Chapala.com Webboard

Mean and Nasty Gringos

Mijo

7 hours ago, Kyle said:

A much too typical "blame the "'victim'" response.Some helpful hints and suggestions go a long way to help someone.

The O.P. though has to remember, every person on this board has their own unique personality. Some are easy going and tolerant, while others get a perverse pleasure out of bashing, sometimes subtle and sometimes with a heavy hand.

The O.P. needs to learn to consider the source and ignore those who are following their own personalities. By and large, I feel most board members are looking to help and sometimes engage in good-natured banter. Learn the difference, and you will get help PRN

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Menudo said:

That’s okay, I like old white guys no matter which way they swing!  Swingers gotta swing, or something like that.  😊

So, you're one of those "Any port in a storm" characters. I've heard about those people...

On 7/25/2019 at 5:29 AM, Ferret said:

I'm laughing because I'm wondering how old the OP is and from where the OP came? Every single time I go back to Canada and say "Good Morning" to someone, they kinda get a glazed look in their eyes and I'm sure they're wondering "Do I know you?" "Why are you talking to me?" "What is your motive?".

I look down to watch where I'm putting my feet. Once you've met the cobblestones face to face a few times, you'll be doing the same.

And I just doubled up reading Bisbee Gal's post. Who's the grumpy one? Spend at least a full year here before trying to change things.

Yes I often have the same experience when I talk to strangers in Canada or foreigners in Mexico. They look at you very suspiciously. But Mexican usually respond in kind. Just saying hello.

• Like 3

On 7/26/2019 at 8:25 PM, bmh said:

God help you if you say good morning to someone you d not know in France... Actualy a cousin and I just do that to see the reaction and t is pretty funny..

They act so offended!  Wild eyes and upturned noses!

• Haha 2

On 7/25/2019 at 11:40 AM, pappysmarket said:

I just read something I have to share:

Stop feeling so entitled! All you deserve is Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

NOT

Free tuition, free healthcare, free abortions, free housing, blah, blah, blah.

There is no such thing as free, my little snowflake. Someone is always paying for it and it sure isn't a politician.

You deserve

Life (enjoy it)

Liberty (preserve it)

Pursuit of Happiness (WORK for it)

For a moment, consider the fact the phrase you revere came forth in 1776, at a time when slavery was legal and at least half the population (us wimmin) did not have the right to vote.  Then trot out your old white guy values before calling anyone a "snowflake". I don't agree with all the "freebies" some advocate, but I am of the opinion that the right to "life" should include some kind of affordable health care for all citizens.  Seeing someone die because he/she can't afford the medication needed is "just not right" for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Health care is never "free", it just appears that way because there's no hassle of billing involved for the individual. Health care in Canada is one of the things that Canadians pay for with their taxes in most provinces. In that aspect, it is hidden insurance and damn well WORTH its weight in gold.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, gringal said:

For a moment, consider the fact the phrase you revere came forth in 1776, at a time when slavery was legal and at least half the population (us wimmin) did not have the right to vote.  Then trot out your old white guy values before calling anyone a "snowflake". I don't agree with all the "freebies" some advocate, but I am of the opinion that the right to "life" should include some kind of affordable health care for all citizens.  Seeing someone die because he/she can't afford the medication needed is "just not right" for me.

Well said in support of your opinion. Just realize that the "rights" that are enshrined are meant to deny the government power over us to impede life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. The "rights" you and others proclaim require the government to take from some and give to others. Just remember that anytime the government takes and gives anything you lose some individual freedom and more importantly, they can change the give/take rules at anytime in the future. Sorry, but anyone who thinks any government program is "free" is a snowflake by definition...IMHO.

• Like 2

Would that we have politicians who would honestly propose a bill and then tell us:

A good faith, and researched, estimate of it's cost.

The means by which it will be paid for, that is tax, special funding, income tax, VAT tax, etc. so that the average voter can understand what it means to them in benefit and cost, thus helping them decide if they feel it's worth it.

Good luck finding such a politician, smoke and mirrors is their stock in trade.

• Thanks 1

With all the shortcomings in the European health care system, you can keep yours.  I worked there and paid 54 % of my wages into taxes, during 20 years ( without ever needing any help myself ). And I am happy that by doing that, my fellow human beings got great free education, a very good railway system and a fair excellent health care system.  Indirectly, well educated and healthy people around me, will also benefit me.

Why would it be that every year the Scandinavians rank among the happiest people in the world....  It is probably not the sunlight

Why not abolish government all together and return to the wild West.

Especially with your health care system, you have nothing to be proud about.

Rony

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Rony said:

Indirectly, well educated and healthy people around me, will also benefit me.

Rony

Beautifully stated Rony, all of it. I zeroed in on the above statement.

Healthy people who take care of what ails them BEFORE they deteriorate, WORK and pay TAXES. Everyone benefits. EVERYONE. America's antiquated health system is a burden that brings everyone down as well. How short sighted can they be.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

IMO, calling people names like SNOWFLAKE is unnecessarily denigrating.  How about giving solid, logical reasons for disagreeing, as would be required in any debate?

Let's start with taxes in general, for the benefit of you semi or hard core libertarians.  Bridges, roads, dams, levees, etc?  Any outcry yet? Elementary schools?  High schools? Where do you folks draw the line?  Health care?  Nothing is truly "Free".  It's a matter of deciding cost/benefit ratio.

s

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rony said:

Especially with your health care system, you have nothing to be proud about.

Rony

Between Medicare, Medicaid, Group Ins. and private policies approximately 90% of Americans have health coverage. By law, nobody can be turned away from an ER room for a true emergency. True, not 100%. Why do non-Americans even care what laws, systems, ways of doing things we Americans have decided to do? What is that superior attitude about? Why is it so many people are trying to get into the US when some make it sound like a Hellhole? Why would I, or anyone, care what some other country chooses in free elections to do? It truly baffles me.

PS Rony, every place on earth gets the same amount of sunlight in a year. Don't talk about cloud cover, just hours of sunlight per year. Exactly the same for every spot on the globe. Don't believe it...look it up.

Do some of you see life as a competition between different countries and somehow feel "proud" or "embarrassed" by the simple fact of where you were born? Let's hear a list of what anyone has personally done to make them feel so proud. No...don't say you voted for the most compassionate candidate (in your opinion). Real accomplishments of passing what you consider important legislation.  Should be interesting.

The amount of envy toward the US on this board is astounding, it truly is.

I was born a White Male in the US and I had nothing to say about it. I feel neither proud nor embarrassed about who I am that I had nothing to do with. I never owned a slave nor supported not letting wimmen vote. If it makes you feel good to puff yourself up about from whence you came, have at it. It says mucho about your true lack of self esteem for what you personally have been able to accomplish. Beware people with long arms, the better to pat themselves on the back.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Between Medicare, Medicaid, Group Ins. and private policies approximately 90% of Americans have health coverage. By law, nobody can be turned away from an ER room for a true emergency. True, not 100%. Why do non-Americans even care what laws, systems, ways of doing things we Americans have decided to do? What is that superior attitude about? Why is it so many people are trying to get into the US when some make it sound like a Hellhole? Why would I, or anyone, care what some other country chooses in free elections to do? It truly baffles me.

PS Rony, every place on earth gets the same amount of sunlight in a year. Don't talk about cloud cover, just hours of sunlight per year. Exactly the same for every spot on the globe. Don't believe it...look it up.

Do some of you see life as a competition between different countries and somehow feel "proud" or "embarrassed" by the simple fact of where you were born? Let's hear a list of what anyone has personally done to make them feel so proud. No...don't say you voted for the most compassionate candidate (in your opinion). Real accomplishments of passing what you consider important legislation.  Should be interesting.

The amount of envy toward the US on this board is astounding, it truly is.

I was born a White Male in the US and I had nothing to say about it. I feel neither proud nor embarrassed about who I am that I had nothing to do with. I never owned a slave nor supported not letting wimmen  the vote. If it makes you feel good to puff yourself up about from whence you came, have at it. It says mucho about your true lack of self esteem for what you personally have been able to accomplish. Beware people with long arms, the better to pat themselves on the back.

So, freedom of speech is limited to the passport you hold ... Hmm

I see constant comparisons between countries here. Nothing new.  

Europe has A LOT of problems too, .....  Just saying that hardly any European would like to copy your health care system, whatever you may say about it and however hard you may try to justify your "first and only me thinking". 

Feel free to stick to your opinion, but be gracious in letting other people also criticise, whatever their race or nationality

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rony said:

So, freedom of speech is limited to the passport you hold ... Hmm

I see constant comparisons between countries here. Nothing new.  

Europe has A LOT of problems too, .....  Just saying that hardly any European would like to copy your health care system, whatever you may say about it and however hard you may try to justify your "first and only me thinking". 

Well, excuse me. I did not intend to defend or indict the US healthcare system. I was merely trying to point out it's what the US voters have decided, for better or worse. I continue to wonder what makes non-Americans so agitated about what goes on in a country that they are not citizens of. Never suggested you shouldn't be allowed the right of free speech, only WHY it seems to be so important to foreigners to tell us how to run our country. I frankly could not care less what Europeans think of our systems not do I have an opinion on how they should run things. The very idea that I, or anyone, would care so deeply about another country truly baffles me. If it's not pure envy, then what is it?

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, pappysmarket said:

Well, excuse me. I did not intend to defend or indict the US healthcare system. I was merely trying to point out it's what the US voters have decided, for better or worse. I continue to wonder what makes non-Americans so agitated about what goes on in a country that they are not citizens of. Never suggested you shouldn't be allowed the right of free speech, only WHY it seems to be so important to foreigners to tell us how to run our country. I frankly could not care less what Europeans think of our systems not do I have an opinion on how they should run things. The very idea that I, or anyone, would care so deeply about another country truly baffles me. If it's not pure envy, then what is it?

Seeing your emotional reaction proves exactly the opposite

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Rony said:

Seeing your emotional reaction proves exactly the opposite

I know...facts get in your way when an emotional decision/solution is truly the "right way", eh?

Don't quit your day job of making that excellent chocolate.

• Haha 1

Even though I use the VA Health System, and my wife has Medicare and Medicare Advantate, we still pay 1/3 of our income for our medical care, in the form of copays, and the deductions from our Social Security. 

Oh, yes, emergency rooms will take you, but you will have a bill for at least a couple of thousand dollars, and it will remain due and payable, with hounding and possible liens.  Yet, in other counties there would be no bill, or an insignificant one.  Once, abroad, I was treated in an emergency room and the bill was $2 for the x-ray film.  Nothing more.  I was a tourist.  Later, I had the opportunity to get to know more about the systems in many other countries.  The USA could do well to emulate many of them.  Our 'for profit system' is out of control.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

I know...facts get in your way when an emotional decision/solution is truly the "right way", eh?

You could also say that not being able to handle the truth/facts turns people emotional.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

By the way....nothing personal.    I like a good discussion. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Even though I use the VA Health System, and my wife has Medicare and Medicare Advantate, we still pay 1/3 of our income for our medical care, in the form of copays, and the deductions from our Social Security. 

Oh, yes, emergency rooms will take you, but you will have a bill for at least a couple of thousand dollars, and it will remain due and payable, with hounding and possible liens.  Yet, in other counties there would be no bill, or an insignificant one.  Once, abroad, I was treated in an emergency room and the bill was $2 for the x-ray film.  Nothing more.  I was a tourist.  Later, I had the opportunity to get to know more about the systems in many other countries.  The USA could do well to emulate many of them.  Our 'for profit system' is out of control.

Well stated and without a sense of superiority...and by an AMERICAN.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Do please excuse those of us from other countries who have empathy for all human beings.

Sorry but the degree of empathy one feels is not directly correlated to how one sees the problem or the solution. For instance, I have a lot of empathy for my Canadian friends...

• Haha 2