Chapala.com Webboard

Mean and Nasty Gringos

Mijo

My observations:

1. This board is a great resource but most posts seem to end with mean and nasty remarks. 

2. Driving here has been fun. I call it organized chaos. Mexicans are so polite on the road. Every time I get cut off or someone doesn’t show courtesy, I look at it’s always a gringo.

3. Walking in the village. I enjoy the Buenos Dias I exchange with the Mexicans. But many gringos look down as we pass and don’t say a word. 

What is wrong with people.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

“3. Walking in the village. I enjoy the Buenos Dias I exchange with the Mexicans. But many gringos look down as we pass and don’t say a word. What is wrong with people”

Just wondering, in which village do you enjoy walking?

Why do you assume there is something wrong with people who don’t say a word to you as they pass? Many people look down when they walk so they do not step in holes or trip on uneven surfaces. For them preventing a broken bone is more important than participating in what is a charming custom and not an obligation. Also, they could be visitors or newly arrived from places where they do not engage in contact with strangers on the street. There is nothing “wrong” with them.

• Like 5

Based on your previous complaining posts and the fact that you arrived here about 3 weeks ago with a Residente Temporal, perhaps you should have researched the area a bit more thoroughly before committing to a move here.  

What happened to Ajijic

Mijo posted a topic in Ajijic/Chapala/Guadalajara

Compared to the other towns along the lake Ajijic is in desperate need of maintenance. The plaza is looking filthy and so is the malecon. Isn’t this village supposed to be the gem of the lake. It has seen better days. Maybe some of us...

Thanks forI’ve been here 3 weeks. I’m staying in Ajijic for now. What happened here? Jocotepec is tidy. Streets are neat. Malecon is beautiful. So is Chapalas. But Ajijic. A little disappointed. A little maintenance goes a long way. 

Went to LCS to check it out. Saw some lady led her dog poop right in front of me and walked away without picking it up. Actually most of the grounds smelled like dog poop. I walked into one of the buildings and noticed that the...

Took the pics of me today to Chapala for my visa temporal and was fingerprinted. The gal said to return in 2-3 weeks. Don’t they send me an email telling me to return to pick up final card??

•  
    •  
    •  
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

3. Walking in the village. I enjoy the Buenos Dias I exchange with the Mexicans. But many gringos look down as we pass and don’t say a word. 

In addition to the reply by XENA, I would like to comment that many foreigners did not grow up in a culture where a greeting when approached is normal. O n one visit to the U.S.,  I said Good Morning to someone that I passed on the street.  They looked at me like I had been let out of an institution for the day.  It is cultural here to greet people, not so much NOB/s.  Like KYLE replied, try saying it first to a foreigner, you may be pleasantly surprised at their reaction.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm laughing because I'm wondering how old the OP is and from where the OP came? Every single time I go back to Canada and say "Good Morning" to someone, they kinda get a glazed look in their eyes and I'm sure they're wondering "Do I know you?" "Why are you talking to me?" "What is your motive?".

I look down to watch where I'm putting my feet. Once you've met the cobblestones face to face a few times, you'll be doing the same.

And I just doubled up reading Bisbee Gal's post. Who's the grumpy one? Spend at least a full year here before trying to change things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ferret said:

I'm laughing because I'm wondering how old the OP is and from where the OP came? Every single time I go back to Canada and say "Good Morning" to someone, they kinda get a glazed look in their eyes and I'm sure they're wondering "Do I know you?" "Why are you talking to me?" "What is your motive?".

I look down to watch where I'm putting my feet. Once you've met the cobblestones face to face a few times, you'll be doing the same.

And I just doubled up reading Bisbee Gal's post. Who's the grumpy one? Spend at least a full year here before trying to change things.

We don't need people here who try to change things.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Why are there so many complainers and whiners? You are alive in a wonderful society, no longer need to work, just relax and enjoy. Chill everyone, this is not paradise but close to it. My Grandfather had a song he liked so much, some of the lyrics were, "enjoy yourself, while you're still in the pink, enjoy yourself, it's later than you think".

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I just read something I have to share:

Stop feeling so entitled! All you deserve is Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

NOT

Free tuition, free healthcare, free abortions, free housing, blah, blah, blah.

There is no such thing as free, my little snowflake. Someone is always paying for it and it sure isn't a politician.

You deserve

Life (enjoy it)

Liberty (preserve it)

Pursuit of Happiness (WORK for it)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

I just read something I have to share:

Stop feeling so entitled! All you deserve is Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

NOT

Free tuition, free healthcare, free abortions, free housing, blah, blah, blah.

There is no such thing as free, my little snowflake. Someone is always paying for it and it sure isn't a politician.

You deserve

Life (enjoy it)

Liberty (preserve it)

Pursuit of Happiness (WORK for it)

I bet I can guess your favorite color Punkin’. 🤠

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Categorizing people in simply good and bad, based on their nationality,  is about as absurd as it can get.   All kinds of people in and from every country !

And if on this board, somebody gets personal, I simply ignore that sign of weakness.   No big deal.   I know who I am....with the good and the bad in me, and what you see is what you get.

By the way....I have also witnessed how in situations of crisis/person in trouble these "mean and nasty gringos" get together in solidarity and help.  Maybe a side that you choose not to see or in your short time here, havent discovered.

That is all I wanted to say about your so called "observations"   mr or misses already know it all

Rony

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5