Chapala.com Webboard

Ismat's new restaurant

nolajoe

2 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

If you haven't yet tasted a huarache, they are always delicious at cenaduria Elba in Chapala.  It may be the only place you can get them in the area.  Delicious!  However, they are not practical for canoe trips, and cannot be ordered before 7PM.

I have had a huarache at the Mexican food place in the Centro Laguna food court. I had lengue/tounge as the topping. Hard to find these days. She has an ancient wooden huarache press. They also offer a great "taco bowl" which isn't really Mexican at all. Probably the best outside the Trump international hotel in D.C. favored by the President on cinco de mayo day. They open early, to start preparing ingredients, but they really are not open until 11:00 a.m. I don't know about nights, I am not allowed to go out at night and spend the whole darkness locked and chained. Aroooo! The beast in me, a Nick Lowe song, performed by Johnny Cash.

I've had his chicken tenders several times now and they are delicious!  Also, really enjoyed the sweet potato fries during my last visit.

I'm a fan.  :)

Val Jones

On 11/21/2019 at 3:47 PM, CHILLIN said:

I have had a huarache at the Mexican food place in the Centro Laguna food court. I had lengue/tounge as the topping. Hard to find these days. She has an ancient wooden huarache press. They also offer a great "taco bowl" which isn't really Mexican at all. Probably the best outside the Trump international hotel in D.C. favored by the President on cinco de mayo day. They open early, to start preparing ingredients, but they really are not open until 11:00 a.m. I don't know about nights, I am not allowed to go out at night and spend the whole darkness locked and chained. Aroooo! The beast in me, a Nick Lowe song, performed by Johnny Cash.

DEFINITION "HUARACHE"    Footwear, usually coarse, consisting of a leather sole or rubber that is attached to the foot by leather strips or other material.
Immigrant peasants were traveling inside the truck with huaraches and hats and dirt in their pants.   

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Carnivore said:

DEFINITION "HUARACHE"    Footwear, usually coarse, consisting of a leather sole or rubber that is attached to the foot by leather strips or other material.
Immigrant peasants were traveling inside the truck with huaraches and hats and dirt in their pants.   

Huarache (food)

The huarache is a typical Mexican dish, whose form simulates the sandals that the indigenous people use as footwear. It is made with corn dough and is often stuffed with beans. It is common to be served with steak, rib or crashed egg and accompanied with sauces and cheese.

Go to navigationGo to search
Huarache (food)
Huarache nopal.jpg
Full name Huarache
Birthplace Mexican flag Mexico City
Ingredients corn , bean
Distribution Central area of Mexico City

250px-Huarachesverdes.JPG

Preparation of the typical huaraches.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Carnivore said:

One should learn how to use google correctly if that is your only source of info.

I know two restaurants in Mexico City that ONLY serve huaraches, and both are always jammed.  Lots of times when I take tourists for a market tour, we stop at one of the restaurants for breakfast.  The huarache is a wonderful thing.  Here's a link to El Huarache Azteca, one of the two restaurants:  http://www.elhuaracheazteca.com/

• 2 weeks later...

If Ismat's chicken is better than Bobby's, which I have not yet had, then Bobby's must be awful.

It's now been more than long enough for this chicken place to get on its feet. I stopped by today. I got thighs, because they just stay juicy no matter what you do to them. I thought. While the chicken was not horrendously overdone like my first time months ago, it was still overdone, to the point where there was no juice left. Overcooking dark meat poultry takes a certain skill. The breading is basically tasteless. Without adding salt, not really worth it. And the BBQ sauce I got must be Heinz, which is fine, but not for restaurants.

Oh, well.

EDIT: Just realized my other thigh is actually a leg. How could they get two orders wrong like that? I shoulda learned my lesson the first time and double-checked my to-go bag.

• 7 months later...