Chapala.com Webboard

Telmex offering faster internet in Ajijic

I live in upper Ajijic close to the Ajijic Telmex office. (Per Telmex, 1070 meters from their office). I got a message from Telmex today on my cellphone , posting that they could offer me faster internet if I came to the office. So, I immediately went to the office and learned that I could get up to (hasta) 30 MGB/sec for $499 per month. I jumped at the opportunity. They said that those living closer to the office could get up to 50 MGB/sec.

I jumped at the opportunity and was told that in 48 hours, my speed would be bumped up to 30 MGB/sec from my now 10 to 12 MGB/sec. I will report to you what happens two days from now.  Here's hoping :) 

On 7/31/2019 at 5:00 PM, johanson said:

I live in upper Ajijic close to the Ajijic Telmex office. (Per Telmex, 1070 meters from their office). I got a message from Telmex today on my cellphone , posting that they could offer me faster internet if I came to the office. So, I immediately went to the office and learned that I could get up to (hasta) 30 MGB/sec for $499 per month. I jumped at the opportunity. They said that those living closer to the office could get up to 50 MGB/sec.

I jumped at the opportunity and was told that in 48 hours, my speed would be bumped up to 30 MGB/sec from my now 10 to 12 MGB/sec. I will report to you what happens two days from now.  Here's hoping :) 

Nice download but what is the upload?

I will let you know as soon as they upgrade my settings. They already did a partial upgrade to what I was already paying for to 19.195 down by 0.766 up. (I was paying $435 per month) and they said I would be upgraded 48 hours after I made the upgrade which will be Friday afternoon if I am lucky.

My new monthly fee will be $499 pesos and I am promised Hasta or up to 30 megabits download, but no mention of upload was made.

I must have given them my cell phone number. I really do not know. I have had the same cell phone number for maybe 10 years.

All I know is that I got my Telmex number in 1997 and my cell phone number within 6 months of the time cell phones were introduced lakeside.

• 2 weeks later...

No additional news and although I should be getting close to 85% of the settings for my download speed of 19.195 all I got was 12.87 MB/sec down just now which isn't bad, but I would like a little faster.

(Oh, the speed shown below was wired not WiFi between my modem and computer.

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/4a020977-29d5-4e96-8beb-aef6f0a23f05

They told me same thing, I was promised 20 out of 40+ getting 2, they have the nerve to keep advertising when their speeds stink.  It is shameful

slow net.jpg

I'm not surprised, when I started my business in 1997 a year later Telmex came in and many flocked to the cheaper rates and as I was told better service, obviously they have the bigger market share now so people have to put up with it. This is just Telmex, it has been pretty much the same company since I have lived here, they start off with a bang and then things gradually go downhill.

I just recently ended my 22 year old E3 contract with Uninet and needed a residential Internet option I first subscribed to Telmex (it was my only option) and was getting 10megs down and almost 1 meg up, once the rainy season started I'm down to 5 megs down and 400Kbps up. Even though it's slow it's still reliable.

I just recently subscribed to a new local company Unet Telecom in Jocotepec.  I took to the lowest package which is 10/10Mbps  up and down and so far I have been very happy.

If reliability continues over the next few months I will bump it up to the 20Meg package.

I'm sure Telmex will upgrade eventually in certain areas (if they see it as being cost effective) but there are many other options available now.

Those who need reliability should really consider having two ISP's (if available).

• Like 1

• 4 months later...