Chapala.com Webboard

Dr. Don?

Dr. Don died. He was found dead in his yard by the gardener. First impression was he had been dead for possibly two days.

His (ex-?) wife came to the house and removed some things and put some in front to be picked up by trash collectors.

The above is from a neighbor I spoke with yesterday.

I was told his (ex-?) wife is having two memorial services, one in Chapala for friends and one in Guadalajara for family.

Most  of this is hearsay. The only thing I actually saw was the belongings at the street and the gate padlocked.

Edited by Eric Blair
Changed "today" to "yesterday."

RIP Dr. Don, you were the first dentist we ever saw at lakeside and the only one until we moved. My wife has incredible long life genes, most of her family has lived into their 90's and 100's. She also has bad dental genes and a childhood dentist who believed in pulling every tooth that had a cavity. I would bet she spends more time daily on oral care than most people do in a week but still she's had constant problems. Dr Don was the first dentist who ever recognized this and made her feel that she was not some lowlife and worked with her over the years to fix what was fixable and she was very comfortable going to him. I was likewise happy with his treatment of me.  Thank you for everything you did for us both.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Today there are probably 50+ dentist is this are.  I am sure not many remember when Dr Don was the dentist for this area. There were  many people who thought he was the best other thought opposite.  He was a good man will be missed.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RickS said:

Unfortunately we all did not have as much success with Dr. Don as you(se) did. But that does not mean that he didn't help others and seemingly was a good man. 

I never used him so I can´t weigh in on his ability in any way, except to say that, through conversations with others,  he had admirers and detractors.

I saw Dr. Don on my first trip here for one week. That was 15-years ago. I went to him because I read rave reviews. His price was good and he made me feel comfortable. I only had a week which wasn't really enough time for what I needed, so I said I would catch him on my next trip. He said he could have the lab work done for me overnight and he did and deliver the crown in 2 days. No extra charge for the overnight.

Really good "bedside manner."

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RickS said:

"My" Dr. Don was in the Clinica Maskaras (area anyway) up in front of where Mom's Restaurant used to be....

Rick, Mom´s used to be down the steps through the short hall way, 4 or 5 doors west of the clinic entrance.  She was never in that NW corner of the clinic occupied by Dr. Don which he rented separately after his disinvolvement with Maskaras Clinic.

There were 2 farmacias and 2 labs between the clinic and Mom´s original location.  Farmacia Maskaras is, and always has been, a totally separate business from Maskaras Clinic. They just agreed to use the same name.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RickS said:

Slainte, you are right of course.... it was just a memory from about 2001. An old man should never rely on memory unless it was about songs or cars from one's teenage years!

R

...Or the girls in those cars, eh?

I never used Doctor Don but a few months  ago in the line up at HSBC we started chatting. He introduced himself as Dr. Don the dentist.  I thought If I didn't already have a dentist I would try him as he seemed like a very nice man who needed customers.