Chapala.com Webboard

T or F? A friend can drive my MX car on her tourist visa?

Debate here  in our household. Can a friend visiting me on a Tourist Visa drive my Mexican plated car? I know in the US my British friends could drive my  US car.

We were told some years ago by a Real Estate agent that if our car is plated Mexico only we registered, insured members--myself and my spouse--can drive the vehicle.  No friends, no Mexicans, no visitors from other countries on Tourist visas.

I believe they can BUT I would have whoever is the registered owner of the vehicle give them a permission slip to carry with them. Check with your insurance company if there are any restrictions regarding coverage.  Tourists can rent mx plated vehicles.

• Like 3

On 7/22/2019 at 1:03 PM, kimanjome said:

Debate here  in our household. Can a friend visiting me on a Tourist Visa drive my Mexican plated car? I know in the US my British friends could drive my  US car.

We were told some years ago by a Real Estate agent that if our car is plated Mexico only we registered, insured members--myself and my spouse--can drive the vehicle.  No friends, no Mexicans, no visitors from other countries on Tourist visas.

As long as your friend is an adult, and has a valid drivers license, is not drunk, they can drive any Mexican plated car.

No letters needed ... Like for any other driver, make sure they know where to find the proof of registration & proof of insurance. :)

The only restrictions are on who can drive a foreign-plated car.