Chapala.com Webboard

Cinchona

CHILLIN

It anybody is interested in history, look to Wiki for a very high interesting rabbit hole, with many twists and turns. The mystery is whether it is still grown in Mexico. An ex Confederate, Maury, was trying to establish colonies in Mexico for ex Confederates. The trouble was he teamed up with Emperor Maxmillian, who had a very short term in power. Pancho Villa and Juarez couldn't abide with them because the U.S. Army had been secretly supplying them. The largest settlement was to be called Carlota, and they had groves of Chichona, possibly in Yucatan, from seeds bought in the U.K. But I have unable to find a Mexican grown source.

Found lots of recipes for delicious sounding homemade/bar made tonic water, but make sure you follow the safety instructions. Quinine can become dangerous in high does. Tonic water contains very little quinine compared to the medical doses of old.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 3:49 PM, CHILLIN said:

It anybody is interested in history, look to Wiki for a very high interesting rabbit hole, with many twists and turns. The mystery is whether it is still grown in Mexico. An ex Confederate, Maury, was trying to establish colonies in Mexico for ex Confederates. The trouble was he teamed up with Emperor Maxmillian, who had a very short term in power. Pancho Villa and Juarez couldn't abide with them because the U.S. Army had been secretly supplying them.

Pancho Villa came along,  long after the time of Maximiliano and Benito, like 50, 60 years.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Pancho Villa came along,  long after the time of Maximiliano and Benito, like 50, 60 years.

I was just testing you all, 😥😃😣🙄😣😮🙄🙄😏🥰🙂😄

Of course it was Benito Juarez, and he was supplied by the U.S.A. 

6 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Someone apparently can't afford to smoke the good stuff anymore. Constantly getting facts, dates, etc. mixed up. Sad.

That is too funny. I have got more top shelf strains than you can even imagine. White Widow, Pineapple Kush, Acapulco Gold, Panama Malawi - but no soup for you.

Keep it classy San Diego.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, slainte39 said:

So how did we do?...…...other than earning 12 emojis?  

You did good Slainte. My main point was the winding history of the quinine bark. Guano trade is also interesting. I make a lot of mistakes lately, posting from Kindle Fire, the keyboard and auto correct are very frustrating. My tower I am converting to a media server and gaming machine.

4 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

You did good Slainte. My main point was the winding history of the quinine bark. Guano trade is also interesting. I make a lot of mistakes lately, posting from Kindle Fire, the keyboard and auto correct are very frustrating. My tower I am converting to a media server and gaming machine.

Nah...you're just hoarding that good stuff.  How many mushrooms did it take to concoct that excuse? Just funning ya, no slap intended.