Chapala.com Webboard

Bobby's Hotel on the beach

17 minutes ago, heidinrick said:

I was just curious. Heidi and I were watching one of those crime shows and a guy got whacked at Bobby's by the Sea. This one is in Rosarito. Obviously a different "Bobby"!

Bobby had a B&B in a beach town south of Manzanilla, but I heard it was sold.

1 hour ago, gringal said:

Bobby had a B&B in a beach town south of Manzanilla, but I heard it was sold.

South of Manzanillo, in Cuyutlan …..state of Colima

Four of us stayed there last year for a week, but I would hardly call it a B&B as we never saw any breakfasts  :D:D

Just a house about 1 block up from the beach that starting to look it´s age but OK.  Would probably never go back as eating establishments there are not anywhere near close to the lake area and Manzanillo is little too far to go every time you want a meal.

He was trying to sell it at that time, don´t know if he succeeded or not, haven´t spoken to him lately.

I have not been to Bobby's place in Cuyutlan but sure miss his La Tasca in Ajijic. (If it is the same Roberto). Good memories from time gone by.

It was a place I met " Pedro":rolleyes: .....who used to snort on this webbord and sounded like a complete "#$@&%".  I was shocked that he could actually carry an intelligent conversation.

• Haha 1

Nope, not the same "Roberto". You are referring to Roberto Cerda, the wonderful guitarist/singer who owned the La Tasca restaurant/bar across from La Nueva Posada and performed there several years ago. I am not sure where that fine musician is these days... maybe on the coast.

The "Roberto" being discussed here is restaurateur who owned Roberto's Restaurant, in several places, Lakeside.  

3 hours ago, RickS said:

Nope, not the same "Roberto". You are referring to Roberto Cerda, the wonderful guitarist/singer who owned the La Tasca restaurant/bar across from La Nueva Posada and performed there several years ago. I am not sure where that fine musician is these days... maybe on the coast.

The "Roberto" being discussed here is restaurateur who owned Roberto's Restaurant, in several places, Lakeside.  

Rick, I believe he still has his establishment in the Manzanillo area, entrance road to Las Hadas, (Salagua, Colima), on the right hand side, that has always done real well.

Haven.t been there for a year and a half, so don´t know for sure.

The "Roberto" being discussed here is Bob Snyder, long time restauranteur and caterer in the Chapala area.

On 7/18/2019 at 4:07 PM, heidinrick said:

I was just curious. Heidi and I were watching one of those crime shows and a guy got whacked at Bobby's by the Sea. This one is in Rosarito. Obviously a different "Bobby"!

If you are referring to Rosarito Beach, that is on the northern Baja Pacific coast just south of T.J. Spent many wonderful weekends there at the old Rosarito Beach Hotel when I lived in the Los Angeles area...about a 4 hour drive. 

12 hours ago, RickS said:

Yes,. Roberto Cerda is the Roberto I miss and his La Tasca .. I am glad to hear that he is doing well in Manzanillo.

Roberto (Bobby) who owned Roberto's in several places is owner of La Terraza.  As Ferret stated above. 

Thanks for clarifying  Slainte39. I do not think I know Bob Snyder (who is in Cuyutlan?)

Is that the same Robert Snyder who wrote an e-book called  "Ajijc Mexico Living the Dream"

On 7/18/2019 at 6:05 PM, slainte39 said:

South of Manzanillo, in Cuyutlan …..state of Colima

Four of us stayed there last year for a week, but I would hardly call it a B&B as we never saw any breakfasts  :D:D

Just a house about 1 block up from the beach that starting to look it´s age but OK.  Would probably never go back as eating establishments there are not anywhere near close to the lake area and Manzanillo is little too far to go every time you want a meal.

He was trying to sell it at that time, don´t know if he succeeded or not, haven´t spoken to him lately.

Cuyutlan used to be a big seaside resort when there were passenger trains from GDL.  After a big earthquake it basically died and has never really recovered.  A lot of potential as yet unrealized.

5 minutes ago, cedros said:

I thought the ocean at Cuyutlan was not very inviting.

That's pretty much true of all the direct oceanfront beach along the coast.  Too much surf and undertow.  The best beaches are in the bays or otherwise sheltered.  OTOH the temperatures are more moderate and the sea breezes better on the pacific front beaches.

The black sand beach at Cuyatlan will burn the soles off of your feet. That's the reason for the boardwalks. And the surf can be life threatening, even for a good swimmer. That's why many of the beachfront homes also have pools.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, gringal said:

It has at least one good place to eat on the waterfront and several lakeside locals have built fine homes there.

The one good place is good because the others are so bad.  Hot sand, dangerous surf,  lack of restaurants,  and a dozen freight trains a day, at all hours, hauling containers, rumbling through town, doesn´t make the place very attractive.  It´s a long ways from living up to any potential.  Never went to the beach once to spend much time in a week´s stay.  Mostly in the house pool and A/C, and that was Feb.

Islander…….Bob Snyder is the present operator of the old El Serape restaurant, don´t know what he calls it.  Don´t know if he has written any books, but he used be across the street and to the west where he is now, which is now called Janelle´s Garden or something like that.

Robert Snyder, AKA "Bobby", operates La Terrazza, lake side and next to the strip mall with the medical supply place and the liquor store at the west end of Ajijic. I doubt that he's written a book, but he is a fine chef.

Since Robert or "Bobby" is a fairly common name, the subject this thread is no doubt about another "Bobby".

Janelle's Garden is called exactly that.  Good food at a reasonable price, especially lunches.

7 hours ago, gringal said:

Robert Snyder, AKA "Bobby", operates La Terrazza, lake side and next to the strip mall with the medical supply place and the liquor store at the west end of Ajijic. I doubt that he's written a book, but he is a fine chef.

Since Robert or "Bobby" is a fairly common name, the subject this thread is no doubt about another "Bobby".

Janelle's Garden is called exactly that.  Good food at a reasonable price, especially lunches.

Except for the fish and chips which the waiter said was "sea bass", after questioning the owner, she finally admitted she purchases "basa", which she thought was sea bass.

Oh well, at least it´s mush and chips for those determined folks who I can´t talk out of ordering fish and chips. My friend agreed, once is enough.

On 7/20/2019 at 3:45 AM, Islander said:

Yes,. Roberto Cerda is the Roberto I miss and his La Tasca .. I am glad to hear that he is doing well in Manzanillo.

Roberto (Bobby) who owned Roberto's in several places is owner of La Terraza.  As Ferret stated above. 

Thanks for clarifying  Slainte39. I do not think I know Bob Snyder (who is in Cuyutlan?)

Is that the same Robert Snyder who wrote an e-book called  "Ajijc Mexico Living the Dream"

Roberto Cerda's BandB is actually in Santiago, near but not in Manzanillo....saw him last month when he came up to Ajijic for a concert.