Chapala.com Webboard

Available veggies

tomgates

Costco had some nice Washington cherries, both Bing and Rainier (from Chelan Fresh). Nice cherry tomatoes on the vine and CA peaches. No more brussel sprouts or french green beans. No more yellow onions from the local SL or Pancho's.

• Like 1

WA grows the best cherries in the world. Previously here were the CA cherries, a very poor crop and poor quality. And no, Mexico does not grow Rainier cherries. 

On my comment about Costco having peaches, just broke them down to make cobbler and they are perfect free-stones.

• Like 2

Wal-Mart has Washington cherries, 40 pesos a basket.

The only cherry that would thrive here, and supposed to great tasting, is the Surinam cherry, a tropical fruit.

I am talking to our gardener about raising a warm weather apple tree, Anna. It is grafted onto a quince tree, and this area was at one time the major exporter of membrillo to Europe. Also looking at a peach tree which grows well in Spain, Melocoton. Will keep them in large containers to limit their growth. The root balls have to be cut back every few years.

I bought the cherries at WalMart. True to their sad ability, they were almost stale-dated and suffering from exposure. They were Rainier cherries, and some were very good, but many were not and the whole package started to deteriorate by the 2nd day. Unfortunately, this is WalMart's stock in trade. I'm always amazed that a store with their buying power cares so little about their own fresh produce lakeside. I doubt this would fly in Guadalajara.

Just bought some more and there's street vendors all over as well including near the plaza in Ajijic. What is this silly obsession with Costco and Washington state branding when the cherries available all over here are giant and tasty and the juices will run down your chin and they're probably from Washington anyway. Too funny you people!

• Like 1

I remember probably 20 years ago seeing cherries for sale in the huge market in GDL. The sign said Dos por un peso.  At the time 1 peso was a little more than 10 cents US. I hope they have come down in price since then.

Cherries certainly don't have the right climate to grow in Mexico, although I saw one news story that has someone trying. Of course the cherries in the street are imported. Since it is the season, and since Rainier and Bing are the most exported varieties, of course they are most likely from Washington. I don't think anybody here really cares as long as they are good. We just be talkin' bout 'em.

On 7/23/2019 at 2:08 PM, CHILLIN said:

Wal-Mart has Washington cherries, 40 pesos a basket.

The only cherry that would thrive here, and supposed to great tasting, is the Surinam cherry, a tropical fruit.

I am talking to our gardener about raising a warm weather apple tree, Anna. It is grafted onto a quince tree, and this area was at one time the major exporter of membrillo to Europe. Also looking at a peach tree which grows well in Spain, Melocoton. Will keep them in large containers to limit their growth. The root balls have to be cut back every few years.

I rented a house which had the best peaches anywhere. I never ate peaches as a rule, but these were outstanding. I was giving bags of them to everyone I know and still had much left over. I do not know what kind they were, just big, sweet and juicy. After I moved from there the landlord had it and a mango, maybe a few other trees, cut down. A big loss, but he did not realize it.