Chapala.com Webboard

Local Fabric Store?

Do we still have any fabric stores at Lakeside? I know about the one near Chapala Bus Station (not impressed) but I'm not aware of any others. There was a Telas Parisina in Joco but that's years ago now; I don't suppose it's still there? Maybe I have to trek to the city but really don't want to...

2 hours ago, kgreenbury said:

Do we still have any fabric stores at Lakeside? I know about the one near Chapala Bus Station (not impressed) but I'm not aware of any others. There was a Telas Parisina in Joco but that's years ago now; I don't suppose it's still there? Maybe I have to trek to the city but really don't want to...

If you want good fabric you'll need to go to Guad. Grab another person wanting to go, take a bus and then a cab or Uber from the station. Shopping and then lunch or vise versa. Easy peasy and little stress.

Your best bet is to go to Guadalajara. But it's not necessary to go to the fabric district. There is a Parisina store in a shopping center that's located on the right before you get to the Lazaro Cardenas turnoff. Stay on the right side of road as you go up the hill, just after the road crests the hill and starts back down there is an exit. Take it and the first right . The shopping center is there. Can't miss it.

57 minutes ago, dcstroker said:

Your best bet is to go to Guadalajara. But it's not necessary to go to the fabric district. There is a Parisina store in a shopping center that's located on the right before you get to the Lazaro Cardenas turnoff. Stay on the right side of road as you go up the hill, just after the road crests the hill and starts back down there is an exit. Take it and the first right . The shopping center is there. Can't miss it.

Plaza del Sol

http://www.plazadelsol.com/tienda.php?tienda=Santa+Monica+Textil&t=237

There is a fabric store, upholstery, two doors west of Poncho's new location in Riberas.  Their selection is stellar, on a par with the US.  The staff is knowledgeable and helpful. Their work  is considered exceptional.  I'll let you know more when I get  my sofa and chair back.  Go and check out this store.

2 hours ago, RIlady said:

There is a fabric store, upholstery, two doors west of Poncho's new location in Riberas.  Their selection is stellar, on a par with the US.  The staff is knowledgeable and helpful. Their work  is considered exceptional.  I'll let you know more when I get  my sofa and chair back.  Go and check out this store.

Pancho not poncho

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RIlady said:

The OP is looking for a fabric store, not an upholsterer that carries upholstery material.

The closest fabric store other than the one in Chapala is the fabric warebouse Textiles Capilla.  This is on the highway to Guadalajara right after the La Barca highway.  Watch for the Pepsi plant on the right and the warehouse is immediately following on the road that exits to the right.  Real hit and miss as to what they have.

In my opinion, the best fabric store in Guadalajara is Centro Mercantil Villanueva on Pedro Buzeta street in Santa Teresita.  Large selection of all kinds of nice quality fabrics at reasonable prices.  Also has notions section and some yarn.  Even carries Burda patterns.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, dcstroker said:

The right turn is actually right behind the Hotel One that is at that exit.

• 4 weeks later...

There is a fabric store in Santa Teresita that is all cotton.  Yes, every fabric in the store (small) is 100% cotton. Beautiful little store. Muchas mantas y mucho mas.

Comercializadora Textil (sign is very hard to see), Joaquin Angula No. 1460.  Tel: 333-826-2302.  Couple of blocks from Centro Mercantil Villanueva.

I was there today.

Also, Centro Mercantil  Villanueva has reorganized the store and most of the natural fabrics are now on the first floor, but not all.

Also, Textiles Capilla has almost nothing but acrylic knits as of yesterday.  Besides the ever-present dark blue thin denim.  Otherwise, I don`t there was a single cotton fabric.  The linens have dwindled to a few.  No thick plastic fabric.  No rayons.  

I am up for a trip to Sta Teresita if anyone wants to go. I take the bus from Chapala, then a cab or UBER if you have the app to the fabric district. Shop until you drop and then come home the same way.

You can also go to Centro in GDL, walk the Plaza Tapatio and enjoy a full day of shopping there. I usually reserve that for the "winter" as it can get really hot with all that concrete.