Chapala.com Webboard

Cost of electronics

Prices are much better NOB, especially online. And quality selection is poor here, compared to what you are probably used to.

As a computer repair person, I have to tell you: there is no comparison between a computer and a tablet. Only one is a computer.

There is not only the price point to consider. All Windows based laptops in Mexico have a Spanish keyboard and, if you are used to an English keyboard, it will drive you nuts.

AND AUGUST is THE month to buy a laptop NOB!!!! HUGE Back to School sales happening now!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ferret said:

There is not only the price point to consider. All Windows based laptops in Mexico have a Spanish keyboard and, if you are used to an English keyboard, it will drive you nuts.

And don't forget that most Windows computers sold in Mexico have Windows "Single Language" installed which means you can't switch to English without buying a new Windows license.

• Thanks 1

You may purchase a new iPad, or other Apple products, from Hall Microcomputers, Guadalajara, with service to Lake Chapala, as one of their technical managers has a home there, and they do scheduled visits every two weeks.  They have a website, and English is spoken.  Making the purchase in Mexico can provide an English keyboard and a warranty valid in Mexico.  I bought an iMac from them, delivered and set up in my Chapala home.

6 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

You may purchase a new iPad, or other Apple products, from Hall Microcomputers, Guadalajara, with service to Lake Chapala, as one of their technical managers has a home there, and they do scheduled visits every two weeks.  They have a website, and English is spoken.  Making the purchase in Mexico can provide an English keyboard and a warranty valid in Mexico.  I bought an iMac from them, delivered and set up in my Chapala home.

How do their prices compare with the US? 

On August 7, 2019 at 6:15 PM, ComputerGuy said:

As a computer repair person, I have to tell you: there is no comparison between a computer and a tablet. Only one is a computer.

As a person who spent 40 years in the computer industry, I agree. Tablets are better than phones and easier to transport than laptops. That's why I use both.

9 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

And don't forget that most Windows computers sold in Mexico have Windows "Single Language" installed which means you can't switch to English without buying a new Windows license.

If you buy from Best Buy in Guad you can get it in English, not sure what they do but they don't charge for it...

13 hours ago, MNJames said:

As a person who spent 40 years in the computer industry, I agree. Tablets are better than phones and easier to transport than laptops. That's why I use both.

This is where I pipe in and advise the Linux Mint mini 2. An amazing piece of equipment, no moving parts, five year warranty, completely quiet, size of an external hard drive so very portable, easy to learn, super stable. Still $299 I believe. You can then buy any monitor you want, up to 1080, any keyboard you like.

17 hours ago, MNJames said:

How do their prices compare with the US? 

When I bought the iMac 21" computer from Hall, the price was just a bit less than in the USA. So, I think they are very competitive and aware of the exchange rate, etc.  Of course, in Mexico, the tax is included. In the USA, the tax is extra.  The added bonus was the in-home set-up by Hugo, and the Mexican warranty & availability of local service, if ever needed. The best news is that I have never needed service on an Apple product, nor warranty replacement either.  Now, my wife has that iMac, and I have an even larger 27" iMac for my failing eyes.

23 hours ago, MNJames said:

Why/how do you find tablets easier to transport than laptops?

1 hour ago, cedros said:

Why/how do you find tablets easier to transport than laptops?

The answer for me is..... size/weight. An iPad/tablet folds up to almost nothing even with a keyboard. A laptop, if anything other than a 13" screen, is larger, heavier and much thicker. I pretty much have to have a separate carrying case when I travel with my Toshiba laptop considering both the laptop and the monster of a transformer/power supply. My iPad takes up NO room to speak of.

Having said all that, I am also of the school that an iPad is NOT a computer and one just can't do some things/run some programs with an iPad. Good for surfing 'tho. Apple is coming out in September with iPadOS for iPads instead of continuing to use the iPhone iOS. It will introduce some things that will make an iPad more computer-like but still won't be 'there'... and never will be IMO.

Thanks RickS. A friend has been telling me that her iPad is better than my laptop for similar reasons. When I travel I need my Laptop to check my bank accounts and emails. I guess I could do the same on an IPad. Now what to do.