Chapala.com Webboard

What Food Do You Most Miss At Lake Chapala?

rafterbr

21 minutes ago, Ferret said:

KFC was one of my cravings. One time, when visiting my mum around 2007, I gave into the craving and stopped at KFC. I bit into it, the grease ran down my chin, I heaved and threw the whole meal in the garbage. Never had it since.

Has anyone ever stopped to think how much healthier food is here? I'd pick chicken mole over KFC any day.

Twizzlers? No way. Artificial colour, artificial flavour etc. You're way better off without them. http://www.eatingrealfood.com/ingredients-in/strawberry-twizzler/

Twizzlers...I know they aren't good for me...physically, however they feed a part of my soul that brings me back to when I was a kid...happy times...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Duck confit at the Ajijic tianguis.  

I've had duck confit at a restaurant here but I  can't remember which one. Besides that several stores sell whole frozen  ducks including the world famous Brome Lake,Quebec duck.

One of the pics is confit a la Brome Lake.

brome lake ducks.jpg

Brome Confit.JPG

A big outdoor table in the shade, covered in newspapers, piled high with big, bright red mudbugs and corn and potatoes, some jalapenos, garlic butter....and oh, the joy of suckin' them heads!!!!

What if we could have ALL of these things at one huge died-and-gone-to-heaven food event!!!! Love to try some of that Canadian duck.....

2 minutes ago, camillenparadise said:

A big outdoor table in the shade, covered in newspapers, piled high with big, bright red mudbugs and corn and potatoes, some jalapenos, garlic butter....and oh, the joy of suckin' them heads!!!!

What if we could have ALL of these things at one huge died-and-gone-to-heaven food event!!!! Love to try some of that Canadian duck.....

I have bought it at Walmart and Soriana. They, Tony's and Puritan have carried Maple Leaf but from an ML  US plant. The Brome is superior.

21 minutes ago, Alpha1 said:

Twizzlers...I know they aren't good for me...physically, however they feed a part of my soul that brings me back to when I was a kid...happy times...

SuperLake has large bags of Twizzlers on their candy aisle. Often have both red and black, though sometimes just one or the other. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

A real dim sum with unlimited choices and no need to make reservations in advance because the China Town where I went had it 7 days a week

And good dim sum. Our local offering has more fried stuff than dim sum, and most is sub-par for the price. They get away with it because... that's all there is. No competition.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

And good dim sum. Our local offering has more fried stuff than dim sum, and most is sub-par for the price. They get away with it because... that's all there is. No competition.

This is only a fraction of what the real deal dim sum looks like and a lot of it is prepared by steaming. An Edmonton Alberta dim sum.

dim sum edmonton.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

I've had duck confit at a restaurant here but I  can't remember which one.

I have had it several times at Gossips as a special, not on regular menu.  They do a good job of it, nice crispy skin.   

At the Ajijic tianguis the duck confit is sold by Denis; he also sells pate's, rillettes, quiches.  He comes out from Guad.   Sometimes gone for part of the summer.  He has a French flag at his stand; he is on the east side of vendors, usually below where Calle Guadalupe Victoria cuts through.  

1 hour ago, Travis said:

I miss good Mexican food.

I miss the Oaxacan place that was on Constitucion several years ago. 

Would love to see a contemporary/fusion Mexican place...they are oh-so-popular in Oaxaca, CDMX and San Miguel.  For awhile the Hole in One with Eric was doing it.  Then at the OLD Hacienda del Lago, Erica was making some great contemporary Mexican dishes.  

Roberto/Bobby had promised contemporary Mexican fare but his dinner menu has devolved into US supper club fare from the 70s. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, camillenparadise said:

Camille sent you pm.

16 hours ago, Ferret said:

I guess I've been living in Mexico too long. Can't think of a thing that I miss. When I first arrived in Mexico, there were a LOT of things that I missed but the times they are a changin' and nearly everything that I missed is now available here. I am also willing to try new flavours and presentations. YMMV.

Couldn't agree more, there are so many kinds of food here to eat, I can´t imagine missing anything.

48 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

I remember missing celery.  Then, I eventually forgot about it.  Now, in the USA, I don't think I have had any yet, unless it was in a salad and went unnoticed.

Really? I have always been able to find celery wherever I've lived in Mexico. Apio ... one of my first Spanish words along with the rest of the vegetables. Shopping in the covered market in San Miguel was great fun and a learning experience.

8 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

I miss the Oaxacan place that was on Constitucion several years ago. 

Would love to see a contemporary/fusion Mexican place...they are oh-so-popular in Oaxaca, CDMX and San Miguel.  For awhile the Hole in One with Eric was doing it.  Then at the OLD Hacienda del Lago, Erica was making some great contemporary Mexican dishes.  

I'm not even that picky. I'd be happy with a place that serves a basic, simple, consistently good chile relleno. 

On 8/10/2019 at 12:33 PM, ComputerGuy said:

I'll meet you here: https://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_cooks/2014/06/restaurante-jing-teng-a-taste-of-hong-kong-in-mexico-city.html

Or at the other place I go, in the Zona Rosa (also CDMX).  We'll start with these biang biang spicy noodles.

Spicy Noodles 1.jpg