Chapala.com Webboard

Tingting

I wanted a couple of bags of popcorn for my air popper and searched high and low in the snack section of Wally's World. Nada. Only by chance (and needing a few more items) did I think to search in...the bean section. Yup, nestled amongst the frijoles of various shapes and varieties were the popcorn "beans." Love it!

• Haha 1

Yes, sort of like finding the tajin in the hot sauce section. I have found that the Great Value brand, when they have it, is better than the other two brands they carry. I usually get friends to bring me down large jars of Orville Radoodahday; much better when I can. I use a Whirley Pop most of the time, and have a jug of butter-flavoured popcorn oil and containers of yellow popcorn salt, all from Amazon. For oil, I also use coconut oil for that "movie theatre" experience. Welcome, popcorn lovers.

• Like 1

Ah purists. Love 'em. I just use the bagged variety plain for the microwave.

However, MANY Mexican families ALL love popcorn but not all have the equipment or a microwave. I wrote a letter to Jiffy Pop in the U.S. about 15 years ago and suggested that the old fashioned jiffy pop (remember shaking the foil plate over a burner until the foil on top expanded?) would sell in Mexico to everyone, even those who only had one burner or cooked over a campfire. Heard nothing back and have never found it here. I don't even know if it's still available?

22 minutes ago, Ferret said:

However, MANY Mexican families ALL love popcorn but not all have the equipment or a microwave. I wrote a letter to Jiffy Pop in the U.S. about 15 years ago and suggested that the old fashioned jiffy pop (remember shaking the foil plate over a burner until the foil on top expanded?) would sell in Mexico to everyone, even those who only had one burner or cooked over a campfire. Heard nothing back and have never found it here. I don't even know if it's still available?

Google knows everything:

https://www.jiffypoppopcorn.com/

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ferret said:

Oh, if only I could....but, sadly, I'm trying hard to be healthy. If I had my "druthers," I'd load about a stick of butter over a small bowlful and go hide in a corner with "my precious."

Jiffy Pop missed a MAJOR opportunity here!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yikes! Jiffy Pop has gotten very expensive over the years. Out of reach of most Mexican families...

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=jiffy+pop+popcorn&crid=PWI0QRTHZPWE&sprefix=Jiffy+pop+popcorn%2Caps%2C197&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_17

https://listado.mercadolibre.com.mx/jiffy-pop#D[A:Jiffy pop]

I guess I'm getting old because I remember it being less than a buck each. Sigh.

If these folk are "purists" I must be downright primitive. I still pop my corn in the same 3 quart Revereware pan that I used as a child. The pan has to be at least 70 years old and still cookin'. I thought about getting one of those poppers with the crank in the handle but I figured the learning curve would be too steep.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Well, that's just the way I did it for the first 40 years. But then I got a Whirley Pop. I put all the corn in as soon as the coconut oil has melted, or if liquid oil, at the same time. It all heats up at the same time to the right temperature, and there are no dead ones. So, go with whatcha got, right?

You probably can't find in Mexico but there is a small black popcorn kernel which is very tasty.  The seeds are smaller and when popped the kernels are smaller and it has a different taste of regular popcorn.  There is also a blue kernel popcorn the native Americans use but the black is the best.  I usually buy the kernels but have found it in microwavable bags.  Next year I may try to plant some of the seeds as it is more expensive than regular popcorn.

If you are going to eat the corn it is referred to as having kernels if you are going to plant it is called seeds as in seedcorn.  I once had a favorite pan for popping as well.  I never washed it just wiped it out.  It was seasoned and I never had to worry about burning the popcorn as long as I was diligent.  Unfortunately mu son decided to pop some corn and forgot he had started it.  There went my pan of many years.  On the farm if we were out of popcorn we would pop some regular field corn.  It would somewhat pop and was better than nothing.

2 hours ago, camillenparadise said:

Oh rafterbr, SOOOO sorry for the death of your pan!!!! I have  half a dozen of my beloved granny's cast iron skillets I wouldn't take love nor money for!

Who manufactured your cast iron skillets? Nothing comes close to a well seasoned cast iron skillet.... 

5 hours ago, camillenparadise said:

Oh rafterbr, SOOOO sorry for the death of your pan!!!! I have  half a dozen of my beloved granny's cast iron skillets I wouldn't take love nor money for!

Glad you still have your seasoned skillets.  I know they are great for cooking.  I have a set of Griswold skillets but like other older people I've gone to lighter cookware.  Big Mistake!

I used to love TVTime popcorn: you know, a bag split with kernels, salt, and oil. Some companies still make that kind of thing (see Amazon). I bought a case last year: oil good, salt good, but the kernels SO old and dry they were not worth popping. Now I am using the oil and salt from each package and substituting my own corn. Just ran out of imported Orville Radiddlydoo and am using Great Value; can't tell the difference.

11 hours ago, rafterbr said:

Glad you still have your seasoned skillets.  I know they are great for cooking.  I have a set of Griswold skillets but like other older people I've gone to lighter cookware.  Big Mistake!

rafterbr....Do you still have your Griswold skillets? Are they for sale?