Chapala.com Webboard

What is a rib eye steak?

happyjillin

What has been sold as rib eye since the late 60's is actually a boneless, with cap removed, prime rib steak.The actual "eye" is called that because its more or less round and in the centre of the rib steak. As you can imagine,isolating the eye became very expensive and hence no more. This pic clearly shows the eye

Ribeye Steak_Lip-on.psd.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rassabossa said:

I'm just gonna leave this here.

And I am going to raise you, 45 day dry aged. It really is this easy, but if I make another one, I will ask the butcher to cut off the bones at that fat line, they tie them back on the roast with butcher twine, then aging. Beautiful, beefy ribs, and the roast cut into thin steaks.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, tomgates said:

Are Foodsavers avail here?

I would think are available. The Umai site has listed the best.

When we made a primerib, bone in roast, the vacuum sealer we had borrowed did not work, so we made sure the bag was fairly tight on the meat and I used a drinking straw to suck out the air, while my lovely assistant sealed the bag with zip ties, and we backed up the seal with duct tape. This was local beef, aged 30 days, it should went at least 45 for more flavor and tenderness.

I notice you can now buy bags in Mexico from mercadolibre.com.mx

21 hours ago, Rassabossa said:

I'm just gonna leave this here.

Just confirms what I said about the designation ribeye cut after the 60's when I worked for a large meat packer. I find interesting that the author in your link waffles calling it rib eye and then prime rib constantly. Can't make up his mind?

Is this research for your new book, "History of Meat" volume 1, abalone to beef,  author  I ¶edrovius?

This article is very good about beef IN MEXICO, there is also a link to chart of the more obscure NOB cuts.

https://www.vallartaeats.com/mexican-beef-cuts/

The foodsaver brand UMAI recomends is model 2244.

Also note you cannot dry age individual steaks (with bags that is) only primal cuts such as brisket, blade roast etc. That dry age video I sent in, the end product would have weighed 30% less than at the start. Part of the reason why it is so expensive.

17 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Is this research for your new book, "History of Meat" volume 1, abalone to beef,  author  I ¶edrovius?

This article is very good about beef IN MEXICO, there is also a link to chart of the more obscure NOB cuts.

https://www.vallartaeats.com/mexican-beef-cuts/

The foodsaver brand UMAI recomends is model 2244.

Also note you cannot dry age individual steaks (with bags that is) only primal cuts such as brisket, blade roast etc. That dry age video I sent in, the end product would have weighed 30% less than at the start. Part of the reason why it is so expensive.

Last time I looked my OP was about steak from the rib in this day after the 60's being called rib eye even though it's not just the eye.Not confident to ID  my latest picture post are we so that you have to run off on something entirely dif?

According to this chart, designed by a beef association for professional butchers, I would say blade chuck steak, a custom saw cut diezmillo steak. Didn't you work for the marketing dept. of that meat place? Selling Peter Pocklington's pickled pig's knuckles. try saying that quickly!

https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/cuts/cut-charts

11 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

According to this chart, designed by a beef association for professional butchers, I would say blade chuck steak, a custom saw cut diezmillo steak. Didn't you work for the marketing dept. of that meat place? Selling Peter Pocklington's pickled pig's knuckles. try saying that quickly!

https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/cuts/cut-charts

Firstly Puck didn't own Swift Canadian in the mid 60's and I was in their management training programme not marketing ,my last position being in production incentive,one of my departments being portion cut meats. As usual your lack of knowledge is showing by your google of everything under the sun to answer my question. If this were chuck

what part of it would you suggest using real knowledge?

5 hours ago, tomgates said:

Blade Steak, or 7 bone.

CG already won the prize. It's a chuck roast approximately 4 inches thick closest to the large end of the prime rib and furthest from the shoulder. One can easily see where those ribs are the resemblance to the large end of the prime rib 6-8.The great Canadian Super Store had frequent specials on these chuck roasts,about 1/4 the price of a prime rib roast. I would get 2 nice thick quality rib [but smaller] steaks and the rest i would use for goulash and thinly cut some for my Italian steak on a bun. When that wasn't on sale I would get the prime rib 6-8 and cut that into steak. Chuck aka blade yes . 7 bone chuck is the portion closest to shoulder and doesn't have that cut in it that looks like prime rib. note the difference in the blade bone shape in this picture of a 7 bone portion of the chuck/blade. Apparently it's called that because the blade bone sort of resembles a 7. the portion under the blade is useful for thinly cutting for Italian steak on a bun. the rest is good for stews/goulash or whole as pot roast.

chuck 7 bone.jpg

• Like 1