Chapala.com Webboard

Ismat's new restaurant

nolajoe

I saw a sign that said Ismat's Fried Chicken and Burgers this afternoon. It is located on Revolution around the corner from Scallions, where Taqueria Los Fabian used to be. I saw some people working there, but I did not stop to ask questions. Looking forward to trying it when they open.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just had some of the chicken this week. They have it down. Added bone-in breasts in addition to the tenders, legs and thighs. Sides really good too, gravy is delicious, as is the cole slaw, mash potatoes and mac n' cheese. 

It is true that one prefers what one grew up with. The nostalgia factor plays no small part. I hated meatloaf as a kid, but it has since become an ever-lovin' meal of comfort. And Kraft Dinner (Americans call it mac' n cheese) is one of those things. I'll continue to use my box, while adding chopped up grilled all-beef wieners to the mix.

That being said, locally anyway, no amount of cheese is going to elevate the dish beyond... well... mac 'n cheese with a lot of cheese.

One item of note: I had a grilled cheese at the Brew Pub the other day, and it was absolutely delicious. I am curious as to where they sourced the orange cheddar. I think the meal, with a big bowl of soup, was 85, which I guess is not bad these days. Anyway, talk about yer comfort food...

The only time that I used Kraft dinner was on my canoe trips along with freeze dried meals for lightness. Even then my tump line tripper bag weighed about 80 pounds and the canoe weighed 40 .carried both together across portages and supplemented with the trout and small mouth bass I caught plus berries and wild mushrooms.

26 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

The only time that I used Kraft dinner was on my canoe trips along with freeze dried meals for lightness. Even then my tump line tripper bag weighed about 80 pounds and the canoe weighed 40 .carried both together across portages and supplemented with the trout and small mouth bass I caught plus berries and wild mushrooms.

Ah yes, the legend of the wild boor.

2 hours ago, happyjillin said:

I read a novel this year by Peter Heller called The River, in which he details a trip he took with a bud through the mountains in a canoe, and was nearly overcome by a giant wildfire. Fascinating look at paddling, portaging and planning... stuff I used to do a long, long time ago.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I read a novel this year by Peter Heller called The River, in which he details a trip he took with a bud through the mountains in a canoe, and was nearly overcome by a giant wildfire. Fascinating look at paddling, portaging and planning... stuff I used to do a long, long time ago.

Did you do Algonquin Park?

Sadly, no. Ottawa River and tributaries. Various lakes in southern Ontario. That kind of thing. Easy whitewater rafting, too. Learned how to canoe as a kid at Y camps. Spent years trying to find someone who could steer a war canoe or even a two seater; never did.

My second canoe I had custom made by Langford in Dwight. 12 footer with built in carrying yolk and really thin cedar strips and thin canvass because I wanted light as possible. Great topical maps for the park showing all the portages. I did my last loner trip there for 6 days with my 10 foot canoe from Eatons made by the Cree north of Montreal. Canoes and I are as one,steering is easy,it starts in the wrist, whether the canoe is 10 or 20 feet. It's fun to use the canoe as a sail for speed and virtually no effort. Whoops methinks we have high jacked this from the original topic.

If you haven't yet tasted a huarache, they are always delicious at cenaduria Elba in Chapala.  It may be the only place you can get them in the area.  Delicious!  However, they are not practical for canoe trips, and cannot be ordered before 7PM.