Chapala.com Webboard

Legal name change

RickV

I have a dual citizenship.  When I became a US citizen over 30 years ago, I changed my first name.  My US passport is now different than my Mexican passport.  I know I have to go to Mexico (live in NYC) to legally change my name.  Does anyone know how long it will take?  I was born in Monterrey.  Thank you.

As far as I know you have no real reason to change your name on your Mexican birth certificate therefore you can't. You can go to the American Embassy or an American Consulate in Mexico with a letter explaining you go by 2 names and have them verify your name in the USA by providing documentation and they will notorize the letter adding a letter that you have an alias [AKA - Also Know As] which will be the name on your Mexican birth certificate and Mexican passport. This is all you need. Remember when in the US use your US passport and legal name and when in Mexico use the Mexican passport and that name.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

As far as I know you have no real reason to change your name on your Mexican birth certificate therefore you can't. You can go to the American Embassy or an American Consulate in Mexico with a letter explaining you go by 2 names and have them verify your name in the USA by providing documentation and they will notorize the letter adding a letter that you have an alias [AKA - Also Know As] which will be the name on your Mexican birth certificate and Mexican passport. This is all you need. Remember when in the US use your US passport and legal name and when in Mexico use the Mexican passport and that name.

Exactly what my wife does. When we are in Mexico, she uses her "Mexican name" and all the Mexican I.D.s, etc., and in the US, she uses her newer married name and has become a US citizen using that name. Never a problem. Good luck.

What about when I travel by air.  I know I  have to use US passport when I leave and enter US, what about when I enter and leave Mexico, Mexican passport does not match airline ticket.  I've been using US passport with no problems because I don't stay beyond six months. 

16 hours ago, RickV said:

What about when I travel by air.  I know I  have to use US passport when I leave and enter US, what about when I enter and leave Mexico, Mexican passport does not match airline ticket.  I've been using US passport with no problems because I don't stay beyond six months. 

Since when has immigration wanted to see an airline ticket when entering Mexico if you have a Mexican pasaporte?

I buy airline tickets in Mexico, using a Mexican passport no., and when I arrive in Ireland, I show them my Irish passport, no further questions.  Same on return, Irish out, Mexican in.

Easy peasy

I legally changed my name when I was a teenager and have lived in the US for most of my life.  I am now 60.  Therefore, I will have to change name on SS, naturalization certificate, passport, banks, credit cards, etc.  I heard it's possible to change name in Mexico in the county of birth.  I just thought maybe someone on the board would have some information on the process.

As far as I remember you cannot change your name in Mexico just correct it. It should be the same as your Birth Certificate. The only difference that might occur is in Mexico they use both last names. In my opinion you changed your name in the US not in Mexico. I would maybe have a copy of your name change from the US in case some authority in Mexico questions you. If I remember right there is a small court type document you can get where the court recognizes that you are known by two names. Very interesting problem.

Rickv I changed my name in usa, a local judge  in the usa gave me a list of agencies to notify, so that everything would match.  My passport had a page attached showing my new name.  Social security had 2 files and they combined them.  Then everything matched.  Pm me for more if you would like

Thank you Daisy.  I know the process in the US.  I'm looking for the process in Mexico.  I've been in the US for most of my life, would prefer to legally change my name in Mexico.  I heard that it's possible, that once the judge approves, a new birth certificate is issued with new name.

Before I explore the process in Mexico, I will just carry my Mexican birth certificate and my Mexican voters card, just in case Mexican officials and airline give me a hard time.  I don't think US immigration would care since my US Passport and airline ticket will have the same name.

• Like 1

When I changed my name in the usa that was not by country of birth.  I had lived there many year under a name not on my birth certificate and not on my USA passport   I finally strengthened it out.  Guess only you can decide which name you want to keep and contact authorities to have thus done.  Go directly to Guadalajara and get an answer

Ihave a name in the US ,a name in France and a name in Mexico , you do not need to change anything. In Mexico I used my Mexican passport and in France my French passport. On my bank card from the US I signed my married name on the other cards my maiden name.. I had a notario in Mexico draw a paper  listing all the names I use and certifying that  they all represent me.. and that is t..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2019 at 10:35 AM, RickV said:

Thank you for your responses.  Daisy, that would be Monterrey for me since that is my place of birth.

bmh, that is great advice, you think I  can to any Notario in Mexico?

My wife was listed as " Maria del Rosario" on many agencies in Mexico. She got a Notary to draw a paper and list maybe 8 different names she had been called by those different agencies and it said that they were all "Maria Rosario". We took that paper (time consuming) to each agency and they changed her name on their forms, and combined some, as they sometimes had 3 accounts for her with different names. Cost was 500 pesos for 3 official papers. She has a different name on her US passport than her Mexican passport, but never a problem in the US or Mexico.

• Like 1

You only should show one passport as a time and then they will not see they are two names.. Mexcans get Mexican passport, the us gets us passport  and end of subject.. I have debit cards with my US name and  in Mexco when I pay wth my US card and ask for a factura with my Mexcan name I never have had a problem.. I just did that at the hospital last week , no one asks questions, just do not pont it out to ayone, let them ask you the question and then give a logical simple answer and no one blinks..

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bmh said:

You only should show one passport as a time and then they will not see they are two names.. Mexcans get Mexican passport, the us gets us passport  and end of subject.. I have debit cards with my US name and  in Mexco when I pay wth my US card and ask for a factura with my Mexcan name I never have had a problem.. I just did that at the hospital last week , no one asks questions, just do not pont it out to ayone, let them ask you the question and then give a logical simple answer and no one blinks..

Agreed. NEVER (in Mexico, or anywhere else) offer any more info to officials than is absolutely necessary, as they often become confused and you will wind up regretting that you didn't give a quick and simple response to any question they ask you.Let them ask, don't volunteer !

• Like 2