Chapala.com Webboard

Noise Meeting with Presidente

HarryB

Unfortunately I won't be in town but not sure what there is to meet about.  The new law is clear, other Jalisco governments aren't having trouble figuring it out or cracking down.  If you go please remind them the noise law is 24 hours per day, not starting only at 9 PM.  

In the end I suspect this is something else that will require going to the state government or filing denuncias to get action.

As always, thanks Harry for the heads up.

I am happy to say that after many years of too much noise in my area, things have improved.  Not perfect, but now bearable, thanks to neighborhood organization with Mexicans to lodge complaints, all a few years ago, that have basically stuck.  El Barco made changes in their place, the upstairs outdoor bar at Plaza Bugambilia was changed to a gym which was pretty noisy for a while, with the bar re-located just underneath it, karma, karma!!!  Then the bar closed after 2 years. The gym is now under new owners, and less noisy than before.   We are keeping our fingers crossed.  The kiddie evento place behind Plaza B. has been very complicit in the rules, no more noise!  Still happy parties where people can talk and you can hear the happy kids playing. 

The key is for the local neighbors to organize, and this includes the Mexicans which might require that you speak Spanish.  This noise issue is NOT a gringo issue, plenty of Mexicans also suffer from the noise but they don't know what to do about it.  You can see evidence of that on the FB page of cruzadacontraelruido (crusade against the noise) which has well over 35,000 likes.

https://www.facebook.com/CruzadaContraElRuido/

• Like 1

Enforcement is the tricky part.  There are so many newbies on this forum now, many do not have a perspective on this issue.  Mexico has term limits, so every three years the local governments change for better or worse.  The new administration in Chapala (and Jalisco?) has promised to enforce the new Jalisco noise laws which provide for stiff penalties for noise makers.   GDL has a huge noise problem and it's not gringos who are complaining.  Many people are suffering from too much loud noise!!

We are waiting to see how that turns out.  Around town, everyone (Mexicans) said that the last "presidente" encouraged a lot of loud events in order to charge hefty permit fees.  In other words, corruption.  The old corruption was that an inspector would show up to a noisy bar and "fine" them on the spot and leave and pocket the $$.  The last administration reworded that dynamic to call the new  "fee" an "extension" of the permit, so instead of noisy events being shut down, the perps would just pay the new "fee" to continue until 4 a.m.  According to locals.  Yes, I have heard this happen from my house.

• Sad 1

Glad to hear it was postponed.  I couldn't make it today.  I have always wanted to talk directly to the local powers about this situation.  Excellent that people from GDL will be there as well.  Again, I am very thankful that the noise problem has gotten under control in my area.  Goes to show you that taking action is necessary as well as productive.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

This is an old thread, but to answer. True the police can only ask to lower and as soon as they go back to blast. Only Reglamentos can do anything they are supposed to be 24/7 , but. Maybe the answer is to ask who will be on duty on the weekend and what is the phone number. Office #33 13 48 78 18