Chapala.com Webboard

I was at the Animal shelter yesterday and my B of A Visa card did not work. Luckily I had a "citi" MasterCard with me and it did work. Strange.

Takes me back to the panic on New Years Eve 1999.  

19 minutes ago, More Liana said:

Takes me back to the panic on New Years Eve 1999.  

Actually, by the time Y2K arrived, all the years of planning, programming and testing made the transition a non-event although there were lots of people watching in bank data center computer rooms and countless more on call.

The overlooked event that really caused problems happened 2 months later. The year 2000 was not a leap year so February 28 was supposed to transition to March 1. That missing day caused quite a few problems which took months to resolve. The good news is that it won't happen again until the year 2400.

The current ATM problem seemed to be a communications failure in a company called PROSA which is a major switch for Latin America. A switch passes ATM and credit card transactions between financial institutions similar to companies like Allpoint, Star and NYCE. The companies Cirrus and PLUS transfer transactions between switches.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, vetteforron said:

Good reason to have a Mexican bank account. You can always go to the cashier.

A few years ago when the Scotia ATM was constantly having problems for about 3 months and then switching from a push pull to a grabber we opened an account with Intercam . No more problems and haven't used an ATM since. Their daily limit at the cashier is $20,000 pesos unless you tell your account exec the day before that you wish to take out more for a major purchase,etc. Some people like doctors will also accept cheques from them and have used the debit card to pay a hospital.

40 minutes ago, vetteforron said:

I can't understand why people who live in Mexico at least a significant portion of the year fail to have a Mexican bank account. You don't have to keep any significant amount of money in it if you don't have confidence in the banking system here, but it makes life so much easier on a day-to-day basis and when things like this occur.

• Like 5

I spoke with Mike Eager today at the NP and he mentioned the whole system was down on Sat and he could not process cc charges and only took cash

Saturday morning and again Saturday afternoon, neither Superlake (which I believe uses Multiva for processing cards) and Vinos Y Licores Paz (which I believe uses Santander for processing cards) could accept credit or debit cards. The 7-11 in Riberas del Pilar could (and did) accept and was able to process my Chase (US based) Debit card. (I did not need to try one of my Credit Cards.)

The situation did, however, bring to mind the article below from Mexico News Daily, and caused me to wonder about the practicality of such a proposal -- especially in the event of problems processing cards as was experienced by so many on Saturday.

Government considers prohibiting use of cash for gasoline, tolls

August 9 - The federal government is considering a ban on the use of cash to purchase gasoline and pay tolls as a means to fight tax evasion and money laundering.

Yes, that should be interesting. No cash allowed at the gas pumps or toll booths and their card processors not working. Can't wait.

FYI credit cards working this morning at SuperLakes and La Paz.  

Just think: When real sheeeeeet happens, nothing will work; No money, no fuel, no water, no groceries, no transportation, no communication, no heat, no air conditioning, ........nada.   Helplessness for most!  Panic will rein.  Mad Max time?

Minor inconveniences remind us of how dependent we are on technology, and how helpless we have become.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Just think: When real sheeeeeet happens, nothing will work; No money, no fuel, no water, no groceries, no transportation, no communication, no heat, no air conditioning, ........nada.   Helplessness for most!  Panic will rein.  Mad Max time?

Minor inconveniences remind us of how dependent we are on technology, and how helpless we have become.

Speak for yourself. I suggest that you not use  the designation WE when referring to something like this or quite frankly anything else that is your opinion as an individual.

One might agree; or some might not.  Some of us have certain skills, but no longer have the ability.  Of course, that, too, is debatable, but not the purpose of this thread, n'est ce pas?

On 8/11/2019 at 1:57 PM, vetteforron said:

On a Sunday??  System went down sometime Saturday and was restored by Monday early.  People ought to have a little cash on them to survive for a day or two 💰

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 11:55 AM, mudgirl said:

Yes, that should be interesting. No cash allowed at the gas pumps or toll booths and their card processors not working. Can't wait.

Plus digital ID coming the lines will grow on every outlet including ATM's.