Chapala.com Webboard

Dish Network Scam?

Jubob

Has anyone else received a paper from Dish network saying they want equipment back or there will be a 7200 pesos fine levied? I'm watching my across the street neighbor's house while they are gone and their gardener brought the sheet. It has another person's name on it other than theirs and the number to call is for Roberto Zepeda, but the number doesn't work. They have never used Dish and when they asked if they wanted the dish back many years ago, they said no. I'm wondering i this is a scam to get access to the property.  The sheet also says they must pay a saldo of $502 pesos. May just be a mistake, but looks fishy to me.  

There was a guy in my area (not lakeside) who was going around with a book of paint samples. He obviously had been tracking home owners' movements and appeared at my friend's house when she and her husband were out, only the maid there. He came to the door, told the my friend had asked him to come by and check out colors for her rooms and could he come in. The maid was savvy and told him the dueña hadn't mentioned it, so she'd have to call her first, at which point he said he'd just come back another time. 

Always be wary if something seems off. Trust your intuition- it usually proves to be right.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tingting said:

And don't forget that if it's a US dish, then they probably bought it outright. Smells fishy to me...

Slightly off topic but someone may find it interesting.  About 15 years ago I worked for an ISP that partnered with a guy that provided cable TV to student housing using satellite dish service. Essentially a dish is connected to a splitter then to a hundred or so receivers (one for each channel provided) then connected to a combiner and sent out to the apartments. I have decommisioned a few sites and had to fill up dumpsters with receivers no one wanted. They were all in working condition but I couldn't find a single person who wanted them, completely free. I can't imagine why a company would want your receiver back. It's amazing how often those things break. I would guess it's an 85% chance of it being a scam.