Chapala.com Webboard

Marmox board or cement board?

Is an excellent material to make a quick roof.  Comes in 4' x 8' sheets.  Referred to as CemPanel and is available in 6,8,10 or 12 mm. thicknesses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I built an entire small shop building out of cement board. Wood framed. In a back corner of my yard- didn't want a construction crew slinging cement all over my gardens, nor piles of sand and blocks. No muss, no fuss. Taped and plastered the outside and you can't even tell it's not built of block from the outside. Didn't use it for the roof, though. It's incredibly heavy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

I built an entire small shop building out of cement board. Wood framed. In a back corner of my yard- didn't want a construction crew slinging cement all over my gardens, nor piles of sand and blocks. No muss, no fuss. Taped and plastered the outside and you can't even tell it's not built of block from the outside. Didn't use it for the roof, though. It's incredibly heavy.

Where did you buy it?

If you need to cut it, you can use a handheld "Skilsaw",'but it needs an abrasive cement cutting blade, or a diamond blade. Noisy and dangerous. Wear googles, or even better full face protection, and at least a dust mask. The dust is micro-silica. Don't allow a worker to bluff/bully their way through these precautions. Lock up the saw, and when it is time to use it, supervise and nag.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Thanks! Do you know where I can buy it?  

At just about any of the materials yards you just ask and if they haven't got it on site they bring it in.  Or a better way might be to ask a small business person who has access to that type of product but ordinarily doesn't stock it.  I would talk with Elvis at the wood lumber shop on the lateral west of 5th de Feb just across from Waffle house.  The lateral is south of the CArreterra and you get on it at Fonda restaurant heading west Elvis is down almost to the end.  Open garage door with wood stacked inside. He brings in product from his family store in Joco.  Runs this shop.  Could probably get it cut for you.  

It is important to patronize the small businesses or they are going to go away fairly fast.  

• Like 2

On 8/8/2019 at 2:15 PM, chapalence said:

Where did you buy it?

On 8/8/2019 at 2:21 PM, Ferret said:

Mudgirl lives in Sayulita.

Home Depot sells it as well as an oufit called Prevasa, which also sells drywall and all the fittings, tape, etc. I think Prevasa is a chain, not just in PV area. BTW, they call cement board Durock here. Or at least that's the brand I bought. And it was less expensive at Prevasa than Home Depot. In fact, Home Depot's about the most expensive place to buy anything in Mexico. 

• Like 1

https://www.construactivo.com/tabla-cemento/3992-panel-de-cemento-12-durock.html

Address and contact info for the above is at the bottom of the link.

You can also find more if you google and search for "durock + Guadalajara"

Or you can go to any ferreteria locally and ask for Panel de Cemento marca Durock.

Suerte!

I don't think Marmox is available here... at least, Mexico is not a country listed on their website (top right hand corner of opening page on website)

http://marmoxboard.com/boards/

If I was still doing mosaic, I would be putting it on a glass background. You can use clear silicone to place the pieces and then grout them. Can still look unfinished on the sides though. A photo frame with the glass mounted on the back, will give you a nice looking piece that can be used as a small tray or hung on a wall.

No, CemPanel is a different product than Duroc.  It is quite a bit lighter and easier to work with for cutting, etc.  I just did a roof of 20+ sheets with it to replace an old and leaky tile roof.  I purchased mine from, Constru Muros which is in Guadalajara at the SW corner of Gonzalez Gallo and Rio Reforma - address is 2594 Gonzalez Gallo.  For a roof application I would recommend the 10 mm. or 12 mm. sheeting depending on the spacing between supporting purlins.

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2019 at 9:36 AM, solajijic said:

At just about any of the materials yards you just ask and if they haven't got it on site they bring it in.  Or a better way might be to ask a small business person who has access to that type of product but ordinarily doesn't stock it.  I would talk with Elvis at the wood lumber shop on the lateral west of 5th de Feb just across from Waffle house.  The lateral is south of the CArreterra and you get on it at Fonda restaurant heading west Elvis is down almost to the end.  Open garage door with wood stacked inside. He brings in product from his family store in Joco.  Runs this shop.  Could probably get it cut for you.  

It is important to patronize the small businesses or they are going to go away fairly fast.  

Thanks so much!! Great advice! 

On 8/9/2019 at 11:52 PM, Ferret said:

I don't think Marmox is available here... at least, Mexico is not a country listed on their website (top right hand corner of opening page on website)

http://marmoxboard.com/boards/

If I was still doing mosaic, I would be putting it on a glass background. You can use clear silicone to place the pieces and then grout them. Can still look unfinished on the sides though. A photo frame with the glass mounted on the back, will give you a nice looking piece that can be used as a small tray or hung on a wall.

I do glass on glass mosaics as well, but I need a different substrate for a heavy outdoor project. 😁