Chapala.com Webboard

FYI: Expat Health Care

NLU

Yep you need to be able to go back and also set up your health care docs before you leave.  That is what we did.  Our supplemental also reimburses for emergency medical care here, the burden is on you to collect all the required reports and receipts.  

Closest place with plenty of docs and hospitals is McAllen, TX.

• Like 1

With the cuts in medicare, or increase of coverage, depending on political outcomes, I wouldn't be surprised if Medicare introduced new residency rules requiring IRS level of compliance. Most public funded care in the rest of the world does this. Canada, for example, requires 3 month wait to get back on board, and (roughly) no longer than six months out to keep coverage. I know this is already in place for Part D. It would really hurt the large number of American seniors living low cost close to the border, like those in Rosarito who travel for care in San Diego.

Chillin, that is just wild speculation on your part IMO. Have ANY data to back that up? Sort of like me saying "I wouldn't be surprised to see Amlo make all expats other than Tourists pay $20,000 pesos a month to SAT" for the privilege of living here. Baseless of course but you get my drift.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Please re-read the article posted by NLU. It says, from the government's own statistics that 413,000 retired workers are now living outside the U.S.A. collecting social security. The highest amount were living in Canada (70,000) while Mexico had 33,000. All these people would also be entitled to Medicare, without contributing to State taxes, possibly Federal though. That represents a lot of money and is low lying fruit to legislators, especially State ones, of all political stripes.

Plan accordingly is what I am saying. Using a family members address, or mailbox, will not cut it if this goes into effect.

23 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Thank goodness you don't need to worry about Medicare CHILLIN.

I am really warmed by Canadian Chillin's concern for us poor oppressed Americans.  It is a real tribute to his caring that shortly after the 2016 election he became so concerned for our welfare.  We should be so thankful our northern neighbor is looking out for us, no?

:D

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2019 at 12:14 PM, CHILLIN said:

With the cuts in medicare, or increase of coverage, depending on political outcomes, I wouldn't be surprised if Medicare introduced new residency rules requiring IRS level of compliance. Most public funded care in the rest of the world does this. Canada, for example, requires 3 month wait to get back on board, and (roughly) no longer than six months out to keep coverage. I know this is already in place for Part D. It would really hurt the large number of American seniors living low cost close to the border, like those in Rosarito who travel for care in San Diego.

I know a couple of Canadians who live at Lakeside and are still registered in the Canadian health care system..they use a family address and do occasional  visit's  as the needs arise..etc...Every place has a "system" and there is always people trying to "cheat",..... its just not a Mexican phenomenon ..you do what you have to do..so please do not be judgmental...like not having insurance in Mexico and some good Samaritan starts a GOFUNDME fund raiser