Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican driver licences in Chapala

This looks pretty clear to me with one question:  Originals or copies or both, Harry.

Obviously the Director of Municipal Transito must have some input to this situation Happy.  I suggest if you question that you talk with him directly since you live in Chapala. 

Fortunately I have a lot of time on my license and don't need one but being able to get renewals locally will be great for the entire community.  Thanks to Harry and Hector for helping to move the process along.

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

This looks pretty clear to me with one question:  Originals or copies or both, Harry.

Obviously the Director of Municipal Transito must have some input to this situation Happy.  I suggest if you question that you talk with him directly since you live in Chapala. 

Fortunately I have a lot of time on my license and don't need one but being able to get renewals locally will be great for the entire community.  Thanks to Harry and Hector for helping to move the process along.

Who says they have done so is more obvious? SEMOV have a manana schedule as reported in the media.

On 7/24/2019 at 10:37 AM, HarryB said:

Community Liaison, Hector Espana Ramos has asked me to assist with the following. Hector has been asked to identify up to 70 people who want to have new or renewed licences. At this point, they are asking for names and new or renew only. If those interested in participating would email me at ms1cb at yahoo.com, I will keep you informed of the process.  Thanks 

Hello Harry - I wrote to the email address you cited here. This is the reply I received: 

From christine bublin ms1cb@yahoo.com

"On Monday bring the below documents to the Chapala Transito Office. This is the old municipal building (yellow and white building on the corner side entrance."

I just got back from Chapala where I was told no licenses will be issued until December. What gives?

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, kmetzger said:

I just got back from the transito in Chapala where I was told to go this morning. No licenses are being issued.

Because they don't have the authority to do so, only SEMOV can because the process is state. Like I said this whole thing smells mainly because trying to get more info

33 minutes ago, kmetzger said:

Hello Harry - I wrote to the email address you cited here. This is the reply I received: 

From christine bublin ms1cb@yahoo.com

"On Monday bring the below documents to the Chapala Transito Office. This is the old municipal building (yellow and white building on the corner side entrance."

I just got back from Chapala where I was told no licenses will be issued until December. What gives?

Read what I said above and my other posts on this. As far as I am concerned this is all a waste of time . How many times do you people have to be told that Harryb, Hector and the Chapala Transito Director have no authority in issuing any sort of Jalisco drivers licenses. Only SEMOV can and their director explained in simple terms "not yet but soon".  When asked, Harry has not fleshed out any information,now has he? It is wise to be wary.

My husband and I went the last time they came out from Guadalajara to renew licenses in Chapala.  It was about 2 years ago.  We stood in a long line for two hours, had all our documents.  They told us the licenses would be ready in two weeks and gave us a date and time to be in Chapala to pick them up.  It never happened.  The officials never showed up.  They kept postponing it until we gave up.  It wasn't just us, but the entire group we had waited in line for hours to get processed.  Ended up having to go into Guadalajara eventually.  Not so sure I would fall for it again.

Guest English Rose
1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

Because they don't have the authority to do so, only SEMOV can because the process is state. Like I said this whole thing smells mainly because trying to get more info

Read what I said above and my other posts on this. As far as I am concerned this is all a waste of time . How many times do you people have to be told that Harryb, Hector and the Chapala Transito Director have no authority in issuing any sort of Jalisco drivers licenses. Only SEMOV can and their director explained in simple terms "not yet but soon".  When asked, Harry has not fleshed out any information,now has he? It is wise to be wary.

If being a thorn in someone's side is not getting the answers you want, why not go and get the answers yourself. Then you can let us know. I appreciate the work these people are doing to let us know of what is or isn't going on in our community.

32 minutes ago, English Rose said:

If being a thorn in someone's side is not getting the answers you want, why not go and get the answers yourself. Then you can let us know. I appreciate the work these people are doing to let us know of what is or isn't going on in our community.

They haven't let you know anything and clearly I  have the answers for myself from where it counts not some nebulous postings with almost zero information about something that probably won't happen just because you want it to. The OP has given you almost zero info and appears to refuse to fill in the blanks. What work has been done you should be asking.

My husband and I submitted copies of our documents at the Chapala Transito Office this morning. It was very quick with no line. We were sent to an office on Degollado to prepay for our first-time Mexican licenses. We then returned to the Transito office, they made copies of our prepayment receipts, and made an appointment for us to return on August 28th to the Oficinas de Aseo Publico (the offices of the public toilets) in Acapulquito for final processing. They had no information on whether written or driving tests would be required.

42 minutes ago, Alessandra said:

My husband and I submitted copies of our documents at the Chapala Transito Office this morning. It was very quick with no line. We were sent to an office on Degollado to prepay for our first-time Mexican licenses. We then returned to the Transito office, they made copies of our prepayment receipts, and made an appointment for us to return on August 28th to the Oficinas de Aseo Publico (the offices of the public toilets) in Acapulquito for final processing. They had no information on whether written or driving tests would be required.

Not in Acapulquito but across from this restaurant of the same name at the east end of Paseo Roman Corona next to the Chapala Yacht Club. And the office you were sent to on Degollado is the SEMOV office.

acapulquito restauurant chapala.jpg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Don't forget that an easy license experience can be had at Ocotlan.

I live in Ajijic and getting my license renewed in Ocotlán four years ago was an easy experience, but it's a long drive taking the La Barca route. Is the road along the north shore of the lake so much worse than driving north and taking route 35?

14 minutes ago, kmetzger said:

I live in Ajijic and getting my license renewed in Ocotlán four years ago was an easy experience, but it's a long drive taking the La Barca route. Is the road along the north shore of the lake so much worse than driving north and taking route 35?

Other than topes, 35 is the way to go. La Barca is a terrible route and may still be on the US State Dept. no-go list.

I decided to go to the Plaza de Torres in Guadalajara after all. Will have to return tomorrow because their license printing and photo setup wasn't working. I learned that you need to have a copy of the CURP page itself. I thought since my CURP number was printed on my expiring license, that would be enough. Fortunately they have a gal who prints out the CURP page for you for 20 pesos. I also learned that they want an ORIGINAL of your utility bill. I had brought a printout of all pages of my Telmex bill and that satisfied the clerk.  

39 minutes ago, HarryB said:

despite the dire warnings of the oracle of Chapala, word is the CHAPALA TRANSITO OFFICE was packed yesterday with licence applicants. Numbers will follow.

Too bad I showed up at the CHAPALA TRANSITO OFFICE on Hidlalgo at 9 am and the officer sent me away, telling me no licenses would be issued until December. Too bad the person answering from the email that you supplied said zip about WHAT TIME to show up.

• Thanks 2