Chapala.com Webboard

Cautionary note--large increase in medical costs here

17 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Ohhhhh.....so your talking Russian and Chinese tax laws.  Nice try.  And you said they bought properties here to offset taxable income which was LEGAL then, but ILLEGAL now.  Do tell?

Easy. Never legal but U.S. has had a hard time in the past enforcing foreign asset exposure. Swiss banks, offshore havens, poor property records. Now enforcement is easier in a digital age, and why international "currencies" such as bitcoin, with major corporate backing such as Facebook, scare the heck out of government. The properties sold at a loss to avoid Mexican capital gains, but how does IRS respond to someone who reveals they have had substantial foreign assets kept secret for over 30 years?

19 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Good for you, I'm proud of you, I suspect owning a home has "had no charm for you" for quite some time,  whether in Canada or Mexico.

Actually because of my recent, verifiable, background as a restoration mason, one of only three companies/individuals approved in British Columbia and Ms. Chillin's college degree on this subject, and over 40 years experience as a facilities manager, we were easily able to get caretaker type positions in B.C. with low, or drastically reduced rent. I was tempted to apply for similar positions for haciendas on Lake Nicaragua, from a fellow movie worker, but I am glad now we avoided it.

We have been using our Blue Cross Blue Shield with Lakeside Med for years. They handle getting a rejection from Medicare and then forwarding and applying to BC/BS which can take up to a year. We pay a 100 peso copay.

• Like 1

Sounds like a scam.  Driving to 3 hospitals?  Any medical profesional would know which ones to call and unfortunately many are taken advantage of for rush issues.  Prepare ahead of time or be a victim.  There are many affordable hospitals but more crooked doctors who prey on the elderly and foreigners.  

• Like 6

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 1:51 PM, ezpz said:

Well, it sounds like IMSS (which I have but never use) and SP are going downhill.  The same can be said for Medicare up north in case you didn't know.  I'm glad I chose NOT to buy a house but rather, have the contingency fund for medical issues - and a great deal on a rental home.  When I was new here, 11 years ago, I had an emergency hip replacement which costed me $130,000 pesos on a day when the peso actually was 10 to the USD.  I paid for it with my debit card.  Does anyone know what a hip replacement in GDL costs these days?  Cuidase mucho!

I paid about 20k usd for a complex hip replacement in Mexico city [2 years back] with one of the best hip/orthopedic surgeons in the world. The cost included flight from Vancouver, 20 days in hospital private room, physiotherapy twice daily, custom meals, topnotch nursing care.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

oh boy this is depressing. I was going to get residente temp or perm and go on imss. I am usually in mexico 6 months a year. Been covered until this dec through my wifes work. Wondering if my wife on  tourist visa could go under me. Anyone know that? I am thinking of just good evac insurance and paying up front. Canadian medicare will pay some. premiums for travel medical are real high in canada esp after 71 and you have anything wrong like diabetes. (even controlled by diet) It would be nice if they offered cheaper with just emerg, rather than all the other stuff bundled in I could easily pay for upfront. Even a high deductible does not lower it much

On 7/26/2019 at 3:25 PM, pappysmarket said:

So CHILLIN, are you trying to imitate Eric Blair, uh, Clueless, uh Bon Belle or are you all one and the same?  Hmm.....

what is that supposed to mean... or are you just mean. all i am doing is reading here. is that allright with you? or am i banned for reading and bothering no one

29 minutes ago, Bonbelle said:

what is that supposed to mean... or are you just mean. all i am doing is reading here. is that allright with you? or am i banned for reading and bothering no one

Calm down and carry on Bonbelle, it is quite evident that you are not all one and the same, at least, that you are not.  You sent out a coupe of false positives that had some people thinking that but that´s all in the past.  Have a good day and keep on doing what you´re doing.  pappysmarket is not mean at all, in fact he´s curmudgeonly friendly.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Bonbelle said:

Ah, Bonbelle, now I see. My apologies sir/madam. Yes, just carry on.  Good day!  Pappy

12 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Calm down and carry on Bonbelle, it is quite evident that you are not all one and the same, at least, that you are not.  You sent out a coupe of false positives that had some people thinking that but that´s all in the past.  Have a good day and keep on doing what you´re doing.  pappysmarket is not mean at all, in fact he´s curmudgeonly friendly.

thankyou i guess i just didnt know why people would mention my name with other people i dont know. nor do they know me. the 1st situation was explained by many and recently i posted what i thought might be valuble information on a couple of all natural items that might help people sleep during the noise and some natural drops for dogs who get fearful of thunderstorms and cohetes as my dogs do. as i said i evidently offended people that post and was unkind to you but have my name thrown in when all i was doing was reading information that is good information especially construction information. i welcome anyone to pm me if there is a problem but right nonw i will only post information that i feel may be of some use for some people. certainly got off on the wrong foot by simply not understanding a long time running deal with someone and went to the defense of someone i did not know and have been hammered ever since. thankyou for your comment..it certainly helped slaint39. bonbelle

• Thanks 1