drive.

3 hours ago, ezpz said:

Windows does not come with the option to make it look like Windows 7. But there are free programs that can be installed quickly, that do just that. EG: http://www.classicshell.net/

1 hour ago, Alpha1 said:

https://therevisionist.org/reviews/ssd-vs-hdd-one-reliable/

It is generally thought that mechanical Hard Disk Drives (HDD), is more reliable in the long run with reads/writes, as a SSD has a maximum number of writes that it can handle. However, SSDs are more reliable with shock damage because they contain no moving parts.Dec 16, 2016

The average computer junkie will never even notice.

10 hours ago, ezpz said:

I have no idea. I'm not techie and don't understand such things. All I know is that my previous laptop ran slower and slower every time I downloaded the updates. It 's not like my new laptop was some higher-end piece of equipment. Same brand and type as my old one. But the old one had Windows 7 and the new one Windows 10. And I don't have many photos or other memory using stuff stored on my computer, not the current one or the old one.

7 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I have no idea. I'm not techie and don't understand such things. All I know is that my previous laptop ran slower and slower every time I downloaded the updates. It 's not like my new laptop was some higher-end piece of equipment. Same brand and type as my old one. But the old one had Windows 7 and the new one Windows 10. And I don't have many photos or other memory using stuff stored on my computer, not the current one or the old one.

The updates and newer programs that come along with Windows 10 are designed to run on machines more powerful than your original Windows 7 laptop. And so things tend to run slower. In particular, video display drivers... the software that runs your screen and everything on it... often can not keep up-to-date, and they can really slow you down. Microsoft knows this, but in their efforts to get everyone onto Windows 10, they have little regard for the impact that pushing people from 7 to 10 might have.

If you hold down the CTRL - SHIFT and ESC keys at the same time, you will get a window. One tab is labelled Performance. It shows a graph of how busy your computer's CPU gets. Watch this graph when nothing else is happening on the computer, with no programs open. It should stay fairly low. If it appears to constantly spike to 25, 40, 60, 90%, then you undoubtedly have a slow PC. What it shows is how busy the computer is, and if it is busy when you are doing nothing, Windows has been damaged internally. All Windows computers display this reduction in speed over 3, 4 or 5 years. All can be fixed by reinstalling Windows. But I recommend against it unless you just can't deal with it anymore... it's a fairly big job to do it right.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DuckieHoomever said:

I'm desperately trying to see how this is a lakeside topic, but I'm miserably failing. Can't y'all find a Windows forum to bicker about this on? I have. Can anyone here explain to me why this is specifically relevant to lakeside? Please? Look, I love this website - gives me info, insights into what's happening there while I'm stuck up here NOB, but Windows problems are universal, and NOT specific to lakeside!

Duckiedear, can’t you just overlook it?  No one made you open it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1