Chapala.com Webboard

What is a rib eye steak?

happyjillin

I caught A Safeway store red handed passing off a trimmed chuck cut as prime rib steak. I complained to the butcher to no avail and he kept doing it. I  explained to management that my next step will be to bring in CBC news with camera to show what they're doing. They gave me 4 rib steaks and 2 pounds of shrimp,thanked me and stopped doing the nasty deed. I can't recall if the butcher kept his job.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Firstly Puck didn't own Swift Canadian in the mid 60's and I was in their management training programme not marketing ,my last position being in production incentive,one of my departments being portion cut meats. As usual your lack of knowledge is showing by your google of everything under the sun to answer my question. If this were chuck

what part of it would you suggest using real knowledge?

While I apologise for not keeping up with every detail of Pedrostronics. I do not find it interesting. The part that I did find interesting is that you claim to be in management training - for a company which became known as the worst example of labour and management relations - in Canadian history! They still have problems finding workers. I have two nephews that worked there for a very short time.They managed to get special permission to sponsor Mexican workers, with their families (this is unusual). About 18 families came, a few months later, only 4 remained. Sound familiar?

https://www.packingtown.org/timeline.html

• Sad 1

Chillin, if you are not interested in discussing rib eye steak why even get involved in a thread about RES? If your interest is in poking, prodding, insulting other posters you are on the wrong web board as the mods here have often enough pointed out. Why not just let people discuss a topic in which you claim to have no interest if you are not spoiling for a fight? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, Xena said:

Chillin, if you are not interested in discussing rib eye steak why even get involved in a thread about RES? If your interest is in poking, prodding, insulting other posters you are on the wrong web board as the mods here have often enough pointed out. Why not just let people discuss a topic in which you claim to have no interest if you are not spoiling for a fight? 

23 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Sorry mam, bullying, braggarts who also lie, just get under my skin. I have been trying to get the topic back to Mexico. Not one of those photos represent meats available here locally, only expensive imports have that much fat and marbling.

6 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Sorry mam, bullying, braggarts who also lie, just get under my skin. I have been trying to get the topic back to Mexico. Not one of those photos represent meats available here locally, only expensive imports have that much fat and marbling.

You might be more successful getting the subject back on topic by, oh I don’t know, talking about the topic. But you have said you are not interested in this topic.

I completely understand certain types of people getting under your skin. However, this really is not the venue for dealing with that in your preferred manner. It has previously been suggested that people take these types of discussions into private messages and have at it. Of course, this does not provide an audience for your attempt to take someone down a peg or two which appears to be part of what you want. Believe me, I have been there. It takes way more energy than I am interested in expending at this point in my life — you know, like nearer to the end of it than I am comfortable being. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Xena said:

You might be more successful getting the subject back on topic by, oh I don’t know, talking about the topic. But you have said you are not interested in this topic.

I have written that I was not interested in someone hanging out their memories to dry, from another country, in another culture, from 50 years ago.  This is the same man who has claimed, many times, that he is writing his autobiography. Snork! indeed.

I know about blade in beef chuck. If you look under the what I miss Lakeside, I posted a couple weeks ago that I missed this fatty cut, cooked in a ceramic Romertopf cooker for a couple of hours.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

The topic is rib steak and parts thereof and the evolution of nomenclature from the 60's. everything mention is available in Mexico and not all are imports. You don't know your meats and know even less about Swift Canadian who's main plant and offices where across from the Toronto stockyard and next to Canada Packers HQ which was across from  Puddy Beef and Presswood Bacon and Ham. That's where I worked at Swift in the 60's near the beginning of my working life, not in Edmonton's branch plant. How sad ! Go spout your venom and lying nonsense and misinformation elsewhere as has been suggested by some in this thread that seem to have an interest in the topic. By the way I have seen the 7 bone chuck that you allegedly miss not having here, at Soriana but always sliced very thin the Mexican way. Instead of stewing about it[pun intended] all you had to do is ask the butcher. All butchers here have a diagram on their wall of a hog and steer so if you know your parts and  your Spanish isn't that good point with your finger at what you want.

28 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

The topic is rib steak and parts thereof and the evolution of nomenclature from the 60'. everything mention is available in mexico and not all are imports. You don't know your meats and know even less about Swift Canadian who's main plant and offices where across from the Toronto stockyard and next to Canada Packers HQ which was across from  Puddy Beef and Presswood Bacon and Ham. That's where I worked at Swift in the 60's near the beginning of my working life, not in Edmonton's branch plant. How sad ! Go spout your venom and lying nonsense and misinformation elsewhere as has been suggested by some in this thread that seem to have an interest in the topic. By the way I have seen the 7 bone chuck that you allegedly miss not having here, at Soriana but always sliced very thin the Mexican way. Instead of stewing about it[pun intended] all you had to do is ask the butcher. All butchers here have a diagram on their wall of a hog and steer so if you know your parts and  your Spanish isn't that good point with your finger at what you want.

yawn. tipico. blah. blah. blah.

2 hours ago, Xena said:

Of course, this does not provide an audience for your attempt to take someone down a peg or two which appears to be part of what you want.

Or show off this unlimited encyclopedic knowledge that comes across about as false as a three dollar bill, projecting an image that I can´t buy into.

1 hour ago, slainte39 said:

Or show off this unlimited encyclopedic knowledge that comes across about as false as a three dollar bill, projecting an image that I can´t buy into.

Yes, a problem I have had since a young boy. On a road trip at 9 years old, pointing out to my parents different conusulations in the night sky. Idoitotee maybe, but idoitee savant, happy where I am. No tentacles sucking life and bones from my body and income.

And yes, I will admit I have always had a love/hate relationship with the Irish. Sometimes they write or speak words of brilliance, other times mouthfuls of shite.

What is the favored cut of beef in Eireland? Curious minds want to know.

Ah yes, the curious minds.  Most of the time I give them the same answer…….pog mo thóin !

I´ll give you a little hint laddie,  in Eire cows are for dairy and lamb is for meat,  amongst the land creatures.  The bull calves/steers get slaughtered and the meat is exported as Irish beef.

Kerry Gold is giving Land O Lakes a run for their money in the butter competition in the US.

Although the U S D A does its best to regulate the primal cuts , along with a great deal of help from the major meat packers it can still be a little confusing as many  “ cut “ names are somewhat regional . When I order a full rib eye I have to stipulate which numerical I want...there are 12  slightly different cuts ....lip on ,lip off , fullcap , bone in and so forth .The main problem with the “ cap “ or deckle steak as we used to call it , is that you basically have to ruin the rib eye to cut it correctly . So the cost can be prohibitive and you are left with a sub - standard ribeye or “ jillins “ original posted comment .

• Like 1

On 8/17/2019 at 6:28 PM, CHILLIN said:

Yes, a problem I have had since a young boy. On a road trip at 9 years old, pointing out to my parents different conusulations in the night sky. Idoitotee maybe, but idoitee savant, happy where I am. No tentacles sucking life and bones from my body and income.

And yes, I will admit I have always had a love/hate relationship with the Irish. Sometimes they write or speak words of brilliance, other times mouthfuls of shite.

What is the favored cut of beef in Eireland? Curious minds want to know.

https://www.curiousminds.nz