Chapala.com Webboard

Kindle recommendatoins needed

Natasha

My ancient Kindle is dying and I reluctantly need to buy a new one. I ONLY want to be able to download (free) books from Amazon and read same.  I do not care about any other wonderful features that I (techno-dino) will neither understand nor use.

I DO want to be able to read in sunshine or in shade, indoors or out.

Recommendations, suggestions, and negatives relative to various models  from actual users (and please tell me the model) highly appreciated. TIA

I switched from Kindle to Kobo years ago. Will take any book format... whereas Kindle will only take it's own format, unless you get into conversion software. You can download free Kindle books from Amazon to the Kobo, or the Kobo bookstore. In any case, they all come with front-lighting, which is great for power outages.

https://us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-aura

The basic Kindle is cheaper, for sure, and all Kindles have no-glare, read-in-sunshine faces, so it doesn't matter what model.

Personally, I went with the Kobo Aura, which was definitely more expensive, but also has a much bigger screen than most, so you get a full page at a time, just like a real book. I also like that it displays the book cover when it's off. Just like the analog version.

I recently bought the 'new' Kindle like below. Perfect size for me. One can surely read it in the sunlight. The 'lights' it talks about are not really visible but do make it so one can read in the dark also.... but I always prefer a little light in the room when I read. I've read a couple of books and haven't recharged it yet.

https://www.amazon.com/All-new-Kindle-now-with-a-built-in-front-light/dp/B07DLPWYB7

For any one considering jumping to a different brand of e-reader, there is an open source (free) e-book management application called Calibre that, among many other functions, can convert your existing e-books into a compatible format for just about any brand of e-book reader. The application is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Check it out.

19 hours ago, Natasha said:

I do not care about any other wonderful features that I (techno-dino) will neither understand nor use.

Recommendations, suggestions, and negatives relative to various models  from actual users (and please tell me the model) highly appreciated. TIA

23 hours ago, MarkWebles said:

For any one considering jumping to a different brand of e-reader, there is an open source (free) e-book management application called Calibre that, among many other functions, can convert your existing e-books into a compatible format for just about any brand of e-book reader. The application is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Check it out.

I also use the free app Calibre to sort my ebooks and very easy to convert from  EPUB (Nook) to MOBI (Kindle) ..... or back. Very useful and free. I keep my ebooks on my computer and copy them right to my Kindle. Hopefully, you can find a nice used reader soon. I have used both Nook and the base Kindle until they eventually failed. (as they all will someday) I am VERY happy that I made a slight upgrade to the Kindle Paperwhite, which is only slightly more money, but offers a lighted background, which is much easier on my old eyes. I have been lucky to find them used on Ebay and such for very reasonable prices. My wife and I both use these with good luck and the battery lasts plenty long between charges. Good luck.

On 8/12/2019 at 8:51 PM, RickS said:

I recently bought the 'new' Kindle like below. Perfect size for me. One can surely read it in the sunlight. The 'lights' it talks about are not really visible but do make it so one can read in the dark also.... but I always prefer a little light in the room when I read. I've read a couple of books and haven't recharged it yet.

https://www.amazon.com/All-new-Kindle-now-with-a-built-in-front-light/dp/B07DLPWYB7

Pretty much decided on Kindle (used to it!!) but have a question.  On Amazon is says it does not come with a charger.  I HAVE the one for my old kindle.  Will that work or should I pay the extra for a new one.?

AND I DO assume it comes with the cord that connects from the Kindle to the charger??

By the way.... I talked on the phone to Amazon today and the lady helped me perform directly from the website (download books) that suddenly did not want to download with Wifi "on" and "check/sync" items.   HAPPY....... and can now take my time making final decision.

26 minutes ago, Natasha said:

Will that work or should I pay the extra for a new one.?

It sounds like you have figured out how to communicate with Amazon. That should probably be your first (and only) source of information on that question.  Good luck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Natasha said:

Pretty much decided on Kindle (used to it!!) but have a question.  On Amazon is says it does not come with a charger.  I HAVE the one for my old kindle.  Will that work or should I pay the extra for a new one.?

AND I DO assume it comes with the cord that connects from the Kindle to the charger??

By the way.... I talked on the phone to Amazon today and the lady helped me perform directly from the website (download books) that suddenly did not want to download with Wifi "on" and "check/sync" items.   HAPPY....... and can now take my time making final decision.

I would have to assume it comes with a micro USB (the end that plugs into the Kindle) to regular USB cable. You can charge your Kindle on a computer that way. OR you can go to Walmart, Steren, or just about any Oxxo or 7-11, and get a 5Watt USB charger (fastest). Some only go up to 2.1W, and take twice as long, but that's still only a couple of hours. Cheap, too.

• Like 1

I don't enjoy reading on my iPad because of 1) the glare of the screen, 2) the weight/size of the iPad and 3) the blue light that comes from those screens. I much prefer the 'ink-like' characteristics of the Kindle and Nook.   YMMV

• Like 1

E-Ink is best...

https://www.howtogeek.com/181577/e-ink-vs.-lcd-which-screen-is-best-for-reading/

What Type of Reading Do You Actually Want to Do?
It seems that E Ink readers absolutely smash the competition! Why would anyone get a tablet with an LCD screen when E Ink devices are cheaper and seem like much better devices for sitting down and reading books? Well, it’s probably because many people want to do more than read books.

Agree with the last two... a Kindle (or eBook reader) is a specialty device, designed to do one thing very well. So I have a tablet and a Kindle. And if you get your books from Amazon, they sync between the two devices automatically, so if you find yourself waiting somewhere with one or the other, you are still covered.

I have been thinking about this. I also have an older Kindle with a keyboard plus an Android tablet because I wanted to do stuff beyond just reading books. Something to consider: the older Kindle with keyboard changes pages with buttons on the side, is elegant and easy to use. The newer devices have to be swiped from side to side and take some getting used to. My fingers are just not as efficient at swiping altho I can do it. I can't read as fast because I waste time poking at the darn screen. 

So a suggestion. Buy a used 3G (refurbished if possible). It could give you a few more years or maybe more. That's what I plan to do if and when mine gives up the ghost.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=15&_pmc=true&isRefine=true&_productid=103128196&LH_ItemCondition=3000|4000|5000|6000&rt=nc&_fosrp=1

13 hours ago, Michael Gordon said:

I also use the free app Calibre to sort my ebooks and very easy to convert from  EPUB (Nook) to MOBI (Kindle) ..... or back. Very useful and free. I keep my ebooks on my computer and copy them right to my Kindle. Hopefully, you can find a nice used reader soon. I have used both Nook and the base Kindle until they eventually failed. (as they all will someday) I am VERY happy that I made a slight upgrade to the Kindle Paperwhite, which is only slightly more money, but offers a lighted background, which is much easier on my old eyes. I have been lucky to find them used on Ebay and such for very reasonable prices. My wife and I both use these with good luck and the battery lasts plenty long between charges. Good luck.

I also use Calibre to convert formats from epub, zip, rar, and any other non-Kindle format to mobi.  It takes about a second. 

Like Michael Gordon, I bought my used  (barely) Kindle Paperwhite on eBay about 7-8 years ago and have a gazillion (well, maybe 500) books stored on it.  Everything is also backed up in the Cloud. 

I keep mine on airplane mode and the battery charge lasts a couple of weeks.  I have read voraciously all my life and never wanted a Kindle, but my first one was a gift and I loved it after about five minutes getting used to it.  Best thing since the Internets.  Now you will have to wrest it from my cold dead hand.  

Speaking of books, last week I read the novel "On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous" by Ocean Vuong.  IMHO, it is the best book I have ever read.  Get it.

9 hours ago, MtnMama said:

....The newer devices have to be swiped from side to side and take some getting used to. My fingers are just not as efficient at swiping altho I can do it. I can't read as fast because I waste time poking at the darn screen. 

One does NOT have to swipe the newer Kindle. Simply touch either side of the screen to go forward or backwards. Easier than pushing a button. Quick and easy peasy. 

Much easier than pushing a button; especially since over time the buttons get gluey from the dust and sweat that eek into the indentation. Newer devices can be set to tap or swipe. And new devices have a completely smooth screen, no extruded frame, therefore easier to clean.

16 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I would have to assume it comes with a micro USB (the end that plugs into the Kindle) to regular USB cable. You can charge your Kindle on a computer that way. OR you can go to Walmart, Steren, or just about any Oxxo or 7-11, and get a 5Watt USB charger (fastest). Some only go up to 2.1W, and take twice as long, but that's still only a couple of hours. Cheap, too.

Mike, my old Kindle's charger says 4.9 VOLTS and is an Amazon original.  Would that work? (Assume yes but.......). My Android phone (Samsung Galaxy) is 5.3 VOLTS so assume not a good idea. 

Thanks to all for the lively conversation!  Screens (like my phone, anything that takes fingerprints, etc. ) do NOT accept my fingersso hope I can tap the new screen to turn pages!!

8 hours ago, MtnMama said:

I have been thinking about this. I also have an older Kindle with a keyboard

That's the one I have too, MtnMama, so adapting to a much newer model will be a challenge for me since I do NOT do any form of technology well. But since Amazon  by phone solved my immediate downloading problem am hoping the old one has a little life in it yet!