Chapala.com Webboard

Tony's Chicken

chartiec

I think you should put it back up Bisbee Gal. Somebody will want to know where that particular Tony's moved. Maybe even the OP.

It would be helpful if the OP stated the old location of the one they are looking for... then we'd all be smarter. OP????

Is this the one they used to call "dusty" chicken? That area on the libramento can become pretty fragrant when the chickens start roasting and across the street Fogon de Charlotte fires up their wood oven. There is supposed to be a good pizza place tucked in there too.

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

Is this the one they used to call "dusty" chicken? That area on the libramento can become pretty fragrant when the chickens start roasting and across the street Fogon de Charlotte fires up their wood oven. There is supposed to be a good pizza place tucked in there too.

No, that´s Pollo David, nothing to do with Tony or Abram.

I stopped in at the new location yesterday and bought the 1/2 kilo paquete. It was early and while I waited I was able to watch them cook my tiras and make both col and coditos salads. I could see the majority of their ingredients are purchased at Costco, so all high quality. The food was excellent and the parking and ease of access from and to Madero was a breeze.

If I had any complaints it would involve the lack of gloves (also available at Costco) by the people handling food. I watched the manager use his bare fingers to sample the coditos he was prepping and after popping several in his mouth, he would reach back for another taste. Should he have Hepatitis, this is a real concern, and I would bet he didn't wash his hands after he collected my money either. Also, fans were being used to cool potatoes for the potato salad and also to dry lettuce. I know what accumulates on fan blades and would never consider pointing one at my food from a distance of 6".

I do wish that food handlers here would become more aware of the danger of foodborne illnesses and use better practices.   

• Like 3

On 7/30/2019 at 8:31 AM, chapalence said:

I stopped in at the new location yesterday and bought the 1/2 kilo paquete. It was early and while I waited I was able to watch them cook my tiras and make both col and coditos salads. I could see the majority of their ingredients are purchased at Costco, so all high quality. The food was excellent and the parking and ease of access from and to Madero was a breeze.

If I had any complaints it would involve the lack of gloves (also available at Costco) by the people handling food. I watched the manager use his bare fingers to sample the coditos he was prepping and after popping several in his mouth, he would reach back for another taste. Should he have Hepatitis, this is a real concern, and I would bet he didn't wash his hands after he collected my money either. Also, fans were being used to cool potatoes for the potato salad and also to dry lettuce. I know what accumulates on fan blades and would never consider pointing one at my food from a distance of 6".

I do wish that food handlers here would become more aware of the danger of foodborne illnesses and use better practices.   

Have you noticed that there are no signs in bathrooms reminding employees to wash their hands? When I first noticed that, I thought how wonderful that we don’t have to legislate common sense. Now, I have seen first hand food handlers NOT washing their hands after using the bathroom. It would seem like common sense to wash your hands. But it is about the culture they grew up in. My grandmother used to sample the food with her fingers, mix the sauce with the same tasting spoon. Welcome to Mexico. 

1 hour ago, PapaMarkieG said:

Have you noticed that there are no signs in bathrooms reminding employees to wash their hands? When I first noticed that, I thought how wonderful that we don’t have to legislate common sense. Now, I have seen first hand food handlers NOT washing their hands after using the bathroom. It would seem like common sense to wash your hands. But it is about the culture they grew up in. My grandmother used to sample the food with her fingers, mix the sauce with the same tasting spoon. Welcome to Mexico. 

On the other hand I was in Food Container once and a group of students came in, with a teacher as well. They all washed their hands before eating. So maybe there is change. When I grew up the big brain washing scheme was anti-litter and forest fire prevention. Today's focus, seemingly all over the world, seems to be creating eco-warriors and climate change activists. Fair enough, they have definetely inherited a big mess.

2 hours ago, PapaMarkieG said:

Yeah. Those signs in the bathrooms mean employees always wash their hands. That is why there is no food borne illness in the U.S. 😁

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 10:06 AM, PapaMarkieG said:

No wash-your-hands signs in bathrooms in MEXICO?  They're in every restroom of every restaurant I've been to in Mexico, and due to my work, I've been in hundreds!  I've even seen signs that say, "Si solo veniste a verte en el espejo, lava las manos antes de salir." (If you only came in here to look at yourself in the mirror, wash your hands before you leave.)  Many restaurants go to great lengths to train employees in hygiene; the Mexican Federal Tourism Board awards the restaurant with the "Distintivo H".  It's a long process and an honor to receive that award; look for it hanging on your restaurant's wall, or if it's not hung up, ask about it. 

Here's the link that describes what Distintivo H means for your personal health:   https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distintivo_H

• Thanks 1