Chapala.com Webboard

Using the hand held toll tag

I am told the "Tag Pase" comes in either a version that affixes to the windshield or a hand held version similar in size to the old audio cassette tapes.

I have the latter one, hand held "portatil."

If you have this version, what techniques have worked best for you in using it at the automated toll gates?  For example, hold it up to the windshield or out the driver's window?

Also, since the toll receipt is important in case of problems caused by the road resulting in accidental damage, how do you get that receipt at the automated toll gates?

Thank you!

Best success to hang it (with really sticky tape, like Duck) to the front of the rear view mirror, printing facing forward. Porceed slowly thru the lane. I am not sure how the technology works, i.e. does the device send out a "ping" every 3-5-7-? seconds? Definitely not the same technology as in the US where you can speed by at 70 mph and it reads you.

Not sure about the receipts and the insurance coverage. Suppose you could pay cash at the first toll booth and get a receipt there and use the device thereafter.

5 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Also, since the toll receipt is important in case of problems caused by the road resulting in accidental damage, how do you get that receipt at the automated toll gates?

Good point..  If you have to call the Green Angels they ask to see your toll receipt..

The Portátil tag is about 2x3” housed in a plastic case. While it probably can be used by hand, it seems to be designed to adhere to the windshield below the mirror with 2 little velcro pads you receive with the tag. As Tom says, you have to note the placement of the overhead sensor, stop before you are under it and roll slowly until it reads the card. At times you have to back up and try again if the sensor doesn’t read the card. Driving while holding the card would seem difficult. The card is designed so that it can be easily moved from one car to another as opposed to the square sheet which is somewhat permanent.

You don’t get a paper receipt with a tag. The Pase phone app displays each use. If you need the Green Angels on the cuota and only have a tag you’d be helped.

I got a Portátil tag as a replacement for a square one that arrived DOA. I ordered the tag online, paid for it by credit card and received it in the mail.

Our tag comes in a clear hard plastic case that attaches with double-sided velcro to your windshield. Note that if you have another tag (a Permanently-affixed NTTA Texas, for example) the transponders mess with each other, so you have to remove one for the other to work. The PASE tag also sends a toll-by-toll update with time, amount, and toll location to my cell phone; in case of proof to the Green Angels, you could call up your account and verify paid passage.

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Well I paid $150 for this one, it has no velcro anything and it appears it may have been opened.  Probably a dud.

Have you tried to activate it yet? https://www.idmexico.com.mx/idmexico/ Prepago is when you add money to the card before usage. Pospago ties the tag to a credit card charged at each tollbooth.

It did come with a clear plastic clamping bracket but no velcro.  The case can only be "stuck" to the windshield in one direction and that requires the print facing towards the inside of the car.  If the print has to face out I'll have to remove it from the bracket.

I was able to enter it on the web site.  Haven't put money on it yet.  Shows there as inactive.  We don't have a Mexican credit card, would the system accept U.S. Visa card?  I know I can take it in and have it read at Oxxo and put money on it.

How does this thing work?  Does it have a battery?  How long do those last?  What happens if it stops working and you still have money on it.  

Tolls to Juarez are over $100 U.S. each way, would like to use the thing but don't want to get stuck if it doesn't work.

Sorry to ask all these dumb questions but it is damned hard to get the information off their web site.  If someone has found a good user guide, even in Spanish, please post the link so I can go read it.  Thanks!

12 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

It did come with a clear plastic clamping bracket but no velcro.  The case can only be "stuck" to the windshield in one direction and that requires the print facing towards the inside of the car.  If the print has to face out I'll have to remove it from the bracket.

I was able to enter it on the web site.  Haven't put money on it yet.  Shows there as inactive.  We don't have a Mexican credit card, would the system accept U.S. Visa card?  I know I can take it in and have it read at Oxxo and put money on it.

How does this thing work?  Does it have a battery?  How long do those last?  What happens if it stops working and you still have money on it.  

Tolls to Juarez are over $100 U.S. each way, would like to use the thing but don't want to get stuck if it doesn't work.

Sorry to ask all these dumb questions but it is damned hard to get the information off their web site.  If someone has found a good user guide, even in Spanish, please post the link so I can go read it.  Thanks!

I have not gotten the passe site to accept a USA credit card. We put money in the account at the 7-11. The Textag does interfere with the Passe. We tape a square of aluminum foil over the Texas chip on the outside of the windshield and it works perfectly. I believe we can order a Textag that is detachable but have not yet done so. Too bad they toll system did not invest in a better system like in Florida or Texas where you can drive beneath the reader at highway speed. 

Drivers usually have to pay a deposit to obtain a transponder, which is about the size of a deck of cards. This device is placed on the inside of the car's windshield behind the rearview mirror. A transponder is a battery-operatedradio frequency identification (RFID) unit that transmits radio signals. The transponder is a two-way radio with a microprocessor, operating in the 900-MHz band. Stored in this RFID transponder is some basic account information, such as an identification number.

Antennas, or electronic readers, are positioned above each toll lane

19 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

The writing and bar code face the interior of the car.

12 hours ago, geeser said:

I have not gotten the passe site to accept a USA credit card. We put money in the account at the 7-11. The Textag does interfere with the Passe. We tape a square of aluminum foil over the Texas chip on the outside of the windshield and it works perfectly. I believe we can order a Textag that is detachable but have not yet done so. Too bad they toll system did not invest in a better system like in Florida or Texas where you can drive beneath the reader at highway speed. 

Drivers usually have to pay a deposit to obtain a transponder, which is about the size of a deck of cards. This device is placed on the inside of the car's windshield behind the rearview mirror. A transponder is a battery-operatedradio frequency identification (RFID) unit that transmits radio signals. The transponder is a two-way radio with a microprocessor, operating in the 900-MHz band. Stored in this RFID transponder is some basic account information, such as an identification number.

Antennas, or electronic readers, are positioned above each toll lane

So what happens if it stops working and you have some significant money on it?  Lost??

I will tell you what happens, you are shit out of luck, we have had Spanish speakers call and I have all my receipts and they say after 3 years that it is registered to Uber now not me now. It is a crock and yes we lost money.

When it did work it would work most of the time to the border and then when we returned it would not work at all, then I would call and they said put another $200p on it and it would work again sometimes, but now it belongs to Uber for some reason, so somehow, I have the tag but someone else owns it, and we have explained this over and over that I am the original owner of it and they don't care.

• Haha 1

Portatil means you can move it from car to car. It is not  designed to be hand held. Place it with letters facing you. If you have a tag for the USA placed behind you mirror then put the transponder towards the drivers side at least 18 inches away and there is no interference

The Portatil seems to be much stronger. . I have made 40+ booth crossings and it has been read 100% of the time with no backing up and re-entering necessary as happened more than once with the old foil style. Just best to leave space between your car and the car ahead. Wait until they exit to drive forward slowly.