Chapala.com Webboard

HUGE Telmex internet speed increase in SAT

As reported here by others here there has been Telmex Infinitum problems throughout the area. Late last week week I was having major problems...not being able to reach some sites but having email and other strange things and finally no internet at all. I called Telmex and finally a tech guy showed up in Tuesday morning. He checked everything and changed the modem three times and nothing. After  other tests he told me that the problem was with my computer but left a new modem. I called my tech guy and he came and took my tower PC apart, cleaned everything and then announced that my internet card was FRIED. He sent me to Steren for a NANO ADAPTADOR USB WI-FI (470 pesos) and Bingo! All seemed to be working extremely well and i decided to do a speed test and to my astonishment after checking and rechecking many speed test sites I was averaging 30m down and 10 up! For many years now I was lucky to get 4 or 5 download speed. I have been signed up forever with Ilox and my suspicious mind tells me that maybe Telmex has a mole there telling them when someone is about to get hooked up. There were some workers on my street just a short time ago (I was told ILox) laying cable and in an email response from them in response to my inquiry just a week ago as to my installation date they responded; maybe 2 weeks. Too much coincidence for me! Now I have a delema that you might imagine. 

• Like 1

I am a complete novice in computer tech. I did these tests yesterday in the daytime. Doing them again now in the evening (Prime Time TV) I am getting half or less in the download speeds. I am assuming that this has to do with the usage. I have signed up for the 50m download with Ilox...does this mean that will go down during the evening Prime Time? I recently signed up to the TV streaming site MY  WiFi (7000 channels) to get out of my expensive and less than adequate Dish disaster. I am getting a lot of buffering with this especially in the evenings. I was hoping that when Ilox is installed this will be cleared up. When I got the improved speed from Telmex I thought this would eliminate it but sitting here now in the evening (Prime Time TV) I see no improvement. Very frustrating!. Any comments? Gracias

Telmex arrived to our gated area yesterday carrying new modems. They said Telmex has installed new phone lines inSan Antonio and are ready to upgrade everyone in San Antonio to 10 megabytes free. You need to call them to tell them you have poor internet reception. I called Telmex Mexico City yesterday. He got my megabytes up from 3 to 7. Then said he was referring me to local service to get me to 10.   WHAT"S HAPPENING!  San Antonio has had many problems... Ilox knows it and they are coming... SO Telmex has improved their services!  I kept saying hold on... Telmex will up their services.  COMPETITION!   

I, too, live in SAT.  I saw what was happening with Telmex and decided to cancel my iLox subscription (not yet installed).  Easy peasy - no questions, they just cancelled my order and told me my refund would be credited to my charge account in about 2 months.  Just sayin.......

When I went into Telmex on Monday, the woman said not all telephone numbers in SAT were upgraded. She checked my number and I was good. She put in the request to upgrade me. She said that sometimes it happens automatically and in other cases, they have to upgrade you manually.

She did say that all SAT numbers weren't good for the upgrade. It depends on the server. She gave herself as an example. She lives a few blocks for me and can't get the upgrade. So good luck and don't be too fast to cancel iLox.

1 hour ago, Sea said:

When I went into Telmex on Monday, the woman said not all telephone numbers in SAT were upgraded. She checked my number and I was good. She put in the request to upgrade me. She said that sometimes it happens automatically and in other cases, they have to upgrade you manually.

She did say that all SAT numbers weren't good for the upgrade. It depends on the server. She gave herself as an example. She lives a few blocks for me and can't get the upgrade. So good luck and don't be too fast to cancel iLox.

What part of SAT would that be?

I would love to learn if Telmex has upgraded the general area of upper Las Salvias in Ajijic.

I am paying $435 pesos per month and am getting 12.4 down by 0.58 up which is about as good as I have ever gotten. Maybe if I pay $599 per month I can get the 50 megabit down package. I guess it's time to visit Telmex and ask and hopefully sign up

Oh, I almost forgot to post that when I entered my modem, just now, I got these settings

Ancho de banda (ascendente/descendente) [kbps/kbps]:

which aint bad.

766 / 14.396

When they do, you will hear!

Lower San Antonio got the speed upgrade, for sure. Lower Chula Vista was upgraded about three weeks ago. Bottom tier plan moved up to 10Mbps download. At that price plan, you can get up to 20 included in the cost. So they got a partial upgrade. Same with SAT.

My euphoria for the high Telmex speeds I am now getting in lower SAT has diminished substantially. Just checked speedtest.net and am getting almost 30 download. However I am currently viewing a SD cable network program through MYWIFI TV and getting tremendous buffering. Called Juan, the tech guy there and he tells me that speed means nothing regarding TV streaming since the quality depends on routers, how many people are on the system and other technical elements that are way above my understanding.  I thought that this was too good to be true especially since my internet is still coming through a telephone line, not a fiber optic cable. He tells me that when Ilox comes that it will be a completely different story. Can't wait to ditch Telmex...hurry Ilox!

Having installed hundreds of my free tv streaming service your juan is correct in saying its not just local speed that comes into play as regards buffering. However nothing changes with having ilox, and in some cases has made things worse even after the ip change. There are a few things you can try at home to reduce buffering, clear caches, forget network then reconnect, even try using a different hdmi input on your tv, but the modem reset is normally  a good idea.

A Solution ad 5-4.jpg

30 minutes ago, barcelonaman said:

Having installed hundreds of my free tv streaming service your juan is correct in saying its not just local speed that comes into play as regards buffering. However nothing changes with having ilox, and in some cases has made things worse even after the ip change. There are a few things you can try at home to reduce buffering, clear caches, forget network then reconnect, even try using a different hdmi input on your tv, but the modem reset is normally  a good idea.

A Solution ad 5-4.jpg

I have just tried resetting the modem by unplugging the AC for 30 seconds, but no improvement. Also are you saying the when I get the 50m download speed with fiber optic cable that I have signed up for with Ilox, this will be no better than the 30 I am now getting with the Telmex telephone line internet? Please say it aint so! by the way what do you mean when you say "forget network then reconnect"

Do a full reset. Using a pin into reset hole in modem for thirty seconds .

If that doesn't help, try totally disconnecting all cables for 5mins. Then reconnect.

In your settings on your box, there should a network option, hit that and should give you forget network option. Then reconnect.

How far away is your modem from your device?

Yes, the 50 will probably be no improvement.

Barcelona is mostly spot on, but disconnecting cables is not necessary. Often, restarting the computer after doing a modem reset is necessary, since most people don't have the tools to otherwise clean out settings that a restart will do on its own.

I would add for others trying this, you hold the pin in for however long it takes for the lights to all start flashing on the modem. There are instances where this does not happen, and most often that means the modem cannot be reset, and a new one is called for. Resetting a modem also reinstalls the default WiFi password, if it had been changed.

Anything over 10 is kind of wasted in terms of viewing Internet pages, however, for downloading files, is much better. The streaming services set their own "caps" on how fast they will let you get your shows, so moving from 30 to 50 may in fact show no improvement. But anything over 10 is almost perfect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johanson said:

I would love to learn if Telmex has upgraded the general area of upper Las Salvias in Ajijic.

I am paying $435 pesos per month and am getting 12.4 down by 0.58 up which is about as good as I have ever gotten. Maybe if I pay $599 per month I can get the 50 megabit down package. I guess it's time to visit Telmex and ask and hopefully sign up

Oh, I almost forgot to post that when I entered my modem, just now, I got these settings

Ancho de banda (ascendente/descendente) [kbps/kbps]:

which aint bad.

766 / 14.396

It has improved quite a bit for us in lower Las Salvias. Telmex right now via wifi is 30 down and 10 up- we pay 389 pesos and have usually had 8 down and under 1 up. We also have Ilox and are keeping both since I work online. Telmex went out the other day for all day, and Ilox has gone out twice since we had it installed- so at least we can jump off of one service and use another. 

I am in lower SAT on La Paz corner Jesus Garcia, and I posted about 10 days ago that our speeds have increased substantially. Most of the time I am getting 10 down, and 3 or 4 up.  Sometimes I will get 20ish down and 8 or 9 up.  I have the same old  modem, no change. It is more than sufficient for me and I have only noticed stuttering and buffering when I am using a VPN and a few live news broadcasts here and there. Small miracles for which I am grateful. 

• 6 months later...

For the first time I was able to stream the Superbowl smoothly with very good resolution and no stuttering or flickering.  I was measuring 12 down at that time.  This is definitely an improvement over the previous 4-5 and I enjoyed watching KC put together an amazing rally and win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Odette Galaviz said:

Hi Im looking into moving to lower SAT its in between La Paz and the next street from Independencia I just dont remember the name, but I work using the internet so I need a stable connection, and would love to know more about how its working there before I actually rent, id appreciate your help so much

I am in SAT on Jesus Garcia south of La Paz. Telmex was very spotty with very low downloads especially in the evenings. I had signed up with ILox when they first opened their Ajijic office and was finally hooked up about 6 months ago. What a difference! now a steady 80 - 90 download. Just a tip...stay with Telmex phone only service since the ILox phone service is malo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Odette Galaviz said:

Hi Im looking into moving to lower SAT its in between La Paz and the next street from Independencia I just dont remember the name, but I work using the internet so I need a stable connection, and would love to know more about how its working there before I actually rent, id appreciate your help so much

You're going to have trouble figuring out the speed from Telmex in that area. I had 3 mbps for ages and got bumped to 20 tops. The clerk at Telmex said she lived a few blocks from me, presumably was on the same server and couldn't get the increase. Also she couldn't get an explanation that satisfied her on why. Based on people posting on this forum, I know what some other people are still stuck at 3mbps. (Which is unstable on weekends and evenings when people are streaming. I used to call it hiccuping disconnects)

Start by taking the exact address where you plan to move to Telmex and see if they can give you information.

• Like 1

You were responding to a thread started by me in July of last year...light years in the current internet situation here now in SAT. I am fairly confident based on your stated location that ILox is wired there and it should be easy and quick to hook you up. I have the highest speed package at $599 a month and have been at 80- 90 constantly with at this point NO downtime. Again, stay with Telmex phone and you will also have them ready to upgrade to internet if for some unseen reason ILox flames out. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...