Chapala.com Webboard

Require help in drilling out and removal of a broken bolt in the back of a chair.

Alpha1

I used to have an easy out, depends if I can find and what size you need

It requires a bolt extractor, often used by mechanics to remove broken head bolts. A small hole is drilled, and the threaded extractor pulls it out. It usually requires a drill press. Another way is a type of welder which zaps/burns out the bolt, then the hole is rethreaded and a larger bolt found. I would check with the Young brothers mechanic and machine shop, they are always up to a challenge.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alpha1 said:

I got enough motivation by the above to try again with a new drill bit and a LOT of muscle. The sucker came out at the drill bit end... 🙏. Thank you all for the help. Now to look for a replacement bolt and a few nuts... Titanium this time... 

There is a fastener place that has just about everything on the  Libramiento same side as and near one of those schools.

3 hours ago, happyjillin said:

It's no big challenge and you can do it with a cordless drill if you get a broken screw/bolt extractor kit like this. Every home should have one. Try Amazon.

broken screw extractor kit.jpg

Hopefully I will never have a need for one in the future. This is what I wanted initially...forturnely the drill worked...

Thank you.