Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard
camillenparadise

Emilia's fish and chips

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, camillenparadise said:

What kind of fish does Emilia's use?

She claims to use Shark -- the same fish and same recipe as she used at the Poutine Place.   Tastes like shark to me. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were there a couple of days ago.  They have changed their menu.  No more fish and chips and no more tacos.  There was nothing on the menu for lunch that we were interested in because we were wanting a more substantial meal so we went somewhere else.  So sorry they changed the menu as we really liked the fish and chips and tacos.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bob312 said:

She claims to use Shark...

I have never been there but they probably used dogfish, a small species of shark, hence the "baby" shark name. I has been said that dogfish is what is sold in the UK for most of the world famous fish and chips, so I tried it at Taco Fish La Paz in Guad. While it has more flavor than basa,  no me gustó.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

I have never been there but they probably used dogfish, a small species of shark, hence the "baby" shark name. I has been said that dogfish is what is sold in the UK for most of the world famous fish and chips, so I tried it at Taco Fish La Paz in Guad. While it has more flavor than basa,  no me gustó.

Yes, I remember that -rock salmon. I think all shark fishing has been banned, also all snakes are protected, even the poisonous ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, Lakeside7, I do expect a credible answer from this board...much more so than from some dazed young waiter who has been told to say Anything but "Basa" even if that's what it is.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, camillenparadise said:

Yes, Lakeside7, I do expect a credible answer from this board...much more so than from some dazed young waiter who has been told to say Anything but "Basa" even if that's what it is.

Most members of this board have very little knowledge of meat from animals, fish and fowl including some who have blogs about food. Just a smidgen more than dazed waiters perhaps but they will tell you anyway. Buenos suerte.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

Yes, I remember that -rock salmon. I think all shark fishing has been banned, also all snakes are protected, even the poisonous ones.

Check that eyeglass prescription perhaps.  Shark FINNING has been banned in many countries, the act of cutting fins off and then discarding the rest of the fish, many times still alive. Shark fishing seems to be alive and well. Collecting rattlesnakes in Texas is also still alive and well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was referring to Mexico. The new regulations are quite strict. Only one shark a day, and counts as five towards your daily limit of ten. I don't about commercial limits, but they really are the pirates of the seas, and there is lot of pressure to stop the dishonest ones. My PV lawyer grew up fishing sharks, I was impressed, until I found out he meant spiny dogfish, they have been fished to almost extinction off U.K., Ireland and France.

https://www.sancarlosmexico.com/fishregs.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

. My PV lawyer grew up fishing sharks, I was impressed, until I found out he meant spiny dogfish, they have been fished to almost extinction off U.K., Ireland and France.

https://www.sancarlosmexico.com/fishregs.html

But not in Mexico so why mention those distant shorelines. See what I mean about knowledge camilleinparadise.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, barcelonaman said:

Cod and haddock are by far the most popular fish for uk fish n chips.

In Ireland as well, that is what it has been for years, and any other civilized country, about fish and chips.  I gave up on fish and chips long ago in Mexico and will not return.

Stick with huachinango dorado crujiente or chicarrón de pescado, if you can find it.

Edited by slainte39
SPELLING

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering what the price was in U.S. And the U.K. These are dine in restaurants which publish their menus online. Half pound of cod, one pound of fries. High of 11 PS in London,  $15 in Seattle.

Most of the cod and haddock today is imported as frozen from Norway and Russia. As our resident seadog and food expert will tell you, frozen fish is never as good as fresh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deep-fried in batter, anyone would be hard-pressed to tell the difference. I wouldn't be able to tell you what I am eating; only the fleshiness, firmness, etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Australia in the fish and chip shops you are usually given your choice of fish among several for your fish and chips.  I liked the whiting which is a different whiting from what is found along the north american coast.  Straight from the ocean it was great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2019 at 1:11 AM, Wookie said:

We were there a couple of days ago.  They have changed their menu.  No more fish and chips and no more tacos.  There was nothing on the menu for lunch that we were interested in because we were wanting a more substantial meal so we went somewhere else.  So sorry they changed the menu as we really liked the fish and chips and tacos.

 

Had lunch there for the first time last Sunday.  A grilled brie and pear sandwich on savory (sourdough maybe??) date and nut bread.  Good side salad.  Best sandwich I have had in a long long time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alpha1 said:

Halibut is best... 💰💰💰

I agree with that one. When I was a kid I used to drive with my father to the Northern fishing port of Prince Rupert. He would pick out a couple four or five foot Halibut, then back to the farmhouse, where he would cut them into steaks with a handsaw, then wrap them in freezer paper.

Freezing meat, especially fish cause ice chrystals which burst the tissue, making the fish soggy and full of water. It depends on your level of palate. Many chefs and their followers like the firmness and solid flaking of fresh fish, although the taste may be close, textures and mouth feel cannot be faked.

Later in life, my now ex-brother in law, used to handline fish for halibut, in his 14 foot aluminum boat, 150 lb test line, and a 6 inch jig. If he hooked up, he had to find a landfall, and bring it to shore. Many fishermen (Or fishers in newspeak) freaked out with a wildly thrashing halibut  on their deck, got their guns and rifles - killed the halibut, but sunk their boats in the process.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have fished many times in the ocean with a handline.  Caught many fish and kept a club in the boat in case of unruly fish.  I wasn't sport fishing, I was fishing for something to eat.  Small sharks were great eating.  Off the coast of Texas we called them sand sharks but I am sure they have a different name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the original post wasn't about fishing or how good the sandwiches are ... there's no fish and chips to be had at this restaurant.  However, if a pear and brie sandwich on nut bread substitutes for fish and chips with your taste buds then we have it on good authority you will be satisfied.😊

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am surprised that no one here has hooked up with the idea of "fish fries" or "shore lunches" locally as lucrative and political fundraisers, especially lent and fridays. Someone could rent out their carnitas fryers. In BC the ones I have attended (native) are usually filleted whole salmon, fastened to a cedar plank, with fry bread. Memorable.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2019 at 10:50 PM, Wookie said:

Since the original post wasn't about fishing or how good the sandwiches are ... there's no fish and chips to be had at this restaurant.  However, if a pear and brie sandwich on nut bread substitutes for fish and chips with your taste buds then we have it on good authority you will be satisfied.😊

The brie here sucks sour balls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG! You made me laugh out loud chapalence. I don't know where to get double cream brie here but I certainly understand and sympathize with your very dryly observed assessment.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...