Chapala.com Webboard

U.S Consulate Changes re: Passport and notary services

An article in the Conecciones magazine said the U.S. Consulate is making their services easier for lakeside residents.  They still do not accept personal checks or cash or credit cards, but a move has been made to ease the process of getting cashier checks.  Peso denomination cashier checks at the rate set monthly by the American Embassy in Mex City will now accept cashier checks from Banamex, Bancomer, HSBC, Banorte, Santander and ScotiaBank

It also says (which I don't quite get) U.S. dollar cashier checks based on the listed dollar fees can be purchased at Bancomer, Banamex, Santander, Intercam, Order Express, USPS or any U.S. bank within 90 days of presentation  You can check the current peso rate at Lake Chapala Society front desk, American Legion or Chapala.com web board under the customs and Immigration section.  The information is generally posted the Friday before their second Wednesday visit each month to the lake.

The Conecciones magazine is available at many business locations at lakeside. The article is on page 5 of  agosto edition.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update from today's passport renewal experience.

a) I got my check on Monday at the current exchange rate and was turned down by the Consulate because my check was 20 pesos too much and not today's exchange rate.

b) Went to two of the banks listed (HSBC and the one on Ajijic plaza) and was turned away because I did not have an account with them and was told I would have to open an account for them to make the check.

Just a heads up.

Yet whenever I suggest people take a bus and taxi to the Consulate in Guad to avoid this exact problem, you would think I was suggesting a trip to Jupiter.

The unacceptable check cost, what? $200? And now, a second check will cost another $200.

Yes, for some people these Consulate visits work out well, but for many they are an expensive and frustrating learning experience.

Until this "glitch" in their system is smoothed out, go to Guad where you can pay in USD via cash or card.

15 hours ago, SoxFan said:

Just an update from today's passport renewal experience.

a) I got my check on Monday at the current exchange rate and was turned down by the Consulate because my check was 20 pesos too much and not today's exchange rate.

b) Went to two of the banks listed (HSBC and the one on Ajijic plaza) and was turned away because I did not have an account with them and was told I would have to open an account for them to make the check.

Just a heads up.

As far as the amount goes, every month they always publish the how much it is for that month.

Maybe this will help.  I looked under Immigration and Customs topic but could not find where this months (week) exchange rate was for passport checks.

Assistance:

U.S. Consulate General, Guadalajara

Within Mexico:  334-624-2102

From the United States:  1-844-528-6611

ACSGDL@state.gov

The article I started above also said if you want the peso fees for the month your paperwork is presented to the consulate, send an email to pifernr@gmail.com who is the consulate volunteer representative at lakeside. 

31 minutes ago, sm1mex said:

Maybe this will help.  I looked under Immigration and Customs topic but could not find where this months (week) exchange rate was for passport checks.

Assistance:

U.S. Consulate General, Guadalajara

Within Mexico:  334-624-2102

From the United States:  1-844-528-6611

ACSGDL@state.gov

The article I started above also said if you want the peso fees for the month your paperwork is presented to the consulate, send an email to pifernr@gmail.com who is the consulate volunteer representative at lakeside. 

I'm just going to call them the day before. Heaven forbid I overpay 20 pesos next time. Thanks for this.

Let me see if I can clear up all the inaccurate info posted for this subject.  Primary and of greatest importance DO NOT GET THE NUMBERS FROM THE US EMBASSY IN MEXICO OR THE CONSULATE WEBSITE IN GUADALAJARA.  Lakeside is a unique situation. Usually  the Friday before the second Wednesday visit the numbers are posted at the American Legion, Lake Chapala Society and on this web board under customs and immigration under title of US Consulate fees for that month. The fees for peso checks may change from month to month (Sox Fan, that is why I take the month’s figures down after they have completed that month’s visit). Until two months ago only Banamex cashier checks were accepted. The decision to accept peso or dollar cashier checks at lakeside was made to actually make it easier, especially if you have a local Mexican bank that is on the list to get a check.

Instead of writing a whole book, let me just say that the past two months non account holders have successfully been able to get checks from Intercam, Banamex and Bancomer for a fee.

My email address is posted in the latest Sox Fan posting. If you want the fees, when available via email, then email me and request same. I’ll not be monitoring this posting, so email if you have a question or want to be on next month’s distribution list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PNR1 said:

Let me see if I can clear up all the inaccurate info posted for this subject.  Primary and of greatest importance DO NOT GET THE NUMBERS FROM THE US EMBASSY IN MEXICO OR THE CONSULATE WEBSITE IN GUADALAJARA.  Lakeside is a unique situation. Usually  the Friday before the second Wednesday visit the numbers are posted at the American Legion, Lake Chapala Society and on this web board under customs and immigration under title of US Consulate fees for that month. The fees for peso checks may change from month to month (Sox Fan, that is why I take the month’s figures down after they have completed that month’s visit). Until two months ago only Banamex cashier checks were accepted. The decision to accept peso or dollar cashier checks at lakeside was made to actually make it easier, especially if you have a local Mexican bank that is on the list to get a check.

Instead of writing a whole book, let me just say that the past two months non account holders have successfully been able to get checks from Intercam, Banamex and Bancomer for a fee.

My email address is posted in the latest Sox Fan posting. If you want the fees, when available via email, then email me and request same. I’ll not be monitoring this posting, so email if you have a question or want to be on next month’s distribution list.

Will do and thank you!

• 1 month later...