Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican driver licences in Chapala

Community Liaison, Hector Espana Ramos has asked me to assist with the following. Hector has been asked to identify up to 70 people who want to have new or renewed licences. At this point, they are asking for names and new or renew only. If those interested in participating would email me at ms1cb at yahoo.com, I will keep you informed of the process.  Thanks 

16 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Can you explain the point of this please because the vast majority by far that will be using this when it comes back will be Mexicans.This board is primarily frequented by foreigners.

Perhaps, but I doubt it, they will be doing something like we experienced at the old office in Riberas. Our facilitator took us over there and asked for 2 $500 peso notes which he put in a manilla folder. We walked in with him and he went to the Jefe's office. Shortly after everyone else inside was told to wait outside and a female employee took us to a touchscreen machine and took the test for us while we watched. About 10 minutes later we had our Mexican licenses and everyone else was let back in. A  different way of doing things but as we were legal driving with our Texas licenses and all that was taking place was giving us a Mexican license , for a fee, to replace that Texas license, we didn't feel that anything super illegal was happening. We did feel bad for the people who were forced outside, since it was pouring rain. That's how it was done 15 or so years ago and we were not into telling the locals how they should be doing things. Let the sad faces begin, LOL.

4 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Perhaps, but I doubt it, they will be doing something like we experienced at the old office in Riberas. Our facilitator took us over there and asked for 2 $500 peso notes which he put in a manilla folder. We walked in with him and he went to the Jefe's office. Shortly after everyone else inside was told to wait outside and a female employee took us to a touchscreen machine and took the test for us while we watched. About 10 minutes later we had our Mexican licenses and everyone else was let back in. A  different way of doing things but as we were legal driving with our Texas licenses and all that was taking place was giving us a Mexican license , for a fee, to replace that Texas license, we didn't feel that anything super illegal was happening. We did feel bad for the people who were forced outside, since it was pouring rain. That's how it was done 15 or so years ago and we were not into telling the locals how they should be doing things. Let the sad faces begin, LOL.

That's why the Chapala office was closed[corruption] for quite some time and will be reopened again soon. Why would SEMOV care about 70 foreigners when hundreds of Mexicans will be using the reinstated facility.

• Like 1

I am fairly sure there a lot more than 70 non-Mexicans who live here and are driving with a Mexican drivers license.  It is a significant benefit for those of us who do drive irregardless of national origin to be able processed locally.

Come on people send your name in..............

Mine expires this month. I'm planning to go to Plaza las Torres branch. Lazaro Cardenas Avenida 8 de Julio to renew. Somewhere (here?) I read that a current utility bill is required and if Telmex all of the pages. I haven't received a Telmex bill in the mail in ages. I can't print it online either (always get the message that PDF is unavailable. I went to the office here in Ajijic and they printed the first page with my name and address on it only. I also read somewhere that you need the original bill, not a copy. I can't use my CFE bill because my landlord's name is on it. Any suggestions?

13 hours ago, kmetzger said:

Mine expires this month. I'm planning to go to Plaza las Torres branch. Lazaro Cardenas Avenida 8 de Julio to renew. Somewhere (here?) I read that a current utility bill is required and if Telmex all of the pages. I haven't received a Telmex bill in the mail in ages. I can't print it online either (always get the message that PDF is unavailable. I went to the office here in Ajijic and they printed the first page with my name and address on it only. I also read somewhere that you need the original bill, not a copy. I can't use my CFE bill because my landlord's name is on it. Any suggestions?

The download page at Telmex defaults to the 'next' month, before that bill is even available.  Change that month to the previous month (on the drop down menu) and you will be able to download, then print.  I.e., rIght now August is the default, but when I change it to July, I get the current bill that isn't due until mid-August.  

• Like 1

the director is trying to do something for the foreign community. Those who responded should have gotten an email from Hector by now. If not, please take the below documents to the municipal transito office, old municipal building (yellow and white building on Hidalgo, side entrance) on monday.

* passport , fm2 or fm3 
*curp
* electricity or telephone bill the most recent
* blood type

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, HarryB said:

the director is trying to do something for the foreign community. Those who responded should have gotten an email from Hector by now. If not, please take the below documents to the municipal transito office, old municipal building (yellow and white building on Hidalgo, side entrance) on monday.

* passport , fm2 or fm3 
*curp
* blood type

During what time frame, Harry?

We (2 of us) have not received anything from Hector.

Thank you and Hector for facilitating this for the community.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, HarryB said:

* passport , fm2 or fm3 
*curp
* blood type

I suggest that you be more informative before you get people to go to our municipal transito office who have absolutely no authority to issue any sort of Jalisco  licenses. That is the purview of SEMOV who has the only authority to do so. In addition there is no such thing as an fm2 or fm3 anymore. Who is this director you speak of and what is he the director of and which government?

• Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 8:09 AM, happyjillin said:

That's why the Chapala office was closed[corruption] for quite some time and will be reopened again soon. Why would SEMOV care about 70 foreigners when hundreds of Mexicans will be using the reinstated facility.

Corruption again.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, cedros said:

Corruption again.

For one person, they see corruption. For another, they see doing something that is purely bureaucratic and does not affect anyone else as simply being more efficient.  Our cook once had to go into Guadalajara because there was a misspelling on her youngest son's birth cert. She took the earliest bus and was 3rd in line when they opened. The clerk told her she would get the corrected copy in 10 days to 2 weeks. He said for $100 pesos he could do it for her while she waited. It was her choice, she paid and got it handled and enrolled him the next day. She admitted she should have noticed the error a long time ago.  Some would call it corruption and others would say they much appreciated being able to quickly solve a problem. To each his own.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

For one person, they see corruption. For another, they see doing something that is purely bureaucratic and does not affect anyone else as simply being more efficient.  Our cook once had to go into Guadalajara because there was a misspelling on her youngest son's birth cert. She took the earliest bus and was 3rd in line when they opened. The clerk told her she would get the corrected copy in 10 days to 2 weeks. He said for $100 pesos he could do it for her while she waited. It was her choice, she paid and got it handled and enrolled him the next day. She admitted she should have noticed the error a long time ago.  Some would call it corruption and others would say they much appreciated being able to quickly solve a problem. To each his own.

I love the expression "quickly  solve a problem " and will use it unabashedly when explaining how the Mexican System works . Why indeed create more agrovatation to you life style 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HarryB said:

* passport , fm2 or fm3 
*curp
* blood type

They don't need copies of my old license or a photo to make a new license?