Chapala.com Webboard

Public access

A talented young man I know, a born local, requires regular dialysis. I am not suggesting public funding him, but rather making available a public, or very low cost treatment machine. I don't know a lot about the technology, but the new, portable machines could travel, with a public nurse, to the small colonias around Lakeside where kidney problems abound. Is there such a system in place? I know this is part of AMLO's "dream", long term at this stage.

The new San Antonio private hospital has a machine, and they charge 1,500 pesos per session. Private clinics in Guadalajara typically charge 800 to 900 pesos. So an at least 3 hr bus ride, then 3 to 5 hour session. This would be the same at public hospitals in Guadalajara but the treatment would be free. There does anybody know of an alternative for dialysis Lakeside, especially for the people who can least afford it (often drinking from contaminated well water).

I never knew that with dialysis and treatment of kidney disease (diet, medication, etc.) that kidneys can often recover. I also read, that a full year of dialysis is $75,000 in the U.S.

Also, this development https://www.georgeinstitute.org/media-releases/worlds-first-low-cost-dialysis-unveiled

A young man I know from a very poor family has a mother who needs daily dialysis and she was loaned a portable machine to keep at home for her daily treatments by Seguro Popular. She got it from the hospital in Tlajamulco, where she goes for regular checkups but at least has the machine at home. Does your young man have Seguro Popular coverage?  If not its time to sign up. Its not great coverage so many locals don't want to sign up for it, but its better than nothing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gimpychimp said:

A young man I know from a very poor family has a mother who needs daily dialysis and she was loaned a portable machine to keep at home for her daily treatments by Seguro Popular. She got it from the hospital in Tlajamulco, where she goes for regular checkups but at least has the machine at home. Does your young man have Seguro Popular coverage?  If not its time to sign up. Its not great coverage so many locals don't want to sign up for it, but its better than nothing.

That is encouraging. Do you mean Tlajamulco de Zuniga? He is self employed and very busy. Maybe he thinks he cannot afford to take the time off, so he pays private. Sounds familiar when I was young. We have not had this discussion, it is not really my business. Seguro insurance is very much targetted towards uninsured self employed people. The services offered in Guadalajara are extensive, but not so much Lakeside, other than Jocotepec hospital.