Chapala.com Webboard

stainless steel straws

cafemediterraneo

At Wednesdays tienguis I found a young woman in front of Scallions restaurant selling straws.  She had velvet bags with 2 straws, one straight and one bent and a small bottle brush to clean them for 120p. I bought one package....she won't be there next week as she goes back to school in Chapala,but I got her contact info in case someone else is interested---on Facebook: shop.terrasana.mx and instagram: terrasana.mx

• Confused 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/9/2019 at 4:25 PM, CHILLIN said:

I don't bring this up to alarm you. Two weeks ago a woman was killed when she fell, and the stainless straw went through her eye, and nine inchs into her brain. Yikes! I guess you have to be real careful with children using them.

You do not use steel straws in restaurants or anywhere there is children present.  Even though you may instruct staff to never give a child a steel straw it still happens.  It is not worth risking a childs eye for this.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 4:25 PM, CHILLIN said:

I don't bring this up to alarm you. Two weeks ago a woman was killed when she fell, and the stainless straw went through her eye, and nine inchs into her brain. Yikes! I guess you have to be real careful with children using them.

Was she walking along texting on her cell phone, sipping her Starbucks frapuchino, not looking where she was going? If we aren't going to use something because someone, somewhere had an accident when using or carrying it, everything will be banned or avoided. She could just as easily have fallen on her pen and had it go through her eye.

• Like 2

I don't bring this up to alarm you: On Sunday at the P'urhépecha artesenia show on the Ajijic plaza, I slipped on a banana peel and stabbed myself through the back with the very alabrije I had planned on buying. I decided right then and there: "No more bananas with my lunch..."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I am certainly aware of the straw debate....plastic versus paper versus metal.  But I really don't get it...I think the last time I used a straw was when I was 7 years old. 

Yes, there are people with medical conditions who require a straw, but most adults (and children) are capable of sipping a beverage without the aid of a straw.  

• Like 6

I don’t bring this up to alarm anyone but WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE someday of something, some CODs being more probable than others. I am putting “Falling with metal straw in hand and angled just right to go through eye with enough force to pierce nine inches into brain in the exact right path to cause instant death” on my list of possible ways to die. It will be just below “Eaten by ravenous wolverines” but above “Zombie Apocalypse.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, Xena said:

I don’t bring this up to alarm anyone but WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE someday of something, some CODs being more probable than others. I am putting “Falling with metal straw in hand and angled just right to go through eye with enough force to pierce nine inches into brain in the exact right path to cause instant death” on my list of possible ways to die. It will be just below “Eaten by ravenous wolverines” but above “Zombie Apocalypse.”

Threat  is to children not adults.  If you have ever seen children playing with straws in restaurants, sword fighting, etc. or babies suddenly nodding their heads, you can see the dangers.  Starbucks has issued a recall of all steel straws because of injuries to children.  All the stainless steel straw manufacturers I know have issued warnings, they are to be used by adults only.

5 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

Threat  is to children not adults.  If you have ever seen children playing with straws in restaurants, sword fighting, etc. or babies suddenly nodding their heads, you can see the dangers.  Starbucks has issued a recall of all steel straws because of injuries to children.  All the stainless steel straw manufacturers I know have issued warnings, they are to be used by adults only.

Children should not be play fighting with straws in restaurants. Babies should not be left to fall asleep while holding a straw. Babies should not even have straws. This all was once Basic Parenting 101, but now must be legislated.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1