Chapala.com Webboard

Process to Replace Damaged CFE Bi-Directional Meter

After making reports to CFE about fluctuating voltage in part of the house, a couple of repairmen came out. When they pulled the meter we discovered that some of the contacts or what they call zapatas were loose and said that this was the cause of the problem. The electricians came and determined the entire 30 year old box needed to be replaced and pointed out an area around one of the points that was melted due to extreme heat. They said I should get a new meter.

Right now the meter is out of the wall jumpered provisionally to provide power until the electricians can come back and install the new box. It's a pretty big job. Do I take the meter into Chapala and show them the damage in the office, wait for the repairmen to return (they are going to replace #10 wire with #8 between the post and house) or make a new report? Perhaps one of the solar guys know better since they deal with switching out uni to bi-directional meters after new installs.

Make an official report @ the CFE office, get a copy, and post the copy or at least the service report # at the meter base / socket.    CFE will advise you on how to handle the existing meter, when you make the report.

Bring your most recent CFE bill, ID, and the photos with you to make the report.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Go Solar said:

Make an official report @ the CFE office, get a copy, and post the copy or at least the service report # at the meter base / socket.    CFE will advise you on how to handle the existing meter, when you make the report.

Bring your most recent CFE bill, ID, and the photos with you to make the report.....

That's what I was looking for. Thanks. I already have a report number due to the week long low/high voltage problem so hopefully they'll just add the meter and installing thicker cable onto it.

When I installed my solar system 8 years ago, the solar company did go to CFE and get a bi-directional meter. Things change over time.

Yep, there was about a 1 year time period when that was the case, and the meter had to be paid for as well as part of the process.....about $300 to $400 US at that time.

A 400 peso meter "deposit fee", as it is now, not bad!

It took about 5 minutes with a disinterested CFE employee to make the new report and get on the schedule for a replacement meter in about 10 days. No mention of fees associated with the swap so we'll have to wait and see what happens. I did bring the damaged meter with me so perhaps that sped up the process.

• 6 months later...

Update: No one from CFE ever came out with a replacement meter or thicker cable to replace the thinner grade. On a subsequent call for a lost phase in the house CFE said it was my problem but they did install the new #8 cable from the meter to the pole.

Since then I ran new cable from the main breaker to the laundry room and installed a new box with breakers to replace the mound of spaghetti wires protruding from the wall.

With everything new and re-checked the bi-directional meter is recording usage where there is none. Overnight the meter consistently registers 9 kWh incoming when nothing is running except for 1 refrigerator that uses 1 kWh (from a Kill-a-Watt reading). I can't account where the extra 8 kWh is going after several days of testing and re-checking all the internal wiring.

Everything now would point to the meter not recording the incoming electricity properly. Has anyone been successful making a report asking for CFE to come and check the meter for accuracy? If so was the report made at the office or by calling 071? Any ideas other than taking a hammer to the meter and requesting a new one?