Chapala.com Webboard

What happened to Ajijic

Mijo

Compared to the other towns along the lake Ajijic is in desperate need of maintenance. 

The plaza is looking filthy and so is the malecon. Isn’t this village supposed to be the gem of the lake. It has seen better days. 

Maybe some of us expats should form a group to perform some maintenance. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mijo said:

Compared to the other towns along the lake Ajijic is in desperate need of maintenance. 

The plaza is looking filthy and so is the malecon. Isn’t this village supposed to be the gem of the lake. It has seen better days. 

Maybe some of us expats should form a group to perform some maintenance. 

Oh my!!!……………….:unsure:

• Like 1

Mijo the Chapala government is what happened, putting it succinctly.  If you think it is bad in Ajijic, drive around Riberas.

However municipal services are alive and well in Chapala itself.  I suggest the Chapala government's facebook page for a great place to go see everyone's tax dollars at work mostly there.

Although we've given up seeking a Pueblo Magico designation a Pueblo Trashico designation is a shoe it.  :D

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

I'm not crazy about jumping into this fray, but I would like to correct the misperception that work is only being done in Chapala to the exclusion of Ajijic.

There has been a backlog of work needed in all the municipality's pueblos and if you look at the gobierno's fb page you will see  that work has been being done not only in Chapala, but in San Nicolas, Santa Cruz, San Antonio, Ajijic, and in Atotonilquillo (completely forgotten by the last admin from the looks of it) also.

As someone who frequently drives in these pueblos I will honestly state that they all needed work and continue to need work, Chapala included. The argument that Chapala gets served more tater tots than Ajijic when Ajijic taxes pay for the entire bag is simply ridiculous. 

• Like 8

Funny, everytime I go to Chapala during the week I see municipal employees out there sweeping up the trash, doing major road work, etc.  Here, no sweepers and very minimal patchwork and that's pretty much it.  And If one follows the Facebook page regularly, the majority of the stuff they brag about is in Chapala.  

Denial is not a river in Egypt.  

The neglect you refer to has been building for a long time and whether you care to admit it or not it is far more pervasive outside of Chapala.  This government didn't begin that neglect but it continues the practice of devoting most resources to Chapala.  The neglect of Ajijic actually really took hold in earnest about 5 years ago.  

Newbies may not know this but those of us who have lived here for over a decade have watched this develop steadily.

Mijo your eyes don't deceive you.  

I agree totally.  Ajijic is in a mess as far as maintenance is concerned.  Someone has to speak to the Delegation representative and if that does not work, send a delegation of people to meet with the Mayor of Chapala.  Any work that has been done recently in Ajijic has been funded or led by expats.  As long as this keeps up, Chapala will just sit back and say "let the expats do it". 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arroyos said:

Any work that has been done recently in Ajijic has been funded or led by expats.  As long as this keeps up, Chapala will just sit back and say "let the expats do it". 

Or alternatively they will say "the foreigners like it rustico". So humor them, and be polite, but listen the local voters, who particularly in Ajijic, is driving those voters out. What would you do if a local candidate, a populist, runs this as part of their campaign "restrict foreigners from owning any more residential properties in Ajijic".

Or closer to the truth "it's all about the votes, the source of power and government funding". Only a handful of foreigners here can vote.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Or alternatively they will say "the foreigners like it rustico". So humor them, and be polite, but listen the local voters, who particularly in Ajijic, is driving those voters out. What would you do if a local candidate, a populist, runs this as part of their campaign "restrict foreigners from owning any more residential properties in Ajijic".

Or closer to the truth "it's all about the votes, the source of power and government funding". Only a handful of foreigners here can vote.

How about "All foreigners out of the Chapala Municipio"? You might change your tune if CH was included. Foreigners Out! Go back where you came from and fix the problems in your own countries.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Wouldn't affect me one bit. I am an enthusiastic immigrant to Mexico, now working on my citizenship, which will be a proud day. I would recognize such rhetoric as a politician looking for easy votes, which have no chance of passing constitutional reform. In reference to your clever (?) linkage, this IS my own chosen country.

3 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Wouldn't affect me one bit. I am an enthusiastic immigrant to Mexico, now working on my citizenship, which will be a proud day. I would recognize such rhetoric as a politician looking for easy votes, which have no chance of passing constitutional reform. In reference to your clever (?) linkage, this IS my own chosen country.

They could shut your drive for citizenship down in a New York minute if they wanted to.

• Like 1

Guest English Rose
On 7/23/2019 at 1:52 PM, chapalence said:

I'm not crazy about jumping into this fray, but I would like to correct the misperception that work is only being done in Chapala to the exclusion of Ajijic.

There has been a backlog of work needed in all the municipality's pueblos and if you look at the gobierno's fb page you will see  that work has been being done not only in Chapala, but in San Nicolas, Santa Cruz, San Antonio, Ajijic, and in Atotonilquillo (completely forgotten by the last admin from the looks of it) also.

As someone who frequently drives in these pueblos I will honestly state that they all needed work and continue to need work, Chapala included. The argument that Chapala gets served more tater tots than Ajijic when Ajijic taxes pay for the entire bag is simply ridiculous. 

Work may be started in Chapala but once the photo shoot with the dignitaries takes place it will not be finished. How much longer till the brown parking meters are removed? They are unsightly but the big story went on and on and on.....and they will probably be there for another few years.

Then there are the cameras that were installed at the big intersection by restaurant row in Chapala. I don't remember when they were installed but are they used, still work?

And then the 3 month project burying the utilities and resurfacing Gonzalez Gallo for 3 blocks. It was a slow winter work project that lasted for more than a year. Then along came the big photo shoot and if you drive past that section, you will see that the utilities are not connected to the houses. That was 2015........and it is also the only place I have seen a speed bump only in the parking lane!

So, yes Chapala has its problems too. Would I leave? NO!

People seem to think Ajijic is the most important pueblo in the municipality, it isn't. All the crowing about how wonderful it is has resulted in so many houses and fracs being built with no control at all. Now, when it is so crowded by foreigners who have worked steadfastly on buying up everything and CHANGING a quiet, small and beautiful little village into a mini metropoli just like the one the left, they whine and complain. The Mexicans bear the brunt of it all, losing their ability to have their family and friends live in the pueblo where they all have long family histories. Ajijic = Gringolandia

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, luvsdawgs said:

People seem to think Ajijic is the most important pueblo in the municipality, it isn't. All the crowing about how wonderful it is has resulted in so many houses and fracs being built with no control at all. Now, when it is so crowded by foreigners who have worked steadfastly on buying up everything and CHANGING a quiet, small and beautiful little village into a mini metropoli just like the one the left, they whine and complain. The Mexicans bear the brunt of it all, losing their ability to have their family and friends live in the pueblo where they all have long family histories. Ajijic = Gringolandia

You got that right but I  can think of another name for the place.

There are a lot of Mexican owned and operated businesses in Ajijic that earn a livelihood for a lot of Mexican families and are patronized principally still by Mexicans although the foreign population does contribute significantly to the success of some of those small businesses, up and down the central streets and the Carretera.

Forget about the property taxes that everyone is arguing about, and who gets the lion´s share,  and think about the Mexican owned businesses that rely on that income for their livelihood.

Sure, there a few restaurants that are specialty places for a certain population that could look like "Gringolandia", but the majority of the hundreds of businesses still have to have Mexican participation to make it.  Chapala, even more so. Even Walmart lives or dies according  to their share of Mexican clientele.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1