Chapala.com Webboard

Soriana is up to it again (informational post)

Soriana had a very good price on whole chicken breasts, so I bought three packages, only to get home and open them to find backs, and a large amount of fat under the breast.

Soriana did this a couple of years ago and got called on it on a board. They probably figure consumers memories are short.

1 hour ago, Eric Blair said:

Soriana had a very good price on whole chicken breasts, so I bought three packages, only to get home and open them to find backs, and a large amount of fat under the breast.

Soriana did this a couple of years ago and got called on it on a board. They probably figure consumers memories are short.

So you got a bit of back and a tiny bit of fat on WHAT was labeled WHOLE chicken breasts. Sounds like a reasonable portion cut to me, done by the highly skilled and friendly butchers in that department. Who called it on a board a couple of years ago,in any event? Whereas, you will note I  like to use legalise when I see an unsubstantiated statement like this latest from you. It is noted that you have exhibited a certain pattern in this regard.

It was not a "tiny" bit of fat, but a lot of it. And the back is 90% bone. All of this just adds to the weight and makes people think they are getting more breast than they really are. That's why the low price, but I think you know that.

This is the first time in my many years of buying this product that I have seen this, but I did read a post a couple of years ago about this and how the buyer was unhappy and tried to get the " highly skilled, friendly butcher" to reweigh the breast w/o the added fat, skin and back. the butcher wouldn't do it.

I just wanted to alert people so they can decide if this is what they want to pay. The evidence is the seriously lower price than usual.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

43 minutes ago, Eric Blair said:

It was not a "tiny" bit of fat, but a lot of it. And the back is 90% bone. All of this just adds to the weight and makes people think they are getting more breast than they really are. That's why the low price, but I think you know that.

This is the first time in my many years of buying this product that I have seen this, but I did read a post a couple of years ago about this and how the buyer was unhappy and tried to get the " highly skilled, friendly butcher" to reweigh the breast w/o the added fat, skin and back. the butcher wouldn't do it.

I just wanted to alert people so they can decide if this is what they want to pay. The evidence is the seriously lower price than usual.

Thanks for the alert

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, cedros said:

Thanks for the alert

Alert for what ? I hope you're joking. He never said it was skinless,the fat would have been under that and a little bit of back attached[fowl bones are hollow] .He got those portion cuts for what he considers a low price and got exactly what he paid for. A chicken back is not 90% bone either.

40 minutes ago, oregontochapala said:

If you want decent chicken, pork, or beef, at a fair price buy it from any of the butchers  at the Mercado in Chapala. I prefer La Chapalence in the back corner where Eddie and Marta have never disappointed me.

Fully agree with oregontochapala.

SunFan

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

Alert for what ? I hope you're joking. He never said it was skinless,the fat would have been under that and a little bit of back attached[fowl bones are hollow] .He got those portion cuts for what he considers a low price and got exactly what he paid for. A chicken back is not 90% bone either.

The difference is that the labeling is the same as always for the breasts. Why not label it showing "Skin, fat and back included?"

And what you can see is skinless.

2 hours ago, oregontochapala said:

If you want decent chicken, pork, or beef, at a fair price buy it from any of the butchers  at the Mercado in Chapala. I prefer La Chapalence in the back corner where Eddie and Marta have never disappointed me.

Great suggestion, but it appears the OP is so bent on making a point he isn't listening. I wonder how long it will be before he's complaining AGAIN about the meat at Walmart or Soriana.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Eric Blair said:

The difference is that the labeling is the same as always for the breasts. Why not label it showing "Skin, fat and back included?"

You need something written when  your eyes can clearly inform your brain cells as to what's in the package? I highly suspect that only a bit of breast was showing skinless. I buy chicken  and parts thereof at Soriana and Walmart and rarely have a problem. sometimes it's beyond it's before date is all. I am pleased that Soriana has started stocking smaller chickens so that we don't have a lot of left overs but we know what to do wit those too. I call BS on your alleged problem. We never buy skinless because the flavour is in the skin and layer of fat under it.

....or the rain in the summertime. Supposed to be the world's (second) best climate, doesn't it!?! 

I had him on 'ignore' for a while but it's hard to do when you are wondering what insane question/comment he must have asked/made to get 17 replies in one day!

At best it is entertaining and at worst you just have to wonder what planet he came from. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I have been buying chicken for 50 years. “Chicken breasts” have always included the bone and skin. When “boneless, skinless” chicken breasts became available they were labeled so (and had a much higher cost per pound). If the packaging does not say “boneless, skinless” I assume it has both — especially if it has an extremely low price. 

• Like 1

You people that would trash me if I said the sun will come up in the morning are not worth my time.

If I can help someone, I will do it in PM.

I believe it is helping someone to tell them there is another way of looking at things, that they are unnecessarily creating worry and aggravation for themselves. It is also helping other people reading posts to know there may be other ways to look at the same issues, ways that will save them from similar worry and/or aggravation. 

• Like 2