Chapala.com Webboard

What Food Do You Most Miss At Lake Chapala?

rafterbr

To get the ball rolling I will say two.  Southern fried chicken and English/Irish pub quality fish and chips.  I don't mean it cannot be found here.  What I mean is it cannot be found in the quality one would desire.

• Like 2

When in the mood for one, I miss Manhattan's Kosher delis serving piled-high pastami on rye sandwiches. But I really, really miss those plain, no-frills restaurants in Chinatown specializing in Hunan or Szchuan cuisine and the Chinese places in my neighborhood that would deliver that food pronto.

Lexy

• Like 2

I miss going to Bruno's and back when, he was actually sometimes doing the cooking but always actually overseeing everything. His Beisbol filet was always beyond good and then came the baked potato, perfect as a Mexican baked potato can be, and the side salad that used to be included. Plus Bruno himself stopping at every table to check that all was well. The Good Old Days.

Edit:  And the days before everything was covered so when it rained Bruno herded everyone in the back and you got to sit with folks you never would have otherwise.

• Like 1

Then I should add that I shop at Costco for food etc. up north and very occasionally down here. 

I miss the fact that my Costco food products are so much farther away down here, unless I want to pay a large markup at Superlake.

And also I enjoy eating at the Costco hot food stand where you can order prepared food products and eat at the tables in front of the food stand.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I guess I've been living in Mexico too long. Can't think of a thing that I miss. When I first arrived in Mexico, there were a LOT of things that I missed but the times they are a changin' and nearly everything that I missed is now available here. I am also willing to try new flavours and presentations. YMMV.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Ferret said:

I guess I've been living in Mexico too long. Can't think of a thing that I miss. When I first arrived in Mexico, there were a LOT of things that I missed but the times they are a changin' and nearly everything that I missed is now available here. I am also willing to try new flavours and presentations. YMMV.

I agree, Ferret. At this point I am unable to think of anything I “miss.”  How lucky for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

KFC was one of my cravings. One time, when visiting my mum around 2007, I gave into the craving and stopped at KFC. I bit into it, the grease ran down my chin, I heaved and threw the whole meal in the garbage. Never had it since.

Has anyone ever stopped to think how much healthier food is here? I'd pick chicken mole over KFC any day.

Twizzlers? No way. Artificial colour, artificial flavour etc. You're way better off without them. http://www.eatingrealfood.com/ingredients-in/strawberry-twizzler/

• Like 1