Chapala.com Webboard

Maybe they thought it was a gun?

This is in Mexico/Guadalajara.

I was recently making a quick trip to California and I decided to take back a cordless drill that needed to be exchanged. 

I get to security and am told I can't take it on the plane. No reason given. I asked if it was due to the battery. It was a "dry" battery, and not the Lithium-ion battery that is not allowed on flights.

No matter what, either I "surrender" the drill or miss the flight.

Here is the exact drill I was taking (without the light)

I'm sure someone is happy with their new drill.

image.png.df2f07847c986f9533b31e28005a41f0.png

• Sad 1

I have had a couple of boxes of screws confiscated from my carry-on by security prior to an AeroMexico flight out of Mexico City.  Agent told me no "hardware" items allowed in carry-on baggage.

My banned items were;

a ceramic serving plate - I could break it into pieces and use as a weapon;

fishing lures - the hooks could be used as a weapon

a disposable salt grinder (with salt) - no explanation. I was told its on the prohibited list as of Nov 2018

I think the Terrorists won.

SunFan

• Thanks 1

I had a round, semi hollow, jadeite disk, Aztec or Mayan in origin,  no questions about antiquity, only that it would not be allowed because I could pop somebody in the coconut with it, I guess.  If I had put a string through the hole in the middle and worn it around my neck I think I wouldn't have had a problem.

Imagine the fate of a screener who lets someone on with something, ah, marginal, and then something happens. Adios screener at best, maybe in jail at worst. Thanks to the bad guys we all suffer.  Think hard before you try to put anything that could possibly be construed as verbotten in your carry-on...unless you don't mind  giving it away.

• Like 1

There is a website which can help:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/all-list

While I realize this is TSA and therefore only a US thing, the US security rules are often adopted by other countries. The TSA site even provides a Messenger/Twitter link where you can send questions or pics and ask if they are allowable.

11 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Extra cost  for check  in luggage?.

Aha, I think we've finally gotten to the real crux of the complaint! What part of "They don't want you to be able to get your hands on certain things during the flight" is difficult to understand? "OK, then they need to let me check my luggage for free."  Knock yourself out making that argument to the owners of the airline, LOL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, NoVaDamer said:

There is a website which can help:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/all-list

While I realize this is TSA and therefore only a US thing, the US security rules are often adopted by other countries. The TSA site even provides a Messenger/Twitter link where you can send questions or pics and ask if they are allowable.

Quite a list. And I see that drills and drill bits are NOT allowed in carry-on.

The one that surprises me is mirrors are allowed. A mirror of 3" to " can be broken and a shard used almost as well as a razor-blade (you see that all the time in movies).

• Haha 1

The one that surprises me is mirrors are allowed. A mirror of 3" to " can be broken and a shard used almost as well as a razor-blade (you see that all the time in movies).

That might tend to exclude more than 50% of the population from flying...Women
  • Like 1

Perhaps slightly off topic, but the posts made me recall the story of guy who always packed a bomb in his luggage when he flew. Because the odds there would be two bombs on the same flight were practically zero. Old story. Different times. 

I had the exact thing happen last summer when leaving Texas. They said it would have been ok in checked baggage . My son had just dropped me off so I called him back, he ran inside and the agent handed it to him (small airport). On my next flight I put it in checked baggage.