Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard
happyjillin

What is a rib eye steak?

Recommended Posts

What has been sold as rib eye since the late 60's is actually a boneless, with cap removed, prime rib steak.The actual "eye" is called that because its more or less round and in the centre of the rib steak. As you can imagine,isolating the eye became very expensive and hence no more. This pic clearly shows the eye

Ribeye Steak_Lip-on.psd.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the ribeyes I have bought have the cap attached. Costco Galerias has just the eye steak and the cap rolled up and tied as a steak. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tomgates said:

All the ribeyes I have bought have the cap attached. Costco Galerias has just the eye steak and the cap rolled up and tied as a steak. 

you have not understood what i wrote yet again.

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The eye of the rib the "ribeye" is the middle part. But since the '60s (60 years ago) the cap is included in the labeling. Pendantic but true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough when i said cap removed. In this picture the cap i referred to is the fat and 2 thin pieces of meat which aren't as tender as the rest of the rib steak. In meat packing jargon that is the cap.

rib-of-beef-rustic-1024x1024.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fat is just the fat. The cap, as served in restaurants, is that piece just to the right of the eye in your picture above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Rassabossa said:

I'm just gonna leave this here.

And I am going to raise you, 45 day dry aged. It really is this easy, but if I make another one, I will ask the butcher to cut off the bones at that fat line, they tie them back on the roast with butcher twine, then aging. Beautiful, beefy ribs, and the roast cut into thin steaks.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are Foodsavers avail here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, tomgates said:

Are Foodsavers avail here?

I would think are available. The Umai site has listed the best.

When we made a primerib, bone in roast, the vacuum sealer we had borrowed did not work, so we made sure the bag was fairly tight on the meat and I used a drinking straw to suck out the air, while my lovely assistant sealed the bag with zip ties, and we backed up the seal with duct tape. This was local beef, aged 30 days, it should went at least 45 for more flavor and tenderness.

I notice you can now buy bags in Mexico from mercadolibre.com.mx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When my folks butchered their cattle, they dry aged it 21 days.  Of course, that was US beef, grass fed and finished on grain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, tomgates said:

The fat is just the fat. The cap, as served in restaurants, is that piece just to the right of the eye in your picture above.

No

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Rassabossa said:

I'm just gonna leave this here.

Just confirms what I said about the designation ribeye cut after the 60's when I worked for a large meat packer. I find interesting that the author in your link waffles calling it rib eye and then prime rib constantly. Can't make up his mind?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this research for your new book, "History of Meat" volume 1, abalone to beef,  author  I ¶edrovius?

This article is very good about beef IN MEXICO, there is also a link to chart of the more obscure NOB cuts.

https://www.vallartaeats.com/mexican-beef-cuts/

The foodsaver brand UMAI recomends is model 2244.

Also note you cannot dry age individual steaks (with bags that is) only primal cuts such as brisket, blade roast etc. That dry age video I sent in, the end product would have weighed 30% less than at the start. Part of the reason why it is so expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Is this research for your new book, "History of Meat" volume 1, abalone to beef,  author  I ¶edrovius?

This article is very good about beef IN MEXICO, there is also a link to chart of the more obscure NOB cuts.

https://www.vallartaeats.com/mexican-beef-cuts/

The foodsaver brand UMAI recomends is model 2244.

Also note you cannot dry age individual steaks (with bags that is) only primal cuts such as brisket, blade roast etc. That dry age video I sent in, the end product would have weighed 30% less than at the start. Part of the reason why it is so expensive.

Last time I looked my OP was about steak from the rib in this day after the 60's being called rib eye even though it's not just the eye.Not confident to ID  my latest picture post are we so that you have to run off on something entirely dif?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to this chart, designed by a beef association for professional butchers, I would say blade chuck steak, a custom saw cut diezmillo steak. Didn't you work for the marketing dept. of that meat place? Selling Peter Pocklington's pickled pig's knuckles. try saying that quickly!

https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/cuts/cut-charts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

According to this chart, designed by a beef association for professional butchers, I would say blade chuck steak, a custom saw cut diezmillo steak. Didn't you work for the marketing dept. of that meat place? Selling Peter Pocklington's pickled pig's knuckles. try saying that quickly!

https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/cuts/cut-charts

Firstly Puck didn't own Swift Canadian in the mid 60's and I was in their management training programme not marketing ,my last position being in production incentive,one of my departments being portion cut meats. As usual your lack of knowledge is showing by your google of everything under the sun to answer my question. If this were chuck

 what part of it would you suggest using real knowledge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blade Steak, or 7 bone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...